X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your creation story?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Everyone has such great stories. Only if they were true. I'd totally dig it.

My story: There was nothing. Then something. Soon there will be nothing. Hold on to the ride.

This is probably why I'm an atheist.

and lazy.
    But if they were true, they wouldn't be myths now would they?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I always liked the story of the turtles creating the world. I think that's Polynesian?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I always liked the story of the turtles creating the world. I think that's Polynesian?
        'It's no use. I'm afraid it's turtles all the way down.'
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

This thread inspires me. I've always thought that myths about creation are somehow distressing but seems like it's not the case.

Now all I need is a myth of my own!
          baah.

Comment

This thread inspires me. I've always thought that myths about creation are somehow distressing but seems like it's not the case.

Be sure to let us know when you find one. I can't wait to get some proper time off work and start modifying my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              Be sure to let us know when you find one. I can't wait to get some proper time off work and start modifying my own.
              How are those things found?
              baah.

Comment

Many, many moons ago in an Anthropology class I took entitled "Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion" (yes, it was a real class, all about the religious practices around the world, from mainstream to little villages on forgotten Pacific islands), we sat down and wrote our own myths as a group. The idea was that one person told a short story to the class, and then every few days a different student would re-write it as if he or she was the next generation telling it. By the end of the semester, it had turned into this totally genuine sounding legend! Maybe try something like that!

Comment

How are those things found?
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Exactly what I was eluding to Thal. The story we used for that class I took was simple. A boy and his grandfather went fishing, talked as boys and grandfathers tend to do, then came home and shared their catch with their family.

By the end, it turned into a tale of how a man went in search for food to feed his starving village. Lost and losing hope, he fell to his knees and shouted at the sky for guidance, when the Great Grandfather Spirit appeared to him. The Spirit took pity upon the man, and caused water to bubble up from the ground, teaming with fish. One of which, Brother Catfish, rose from the surface and struck a bargain with the man. In return for a continual bounty for his people, the man promised to honor all of the spirits of nature and to pass those practices down to his children.

Comment

I believe that the spirits have existed as long as there have been elements and that the gods have existed for as long as there have been beings to worship them. I don't really have a complicated creation story.
                      "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Thanks Thalassa and Munin-Hugin!
                        Lately I've been attracted to the idea of storytelling, now I found good use for it!

But well, I shall stop harassing this thread now.
                        baah.

Comment

I don't believe I can receive divine revelation, so my understanding of creation is whatever New Scientist and phys.org report
                          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                          But that day you know I left my money
                          And I thought of you only
                          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by I Don't Know View Post
                            I don't believe I can receive divine revelation, so my understanding of creation is whatever New Scientist and phys.org report
                            I've been thinking of resubscribing to the New Scientist. I stopped getting it because I was too busy doing other things, like staying up half the night on msn (gosh, remember when that was a thing?), so didn't read it. I've noticed my vocabulary is getting smaller, and my memory of details diminishing. Now that I DO have time to read at work, maybe I should stop thinking about resubscribing and just do it.

(if it weren't for the New Scientist, I'd never have discovered teratoma.. how much that enriched my life!).

Comment

Originally posted by I Don't Know View Post
                              Its not about divine revelation, its about creativity in extended metaphors!
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

I personally believe that God, or the "Supreme Divine" made the Big Bang and after that everything just took off on it's own. Stars, planets, life, etc.
                                "Well I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer,
                                The future's uncertain and the end is always near"

Comment

Working...
                                X