US Supreme Court declares gay marriage legal in all 50 states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Supreme Court declares gay marriage legal in all 50 states

I really thought this would be a 6-3 vote, not 5-4.
    Attached Files
    A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

I really thought this would be a 6-3 vote, not 5-4.
      Doesn't matter, still passed.

If you focus on the gritty nasty details, it only subtracts from the actual thing you ought to be celebrating, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinjin View Post
        Doesn't matter, still passed.

If you focus on the gritty nasty details, it only subtracts from the actual thing you ought to be celebrating, right?

Not really. This makes it close enough to challenge with more legitimacy.

But still enough to PARTY!
        A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Not really. This makes it close enough to challenge with more legitimacy.

But still enough to PARTY!
          All that matters to me is that the ones that want to get married, can get married.

Nothing else matters, great song, and applies to this just nicely.

Party for two, or more?

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
            It seems to me that NOT allowing same sex marriage is what's really conflicting with the first amendment then nooo, how dare you? Now that it is legal how can they possibly resist the contageous virus that is same sex marriage?.. yea, I get it.
            When they get down to the nitty gritty, it goes like this (I do not agree with this, but it is the logic they are using): You have a justice of the peace, etc, who performs marriages from the state, but is against gay marriage for religious reasons, being forced to conduct to marriage of a gay couple. The argument is that you are now infringing on that person's rights. Some churches are thinking that they will be forced to perform gay marriages (which isn't the case).

You have to remember, we're a country where corporations have been given religious rights. They can deny certain medical coverage based on the owners' religious beliefs. Where we draw the religious freedom line is a very grey area here and one that we are still sorting out.

All that being said, HOORRAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Yay for gay divorces. Because it seems all the gay celebs have been married and divorced a few times over. Welcome to the sacred sanctimony of marriage your straight humans have been enforcing.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Haha, a friend today congratulated me on this ruling. I thought it was hilarious. I said "Gee, thanks. If I was an American citizen, I could now marry whomever I wanted. But I'm Canadian, so I've actually had this opportunity for a while."

Mostly art.

Comment

One of my favourite comments that popped up several times was "That's it...I'm moving to Canada." People made the same comment after the Supreme Court ruled in favour of Obamacare. Like, do these people even research the place before they threaten to move there due to frustration over their conservative beliefs? Canada might have a Conservative prime minister, but it also legalized gay marriage in 2005 (and has had socialized universal healthcare for decades, on that front).

Comment

I have to say I have read some weird political BS about Gay rights,BUT this is just so weird it seems psycho.

Alan Keyes Suggests Charleston Massacre Was Gay Rights Terrorism

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...ghts-terrorism
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      I have to say I have read some weird political BS about Gay rights,BUT this is just so weird it seems psycho.

Alan Keyes Suggests Charleston Massacre Was Gay Rights Terrorism

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...ghts-terrorism
                      That is so offensive I can't even...
                      It's like that one guy who compared yesterday to 9/11. It's just incredibly offensive.
                      "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

What I say about people who say "I can not marry same sex couples because of my religious belief" is,if your religious belief prevents you doing your job,then quit your job,problem solved...

- - - Updated - - -

What I really do not understand is why Christians would object to gay marriage. If I understand their predictions concerning GM,it will kick off the apocalyptic wrath of God,and also allow Jesus to arrive in his cloud of rapture machine,and all the Christians get the get out of earth free cards. So,in a way the courts are doing them a solid,right?????

Indeed,religion is a strange thing,even when it is what you keep saying you want,when it happens you seem to panic...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                          Just a small question after reading some of this... what is your first amendment... and how do equal rights ruin that? I'm confused... (yea. I know these people are nuts, still like to know what I'm laughing at^^)
                          The First Amendment reads, in part (the "establishment clause"); Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion; or prohibit the free exercise thereof. They don't understand that because of the First Amendment clause "or prohibit the free exercise thereof" they cannot be forced to perform any marriage that is against their religious beliefs. They further fail to understand that no marriage performed in any religious house, no matter how much incense, chanting, hosannas and amens is valid without a civil license. Clergy are given the right by the state to sign marriage certificates only as a nod to tradition, but in marriage, God takes a back seat to US law.
                          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

A whole bunch of gay people had sex last night. And America didn't fall apart.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The real question is Duce,if you had sex last night,and the earth did not move,is that because "God" was not watching you because he was playing Halo...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                                What I really do not understand is why Christians would object to gay marriage. If I understand their predictions concerning GM,it will kick off the apocalyptic wrath of God,and also allow Jesus to arrive in his cloud of rapture machine,and all the Christians get the get out of earth free cards. So,in a way the courts are doing them a solid,right?????
                                It's not that. It's from the Bible in Leviticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with a male as with a woman, such a thing is an abomination. Then Paul took it up and in Romans and Corinthians he admonished against homosexuality. But the words he used did not refer to homosexuality as we know it. It was against ritual sex and prostitution in the pagan temples. In fact, he used words and phrases that were arcane even in his day, so no one really knows what he was talking about. But homosexuality is as titillating a subject as any for prurient minds. So why don't Christians follow all the other Levitical injunctions? Because they cherry-pick, backstroke, back peddle, and shuck-n-jive when it suits them.
                                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
                                X