What is Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Art?

I’ve never completely settled for the concept of art as rarified objects that sit untouchable in a divine space and are worshipped. I like art that does work — all kinds of work, from intellectual work to emotional work to work in society. I think art has a job to do, as opposed to being expensive and passive luxury objects. While I think art can be both an expensive commodity and do work, too often the glamor aspect eclipses the other, more rudimentary work function.

(source)
    What makes something art?

'Cause I went from the link up there to a piece over here, and while I'm not sure I'd call the former art in the vein of Picasso or Rembrant, there is (to me) something to her presentation that makes it art. Whereas with the second link...I'm not sure I would recognize some of those pieces as being art. Looks like something Chickadee made on a paper plate with vanilla pudding tinted with food color when she was 3.
    Last edited by thalassa; 28 Aug 2015, 03:09.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: What is Art?

The only way to answer this question is:

Art is what the person speaking says it is.

But I'd add: Some art is better than other art. Price has nothing to do with the quality of a piece of art, nor does public recognition, but I don't know what does.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      What makes something art?

'Cause I went from the link up there to a piece over here, and while I'm not sure I'd call the former art in the vein of Picasso or Rembrant, there is (to me) something to her presentation that makes it art. Whereas with the second link...I'm not sure I would recognize some of those pieces as being art. Looks like something Chickadee made on a paper plate with vanilla pudding tinted with food color when she was 3.
      I actually believe that anything a person does with the creative side of their mind is 'art'.

I can't say that all art is GOOD art, though. And I can't say that all art deserves to be hung in a gallery, or have lots of money paid for it. That's a whole other debate, though.

Comment

If it's an expression of your soul and others can't understand it? It's probably expensive art.
        If it's an expression of your soul and others can understand it? It's probably done in velvet.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
        X