Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Auschwitz guard admits guilt

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    When we look at how history is written,we note that it tends to favor the victor of any long conflict. I do wonder how we would be thinking if Germany had won that war.
    The current crop of Tea Party Republicans would be in power, doing their thing, getting their way, and enjoying the benefits of their philosophy.

IMHO.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well well,thought game indeed,that is a frightening idea,but weirder things have happened in history. I think no one really considered the path that politics would take in Germany at the time. Hind sight is 20-20,but not so clear when it is right there staring you in the face.

BTW,not trying to kill the thread...just musing is all. Godwin's Law may not apply because the subject of the thread is kinda already there.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        When we look at how history is written,we note that it tends to favor the victor of any long conflict. I do wonder how we would be thinking if Germany had won that war. Would there perhaps be American or English generals that were seen as war criminals. Just a thought game...we WON,so just be a true believer in the idea,truth always wins out,no matter what.(Even when it clearly does not)
        It depends on what you mean by Germany winning. If you mean, Germany conquers the world then we'd be wondering what evil divinity* backs Hitler and how to kill the bastard. If you mean Germany manages to end the War before the giant Soviet monster next door eats it or the US starts making cities glow in the dark then it depends on what they're holding.

* This is not really a joke. Germany had too few resources and too many enemies to take the globe. If D-Day utterly failed then Europe would have involved a lot more Soviet client states not a successful Third Reich. If D-Day failed and Hitler managed to stall the Soviets (via application of divine assistance) then there's a good chance of Berlin glowing in the dark come 1945. Pop culture likes to see WW2 as an epic struggle. In some ways it was but it was never a fair fight. The Axis attempted to punch way above their weight class and they did some damage but once their opponents started really getting into it, the Axis was doomed.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

See The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I mention a book that is about The Germans winning,for the life of me I can not remember right now the authors name. He wrote the story that "Total recall" is based on I think

Found it..
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001140/?ref_=tt_ov_wr
            Philip K. Dick

The man in the High Castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle

- - - Updated - - -

Damn B. De,great minds and all that..
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
            X