Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We are Borg. Hive mind?

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    You had brought up the idea of the search for sentience, rather than the search for intelligence. As a pet "owner", it is hard to understand how it is that folks are ready to say that animals do not have sentience...
    I have never understood it either...

Here's what I do know about it:

We have several cats. Amongst themselves they form particular "friendships." Itybitykity (our cat names might seem strange, but they are descriptive) is best friends with Fat Ralph. They generally spend nap time curled up together. Understanding each of their unique "personalities" I have a pretty good idea why they are BFFs.

One cat, Badkitty, has picked me for best bud. She sits next to me, pokes me in the face (gently) until I pay attention to her. If I ignore her, she head buttes me. When I acknowledge her presence, she rolls over for a belly rub. When I go to bed she runs in front of me and lays down between wife & I for a belly rub. When she's done, she sleeps just outside the bedroom door waiting for me to get up to go to the B-room (I'm old. I do that several times a night), then repeats the belly rub procedure. I'm pretty sure Badkitty loves me...

However, there have been times where I have spoken about animals using terms like "friendship," "personalities," "love," and have been told that, since I don't know how an animal actually "feels" (assuming they feel at all), I am anthropomorphasising (did I spell that right? ). So there is that attitude.

Then there is an experiment to find out if an animal is "self aware." The way it was done is to put a brightly colored sticker on the animal's head, then, put the animal in front of a mirror. If the animal in some way indicates that it knows the sticker it sees on the head of the animal in the mirror is on it, the scientist says "Oh! That animal can recognize itself in the mirror so it is aware of itself as an independent being, therefore it is self aware..." Not too many critters pass this test...

But I say "There is a major flaw with that experiment! Sight doesn't mean that much to most animals. If they want to find out if my dog can recognize itself, they'll need to do an experiment with smell!"

No need to bother... My dog can recognize it's own smell. Not sure I can recognize my own smell, though, unless it's a fart. If it's mine, it won't smell as bad...

But things have changed, not just amongst animal lovering weirdos like ourselves:

After 2,500 Studies, It's Time to Declare Animal Sentience Proven

And here's this:

It's possible to write the video off as the work of other animal loving weirdos, but I've reviewed some research. The evidence looks good to me, it matches my experience, and so, until given reason to do otherwise, I'll go with it...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: We are Borg. Hive mind?

This was very interesting, the entire idea reminds me of Carl Jung's theory (and Einstein's) on the collective unconscious. Like how two people who have never met on opposite sides of the world can be inspired to write the exact same story. Then of course you have string theory that ties into it how two particles across the universe can be identical without having contact (i may be getting that wrong but anyone who knows physics knows what I mean with that Cern experiment.) Thought Reality.

Comment

Working...
      X