Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crafty Artistians and Your Skills

Hail!
    I know I am not the only one in this group who has a craft hobby. What do you do in your spare time that is artistic or crafty?
    I have quite a hobby of carving wood and stone, and making jewelry out of the end results. When I get the chance, I'll post pictures of some of my work.
    What do you do?
    Last edited by Norse_Angel; 20 Apr 2015, 18:08.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Crafty Artistians and Your Skills

My life consists of crafting, since I often need to sell my art.

Just a few of my usual spare time crafts are:
    -Doll making
    -Felting
    -Nalbinding/Crocheting/Knitting
    -Wood burning
    -Soap & Candle Making
    -Bone Carving
    and Taxidermy.
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
      My life consists of crafting, since I often need to sell my art.

Just a few of my usual spare time crafts are:
      -Doll making
      -Felting
      -Nalbinding/Crocheting/Knitting
      -Wood burning
      -Soap & Candle Making
      -Bone Carving
      and Taxidermy.
      When you say doll making, do you mean Poppets? Poppets are fun
      as well, what do you mean by Taxidermy? Do you mean the art of stuffing and preserving a dead animal, or are you talking about bone extraction? I collect skulls, so I've been through that whole deal. I also carve bones, including some of the skulls.
      Which on an off topic, if anyone has an abundance of human skulls, feel free to send me on. I will love you forever.
      - Finn's Saga

Comment

Hmm I'm a crafty crafter. Now most of the time this has to do with fixing something up or making something work for me budget wise. Such as using a tool box for my make up organizer. Or putting together a curtain for my wire caddy in my bedroom via pillow sheet and bungee cord.

But on traditional stuff?
        I like to knit scarves (And sometimes attempt other crazy shapes like, gasp, flowers like most knitters. I make scarves for winter gifts. I found knitting from my nana. But also found it extremely beneficial during my darker depressive days. It's practically impossible to knit and feel any depression or anxiety or anything other than knit one pearl two. It's so relaxing.

I can needlepoint and I used to needle point Marilyn Manson bookmarks! So crafty gothic of me.

I like to craft $2 thrift store men's tees. I pick up things like Marvel tees and stuff. I cut the sleeves. Shorten and tighten them (I have notorious t-rex lil skinny arms). I v neck them. Dazzle them up.

I make flower dispalys for my hair. You know those flower clips women pay tons of money for? I use Dollar Store flowers and doll myself up. I did it for the Ren faire. Of course being Hispanic, I can sorta just get away with it at work as well.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Mostly sketching, but if it can be done, I can do it. Except knitting. I can't knit.

Mostly art.

Comment

I wish I could draw on a regular basis. Anytime I try, the majority just turns into scribbles and doodles. Can never bring myself to actually draw SOMETHING instead of everything, you know? I only collect art, but I feel content this way.
            - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
              When you say doll making, do you mean Poppets? Poppets are fun
              as well, what do you mean by Taxidermy? Do you mean the art of stuffing and preserving a dead animal, or are you talking about bone extraction? I collect skulls, so I've been through that whole deal. I also carve bones, including some of the skulls.
              Which on an off topic, if anyone has an abundance of human skulls, feel free to send me on. I will love you forever.
              I make poppets, and fabric dolls from muslin and calico. They're usually gaurdians or vessels.

I flesh, tan, and mount animal skins. I keep and articulate the bones and make crafts/jewelry out of animal parts as well. I have 2 human skulls (from Haiti) but they were gifts from a friend so sadly I cannot part with them. However, I do have an abundance of animal skulls, aha.
              "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Human skulls are expensive... Like up to $6000 expensive. Cheapest I've found was just over $1000. I know if I go to any South American Country, I'll find a way to get a human skull. My old roommate joked about asking her cousin who is apart of one of the cartels in Mexico if he could ship a victims skull. Would have made her but I feel that's in bad tastes. I'll get one eventually though.

My god father has a very large room that he keeps all his skulls. He works with the public works in his town, as waste management. One of his job is to pick up any dead animals on the roads of the village. His collection ranges into the hundreds, shelves upon shelves. He's known at work for it, he'll bring in a dead animal during lunch, and start stripping away the fur and flesh. Needless to say, he's a fun guy. For a congratulation gift on my girlfriends pregnacy, he gave me a freshly dead coyote to extract. You could only imagine the look on my girlfriends face. "You are not bringing that into the house. No no no" ahaha
                Last edited by Norse_Angel; 22 Apr 2015, 10:21.
                - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                  Human skulls are expensive... Like up to $6000 expensive. Cheapest I've found was just over $1000. I know if I go to any South American Country, I'll find a way to get a human skull. My old roommate joked about asking her cousin who is apart of one of the cartels in Mexico if he could ship a victims skull. Would have made her but I feel that's in bad tastes. I'll get one eventually though.
                  Go to Paris, tour the catacombs. I understand that people have a tenancy to snag skulls.

I also collect skulls. My favorite is a beaver. Big teeth

I also have a nice Blesbock, and a warthog.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have a small sized collection, and I say small because of my God father. My favorite, though being my smallest, is my crow skull. Very fragile, but simply remarkable. The coyote skull, I ended up carving intricate patterns into. I also have two cat skulls, several raccoons, and fragments of a deer skull. Also, a small rabbit skull.
                    - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Go to Paris, tour the catacombs. I understand that people have a tenancy to snag skulls.

I also collect skulls. My favorite is a beaver. Big teeth

I also have a nice Blesbock, and a warthog.
                      As well, with Paris, I don't think customs or TSA would look upon a stolen human skull with a smile. Also, a trip out there would be as expensive as me buying a skull from a reputable source. But how I would love to go one day.
                      - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                      X