Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travelers' to do list

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I almost forgot....if you're interested in sewing or any fabric arts, make sure you check out the Harris tweed on Lewis. It's the island's most famous product and has a special protection status (only wool fabric hand woven or traditionally woven in the outer Hebrides is allowed to call itself Harris tweed). You can buy it at some of the Harris Tweed Hebrides galleries around Stornoway and the prices aren't bad for high quality wool fabric, but I recommend the Lewis Loom Centre. It's a sewer's dream there, stuffed full of fabric and remnants and run by a somewhat eccentric man who is passionate about the fabric and happy to tell you all about it.

There are also a few smaller mills that you can visit and see them weaving the fabric. Unfortunately, we missed our chance (I think it was just outside of Carloway). We saw the sign, but it was around 5 pm and we were worried about finding a place to camp before dark (when you're on foot and the landscape is damp, this is a HUGE issue). I still regret it. It would have been interesting to see!

You can learn a bit more about Harris tweed and where to find it here: http://www.harristweed.org/
    Thanks! This is right up my alley. The youngsters get the cities, but I get the tweed. heh

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
    X