Miss USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miss USA

Probably as the only pageant girl on the site, I'd also like to say that Miss Oklahoma won Miss USA . I was rooting for RI but she was given an unanswerable question about political correctness.

Just putting that out there.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: Miss USA

Originally posted by Serria View Post
    Probably as the only pageant girl on the site, I'd also like to say that Miss Oklahoma won Miss USA . I was rooting for RI but she was given an unanswerable question about political correctness.

Just putting that out there.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I know she couldn't answer it but no one could really answer that well. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. On one side, you can be for political correctness and make a ton of people mad, or you could be against it and make a ton of people mad. It's an unfair question.

Comment

What exactly was the question?
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

"Recently, comedian Jerry Seinfeldspoke out against political correctness in our culture. Do you think political correctness is helping or hurting this country? And why?"

20 seconds GO!

Comment

I know she couldn't answer it but no one could really answer that well. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. On one side, you can be for political correctness and make a ton of people mad, or you could be against it and make a ton of people mad. It's an unfair question.
            Except she didn't go pc or un pc. She actually didn't know what the word meant. She went with oh it has the word 'political' in it. Must be about politicians.

and then the 'repeat the question' lemme kill sometime here.

Comment

I get that, but if you've ever spoken on stage, even when you know what is being spoken about, the split second of hesitation because of how un-answerable that question is causes a panic. "Oh my god, I just waster 5 seconds, now I have 15 seconds, but I'm wasting more time! Stop, concentrate, what was the question? That question isn't answerable in 10 seconds!!" Then you just spew out anything. I felt really bad because it made her look like an idiot when she's a very intelligent woman.

Comment

Firstly the whole "Women are just for window dressing" beauty pageants,and lets drop in a question above their ability to answer just to add a comic effect is way last century.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There's nothing different from her not being able to answer it, a normal human being couldn't answer it in 20 seconds. I doubt a professional in the field could sum it all up in 20 seconds, that's just my point.

Comment

Alright, that is an annoying one if you're trying to answer in 20 seconds and aren't expecting it. I don't know if I'd call it unanswerable but it's one where you need to accept that you're about to piss people off and go with it. There just isn't enough time for a detailed answer.

With that said, the answer Medusa gave was still cringe-worthy. It didn't address the topic and was clearly stammering. Pissing someone off would have been better.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I get that, but if you've ever spoken on stage, even when you know what is being spoken about, the split second of hesitation because of how un-answerable that question is causes a panic. "Oh my god, I just waster 5 seconds, now I have 15 seconds, but I'm wasting more time! Stop, concentrate, what was the question? That question isn't answerable in 10 seconds!!" Then you just spew out anything. I felt really bad because it made her look like an idiot when she's a very intelligent woman.
                      I don't want to put you on the defensive here. I realize you have way more experience in this than probably any of us on this panel. I figure if a gal gets to Miss Usa, this isn't her first rodeo. The point of a single question is just ridiculous if you ask me. It's so we pretend it's about something more than beauty, when it's not. If they want it to be really more than beauty then give them the time to answer these questions.

But don't treat the audience as dumb. Oh look, a smart question. So we know you are more than beauty. Which is why I stopped watching these shows.

Comment

At 20 seconds, they aren't testing for knowledge or intellect. They're testing for composure. Whether the people running the pageant know that...

Comment

I know that it seems like if a girl gets to Miss USA that she has to be experienced but that often times isn't the case. In most states, Rhode Island included, any girl can enter for a state pageant and if she wins then she only has one pageant to fall back on. When the girls answer questions at the state level, we are NEVER asked questions like this. It's always about our lives, our education, our platform, and our future goals. It's never anything political or controversial at the state level. You will almost never see a girl competing in Miss California USA or any other big state because they will often have local titles. Meaning girls have to compete at a local pageant before they can enter at the state level. At the same time, girls will win (including someone I follow on Youtube and Instagram) 2-3 or even more different local titles before they win the state title so those girls will be more experienced and that's also why they have such a high success of winning the National title.

The Miss America System requires you to win a local title before competing at States. The same pattern of having to win many local titles before winning the state reins true in that system as well.

Miss Rhode Island very well could have won her state pageant the first try. Her predecessor Olivia Culpo did... And she was Miss Universe (a one in a million shot to be honest).

Our current State Teen did as well. it can and does happen that way.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            At 20 seconds, they aren't testing for knowledge or intellect. They're testing for composure. Whether the people running the pageant know that...
                            The people making those questions want you to fail for ratings. The people who spend time coaching you want you to succeed.
                            The person answering the question should at least know what the word means. And she didn't.

Comment

Really,to answer their questions you might want to be a shut in with nothing better to do than watch the news all day,but if you are young,and also have a life,the word PARTY would mean more to your ears..just saying Kids..
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X