God of cyberspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: God of cyberspace?

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=1070.msg19555#msg19555 date=1291394308]Hmm...if you want someone known for bringing technology to the masses, Prometheus, perhaps? Yeah, yeah, titan, not god. [/quote]

Titans are gods. They're juut a specific group pf them.

Prometheus is an interesting idea. I might have said Hermes at one point, but...hmm, maybe i'll have to write a bit more about this tomorrow when i'm not getting ready to go back to bed from having a glass of water. There are reasons that I would say yes- let's start with the fact that I see the internet as sort of the ultimate Liminal Space- it's a place, you can go there, you can see it. But you can't really touch it, and in a way, it doesn't really exist- or does it? Hmmm.....

But (I have to give my girlfriend, a devotee of Hermes a lot of credit for pointing this out to me) there's a lot on the net/to the net that isn't so much Hermes.

Tomorrow, more, if I think about it.
    Memories of Pain and Light: http://painandlight.wordpress.com

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Comment

If you are talking about the entirety of cyberspace/electronic communications, then perhaps Zeus/Yahweh/Allah, or some other all-encompassing deity would be in order?

Here we have a seemingly eternal and infinite entity that requires specific rituals and provides benefits, and sometimes punishments, yet is not entirely consistent nor completely understood by any one individual?

Was it not somewhat mythological the struggle between Microsoft and Apple? Or could it provide the substance of myth?

Comment

its kind of a cop-out to use a "god of everything" for a god of internets. zeus appeals, however, because of the lightning association.
        Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Maybe a cop out, or maybe I am over-rating the importance electronics in our lives?

HDTV. A new TV or converter box or you don't get it. (Forced conversion).

Cell phones. Who doesn't have one?

Texting, Voip, smart chips, magnetic strips, Wiki-everything, bar codes and UPCs, Google Earth, Match.com (the work of Loki?), and don't forget government/Military applications!

Once it was claimed that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, and now electronics are more popular than the Beatles!

Perhaps texting should be assigned to Erato, the power grid to Prometheus, and blogs to Narcissus? (I have yet to see a suitable position for Athena).

Comment

Narcissus wasnt a god was he? I thought he was just a cautionary tale. (i get the joke tho)

Athena clearly has dominion over Wikipedia.

EDIT: let's not even DISCUSS which god oversees 4chan.

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=1070.msg24444#msg24444 date=1293143373]
              Narcissus wasnt a god was he? I thought he was just a cautionary tale. (i get the joke tho)

Athena clearly has dominion over Wikipedia.

[/quote]

Nah, Narcissus wasn't a god, but glad you got the joke!

What is 4chan?

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=1070.msg24444#msg24444 date=1293143373]

[/quote]

Eris? Khaos?

Wait, wait....a pantheon! Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh!
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Ia! Ia! 4chan fthagn!

Hehe...

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=1070.msg24453#msg24453 date=1293146399]
                    Ia! Ia! 4chan fthagn!

Hehe...
                    [/quote]

Hehehe....

Yay...I made a geeky funny.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Belial of course.the God of Technology and...he likes James Bond! how cool is that? I think it's Belial because of his knowledge about everything related to technology (astral programming, modern astral weapons, etc.) recently my friend who has a lot of connection with Belial saw him with a Penguin (Yeah, LINUX!).
                      "The life is in breath." -Thoth

Comment

I nominate William of the Gates for godhood ... 8)
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                        X