Gone the way of the dodo--Welcome to the Anthropocine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone the way of the dodo--Welcome to the Anthropocine

This is the cutest animal you've probably never heard of.

Meet the vaquita. Its babies are the size of a loaf of bread.

It will likely be extinct in a few years.

There are 97 left.

Your grandchildren won't even know they ever existed.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Gone the way of the dodo--Welcome to the Anthropocine

Meet the Northern White Rhino.

There are 5 world wide, and only one (elderly for rhinos) male.

He requires a 4 man guard that had to remove his horn to protect him from poachers.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

This is my favorite sea turtle.

In just 35 years, the number of nesting females has declined from 115,000 to 35,000.

Like other sea turtle species, they are at risk from poaching for egg and meat consumption, the destruction of nesting sites from beachfront development, disorientation of hatchlings from the artificial lighting created by those developments, and accidental capture by commercial fisherman (among other things).

The one thing that can help is dedicated volunteers to nest sit, relocate at risk nests, and help corral the babies to the sea. If you live in a warm water coastal area, this is often something the whole family can take part in.

This guy is my favorite, but all of the sea turtle species are endangered (the most endangered sea turtle is actually the Kemp's Ridley which has only 7-9.000 nesting females).

https://[video=youtube;afgsYchpD_Q]h...?v=afgsYchpD_Q[/video]

To give you some perspective of the population decline, this is what the mass nesting of the Kemps Ridley mentioned in the video from 1947:

sigpic

Comment

This is the last wild horse species.

They were extinct in the wild, but were able (from captive populations) to be reintroduced to Mongolia, Russia, China, and even Hungary.

And the P-horse conservation work here at the Smithsonian. (the video is awesome....I want to be that woman)
        sigpic

Comment

Don't feel too bad.
          Five animals back from the brink of extinction:
          Grey Wolf
          American Alligator
          Grizzly Bear
          Peregrine Falcon
          Whooping crane

So. There's hope!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Don't feel too bad.
            Five animals back from the brink of extinction:
            Grey Wolf
            American Alligator
            Grizzly Bear
            Peregrine Falcon
            Whooping crane

So. There's hope!
            There are some others too...Ithe polar bear is a mixed bag (depends on the region and subspecies), the gray seal...

Unfortunately, the diminishing species outnumber the increasing ones. In a way, I find it very interesting. We've basically put life in a blender (by moving species around), set up huge constrictions on its survival (habitat degradation), and now we just have to wait and see. On the other hand, its horribly depressing.

Because lets face it, the vaquita is cute.

Its babies are little bread loaf sized dolphins.

You can't get cuter than mini dolphins.

(Makes me feel bad for this guy, just discovered and already just about wiped out...he doesn't even have a common name!)
            sigpic

Comment

Then you have this...Panic attack concerning extinction,maybe a bit overblown?...who knows.

Earth is on track for a mass extinction, and humans are to blame, study says.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...619-story.html

Wake up call?...or even last call.....
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

What about the passenger pigeon?

There used to be billions of them in a single flock.
                A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

The Otter in the UK was nearly extinct, and was brought back by banning hunting them, control of farming pesticides. around water courses and breeding.

Comment

Working...
                  X