Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you learn about your religion best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you learn about your religion best?

I've noticed a lot of people saying the best way to learn how to practice a pagan religion is to read. When it comes to mythology, yes, I agree.

However, when it comes to learning how to practice, I've actually found that trying to read about it is really confusing and stressful- I actually almost gave up because of that! I actually DID give up for a while. But, the pull towards the pagan path was too strong, and so I gave it another try. And I can't tell you how happy I am that I did. I'm not giving it up this time.

I found that the way I learn best is TALKING to people. Like on here. I ask questions and get answers from real people, but the best things about it is one, I get MULTIPLE opinions instead of the one the author has. And, if I'm still confused I can inquire further- you can't do that with a book. One other thing is I find I get better, more concise answers from real people- books tend to beat around the bush too much for me.

I also learn better by trying something, even if I don't know exactly what I'm doing, then seeing how it goes and going back and learning more if it goes wrong. Sometimes I find it's better to just DO it, otherwise I stress way too much.

So if you ever wonder why I post way too many questions on here, that's why xD I've joined a couple other pagan forums in the past, but they were all EXTREMELY rude and sometimes downright mean. Everyone here is so nice and knowlegeable!

So how do you learn best?
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: How do you learn about your religion best?

For me you got to different questions going here. Religion is the structure and dogma that supports your beliefs. That is acquired by reading, experience and seeing. Then there is Spirituality which is the mystical aspect of religion and that can only be learnt and experienced through doing I think. It can't be taught, it can't really be explained and can barely be discussed as it is different for each of us in how it touches us. So when we talk about spirituality we tend to be speaking about things that have a commonality to them not the actual spiritual sensation we experienced and how it changes us inside.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My method involves doing as much wrong as possible, noting the negative effects, then not doing those things again.

This is a very slow method, many people find it problematic because it is actually difficult to tell the difference between negative and positive effects, but it does stave off the boredom.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You have Staves? COOOOOL...so like sticks,right???
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          My method involves doing as much wrong as possible, noting the negative effects, then not doing those things again.

This is a very slow method, many people find it problematic because it is actually difficult to tell the difference between negative and positive effects, but it does stave off the boredom.
          Hey, that's exactly what I do! Yay, I thought I was the only one who did it like that

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          For me you got to different questions going here. Religion is the structure and dogma that supports your beliefs. That is acquired by reading, experience and seeing. Then there is Spirituality which is the mystical aspect of religion and that can only be learnt and experienced through doing I think. It can't be taught, it can't really be explained and can barely be discussed as it is different for each of us in how it touches us. So when we talk about spirituality we tend to be speaking about things that have a commonality to them not the actual spiritual sensation we experienced and how it changes us inside.
          True, and very philosophical I might add. I was kinda just wondering if anyone else preferred to learn by making mistakes and learning from them instead of sitting there reading- that's perfectly fine, but it just doesn't work for me ^^

Comment

Tbh I feel like the times I've learned the most about my faith were when I let myself really consider the possibility that I had no idea what I was doing, what I believed in, or how the universe really functioned (this is always pretty much the case, but sometimes I get all excited by my theories and forget that).

Contemplating, mucking about in uncertainty and trusting where my thoughts and feelings lead me has often been more influential than either reading books or engaging in a specific practice. Not to downplay the importance of the books, people and practices that have influenced me, of course!

But I think faith, in the end, is like making art: you develop your own personal style that speaks to you, and no one can really tell you how to do that, it evolves with you and changes every time you think you've got a grip on it.

Comment

The old saying (17th century!) is that Paganism is about what you do, not what you believe. It's also about tradition (ignoring, if may for a moment, Neopaganism), so books play a part for me in both aspects: observing common festivals, using original hymns, etc. If I made a mistake, I'm not sure I'd be sensitive enough to know: although I did discover recently that Asklepios wanted his image repainted, so maybe there's hope for me yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Tahemet1491 View Post
                Tbh I feel like the times I've learned the most about my faith were when I let myself really consider the possibility that I had no idea what I was doing, what I believed in, or how the universe really functioned (this is always pretty much the case, but sometimes I get all excited by my theories and forget that).

Contemplating, mucking about in uncertainty and trusting where my thoughts and feelings lead me has often been more influential than either reading books or engaging in a specific practice. Not to downplay the importance of the books, people and practices that have influenced me, of course!

But I think faith, in the end, is like making art: you develop your own personal style that speaks to you, and no one can really tell you how to do that, it evolves with you and changes every time you think you've got a grip on it.
                Oooh, yay you speak my language!! Art language. I've kind of picked up on that kind of vibe about all this- in the end, there is no "right way" to do it.
                I know about that style thing. Every time I think I've decided I find something that fits me better........

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                The old saying (17th century!) is that Paganism is about what you do, not what you believe. It's also about tradition (ignoring, if may for a moment, Neopaganism), so books play a part for me in both aspects: observing common festivals, using original hymns, etc. If I made a mistake, I'm not sure I'd be sensitive enough to know: although I did discover recently that Asklepios wanted his image repainted, so maybe there's hope for me yet!
                Oh, I see. I feel like I go a less traditional route, though honestly I'm just trying my best, and if it's the best I can do, then so be it.

Comment

Still a bit off topic but I think a lot of how we learn about our religion / spirituality also is derived from what it is supposed to do for us.

Not suggesting the OP is doing this only using it for comparison. Figure if your religion is all white light and fluffy noise then sure you can run it as you will for your starting off with the premise it has to answer no in-depth questions or provide in-depth meanings. You can make as many mistakes as you desire and change the outcomes so it makes you feel as good as you want as many times as you want. Yet did it teach you to handle death? Did it teach you how to empathize with a person who is dying and enable you to give them any answer as to what lies beyond the veil of life? Did it give you any sort of belief about an afterlife period?

Right, wrong or indifferent a religion and spirituality allows us many times to face the uncertainty of life. To instill in us a set of values that enable us to face both the joys of life but also the pains and suffering of life. To some extent it also has to be able to explain things when nothing else can or does as to why the unknown is occurring and address the simple fact you can't always witch your way out of things.

Does your practice build it's belief around the notion of a right way to believe and worship the divine or is it built around the notion of a right way to live your life with proper rituals, ceremonies, practices,etc?

Consider I am a shamanic like practitioner with a lot of Hellenic beliefs. So right practice and belief in how to live life is very present yet the shamanic aspect has a lot to do with right beliefs and how I interact with the otherworlds.

Lots of people like the idea of paganism and the no wrong way to do it concept. Yet is that really a truth? There is no wrong way to experience the mystical side of things for that is very individual driven. Yet the religious side of things that is very debatable, especially when it comes to addressing ones life when it is in the crapper and things don't look that grande or promising. Sadly that's when many young pagan's find they never knew their practices and jump from thing to thing in the hopes they will suddenly find another pretty balloon to attach their strings to.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I think it's a really good point from monsno_leedra that first people need to answer the question of what "working for me" even means. Does it mean I'm happier in the short term, or does it mean I'm better in the long term, better able to face the realities of my life? Or does it just mean my spells seem to work? Maybe this discussion could even warrant a new thread... I'd certainly be interested in discussing how people judge the effectiveness of their religions and on what criteria. If anyone else is down to talk about that, let me know and I'll start a new post. Feel free to PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X