Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should there be spaces for cis vs trans gendered persons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should there be spaces for cis vs trans gendered persons?

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    In which case, do you exclude the transwoman because she is the one that makes the woman uncomfortable, or accept that the woman has emotional needs that that particular group can't meet and suggest she find a different group. The easy answer to that is it depends on the group... if one person makes everyone uncomfortable then it makes sense to ask that one person to leave, but if one person is uncomfortable and everyone else if fine, I think it's hardly fair to ask the transwoman to leave.

I agree that there is a need to make people feel safe in these sorts of groups, and I don't necessarily feel that a transwoman should feel personally offended if someone was made uncomfortable by their exclusion. But I don't think that excluding the transwoman would be the automatic answer. Why does she have to miss out because of one woman's emotional bias if everyone else if fine with her being there (hypothetically, I haven't read the actual article)?

I'm not even sure where it is anymore, or I'd link it...it was a blog post I read somewhere, I think. I read it awhile back, and then just saw something this morning, in how it was worded, that made me think of it. If I remember correctly it was either two or three women that were uncomfortable, one to the point of having a panic attack...and there was more to it than the fact that the trans-woman not being cis, I just don't remember all the details, and I can't find it.

I'm honestly (from having worked in a similar environment) of the opinion that there should be multiple types of groups (obviously, in the real world, when the resources are available); in this specific sort of situation, when it is legitimately a matter of mental health I think there need to be options. When its just *the public*, I have different feelings on the matter.

ETA: I don't know what the answer is here...this is one of those things where I can totally see a variety of viewpoints.
    Last edited by thalassa; 14 Aug 2015, 09:00.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Should there be spaces for cis vs trans gendered persons?

There are soooo many definitions of our gender and or sexuality now. And to be quite honest, I don't really care what's in your pants or missing from your pants. Unless you actually live in a bubble, get along with the rest of the world outside the bubble. No bubble for anyone. Everyone has ruined it for everyone else.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
      X