Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The destruction of history

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Take your pic. I pick ISIL because I like Isis.

Daesh

Because other names I might pick aren't fit for the public boards.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      That's the one I'd use if I could remember the spelling...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        That's the one I'd use if I could remember the spelling...
        My usual problem is that I want to stick an apostrophe in it somewhere.
        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yup,could not remember that one..Myself have other names as well,and like MO,those names would not be for public posting.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            The second part of your statement goes back to the old adage that older is better and of more historical importance. Sorry comparing Stone Mountain and what ISIS is doing is a valid observation of cultural, social and historical influence and attitude towards it. It's the same lack of historical perspective and placing something into its historical period vice evaluating something based upon today's ethics, morality, culture, etc and saying if it is of worth or not..
            Well, when it comes to historical importance, older is "better and more important", if by better and more important, you mean more historically significant, simply because the statistical probability of preservation decreases. This means that the longer time goes by, the less chance there is that it is preserved and the more impact that what is preserved plays in testing historical accounts of that era. Stone Mountain vs the ruins of Palmyra are not the same comparison. Its like saying the bones of this cow are just as important as this T. Rex I just discovered because they are both bones. After-the-fact monuments commemorating the Confederacy are a dime a dozen in the South. You want to save something? Save a battlefield--there's only one of them and something actually happened there other than "hey, cool rock, lets deface it." Something doesn't have historical value just because it exists, anymore than something has artistic value just because it exists. If that were the case, my kids would be millionaires.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Along the idea of the destruction of history, the trouble is, is that history is destroyed every day, and has been being destroyed since the beginning of time. On a physical level, cities have been built upon ruins, graves/temples/town/etc have been bulldozed or flattened to make way for new things, and even natural events have wiped out evidence of people's existences. That is not to mention the written stories, the text books, and the like. History has always been told by the victors, so with every conquered tribe, every defeated city, things have been lost in the retelling, or simply left out to make those who won look better. Even today, text books and news do exactly the same thing. The good stuff is left out to make people seem worse, the bad stuff is left out to make us seem better, losses are all but expunged to keep up the guise of being in power. Both the Korean War and the Vietnam War have been downgraded in history books to be "conflicts", and they are merely footnotes for the surrounding times rather than topics in and of themselves.

Anthropology was my major in college, and as much as I'm a bit appalled at the selling off of artifacts and the like, since the context of the finds have been lost, it's an aspect of society and of the past that we simply have to accept. We save what we can, learn when we're able, and try not to be overwhelmed by the loss of what we didn't see.

Comment

Working...
              X