Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    THEN I read all sorts of BS articles about how our generation doesn't "know the real value of work", which is such a slap in the bloody face.
    I hate those articles so freaking much. It's RAMPANT here in the US, that attitude that anyone under baby-boomer age is just a lazy bum. It really is a slap in the face to those of us struggling so hard and not even getting a chance to work!

Comment

I too am sick and tired of hearing how people just aren't trying hard enough, and that is why they can't find a job. People I love and care about, are living in such poverty and absolutely desperately battle to find work. I'm definitely the kind of person to feel smug, but I wouldn't dare get smug about being in full time employment (with the exception of mentally flipping the bird at those who looked down their noses at me for doing such a 'gutter level' job.. Christoph, you tit, if you ever see this, I guess you've graduated by now. Hope you're enjoying job hunting, you spiteful, hateful, poisoned, bullying little man!). I was LUCKY, nothing more. Right place, right time and able to do a job many other people can't.

I even feel guilty thanking my deities for how lucky I am. I DO, of course, but I feel as though I am implying that they helped me, which raises the question, 'what makes me so special that the gods helped me while others' spells and prayers go unanswered'. My conclusion is that this situation is out of deity's control, in which case, what am I thanking them for?

My mother is also the only person who accepts financial help from me. I guess she figures, she has given me plenty of money over the years! Other people are offended if I offer to buy them stuff, and although I check job sites every other day, in case I find something they miss, I wonder if they find it rude when I message them with links etc.. I just don't know what to do. I hate this.
      Last edited by Jembru; 31 May 2012, 15:57.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by RainbowDemonic View Post
        I hate those articles so freaking much. It's RAMPANT here in the US, that attitude that anyone under baby-boomer age is just a lazy bum. It really is a slap in the face to those of us struggling so hard and not even getting a chance to work!
        For someone who doesn't know the real value of work, I sure seem to do a lot of it. And I'm operating under the full knowledge that I cannot depend on Social Security or pensions to provide me with any kind of retirement whatsoever. That's something Baby Boomers seem to take for granted.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
          That's the part that gets me the most. Ten bucks says it's written by a 40-something or older with major job security while they preach from their ivory tower.

NOTE: BEFORE people try to get defensive about the demographic, check this out: http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/demographics/
          I don't even think unemployment figures tell the whole story either. Like, if you're underemployed or temporarily employed, you don't show up in unemployment statistics...and that sums up a lot of university grads these days!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I don't even think unemployment figures tell the whole story either. Like, if you're underemployed or temporarily employed, you don't show up in unemployment statistics...and that sums up a lot of university grads these days!
            I agree, but sadly that's all the Bureau of Labor Statistics will examine. Folks have argued immensely that they need to refigure it with those factors, but they won't for various reasons.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
              I agree, but sadly that's all the Bureau of Labor Statistics will examine. Folks have argued immensely that they need to refigure it with those factors, but they won't for various reasons.
              It does get really complicated. I think it would be helpful to measure each separately. You could do the traditional overall unemployment, and you could do stats on who is temporarily employed. Underemployment is much harder to measure. What defines "underemployment"? Overall I guess it could be a job for which you are overqualified for, but some people do those job willingly (they studied to finish an MBA and then decided they're happier working as a bike courier maybe). Anyway it's harder to measure, because you can't just look at how many people are employed...you'd have to interview people and learn their qualifications and what they're currently doing.

Another gap in unemployment that needs to get fixed is that it often cuts out the long-term unemployed. So you don't really get a clear picture.

Comment

'Please read the following 6 line paragraph about what to do if you encounter a bear while mountain climbing. Then answer the question that follows...' The question is 'what should you do if you encounter a bear while mountain climbing?'. It gives you enough space to write ONE sentence. Normally I can't praise Japanese for busy people enough, but sometimes there is little logic to their excercises. Most amusingly, this was testing 'tara' (one of the excessive amount of ways one can express 'if' in Japanese). Unless you begin your answer, 'if you encounter a bear...' You can't really practice it either. There are 5 such paragraphs on mountain safety, all with basically the same question. So I just wrote, 'please read the above' in each of the answer spaces. Hehe
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  'Please read the following 6 line paragraph about what to do if you encounter a bear while mountain climbing. Then answer the question that follows...' The question is 'what should you do if you encounter a bear while mountain climbing?'. It gives you enough space to write ONE sentence. Normally I can't praise Japanese for busy people enough, but sometimes there is little logic to their excercises. Most amusingly, this was testing 'tara' (one of the excessive amount of ways one can express 'if' in Japanese). Unless you begin your answer, 'if you encounter a bear...' You can't really practice it either. There are 5 such paragraphs on mountain safety, all with basically the same question. So I just wrote, 'please read the above' in each of the answer spaces. Hehe
                  LMAO - but, just for safety's sake since I have a bear roaming around out back, what should I do if I do encounter a bear?
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Okay, here's my translation:

There are wild bears in Japan. If you encounter a bear while walking in the mountains, while maintaining eye contact with the bear, little by little, step slowly away from it. It is dangerous to turn your back on a bear.

Not the most useful advice, but I didn't know it so who knows, maybe one day it could save my life!

Comment

^^I've tasted bear meat. Not bad, at all.

Rant: took 3 days but the lawn is mowed. Well, almost most of it. Too many errands, today. Pain, on a scale of 1-10, is about 243.

Hot shower; no help. Steamy bath, with Epsom salt (lavender!!!); no help. The usual cocktail of assorted otc painkillers; no help.

Do not move! Do not do a damn thing! Stay in bed, until further notice!

FML

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        ^^I've tasted bear meat. Not bad, at all.

Rant: took 3 days but the lawn is mowed. Well, almost most of it. Too many errands, today. Pain, on a scale of 1-10, is about 243.

Hot shower; no help. Steamy bath, with Epsom salt (lavender!!!); no help. The usual cocktail of assorted otc painkillers; no help.

Do not move! Do not do a damn thing! Stay in bed, until further notice!

FML

feel better soon k? If you would like I will send some healing energy your way, couldn't hurt I guess.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                          feel better soon k? If you would like I will send some healing energy your way, couldn't hurt I guess.
                          Yes, please! And THANK YOU!!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            Okay, here's my translation:

There are wild bears in Japan. If you encounter a bear while walking in the mountains, while maintaining eye contact with the bear, little by little, step slowly away from it. It is dangerous to turn your back on a bear.

Not the most useful advice, but I didn't know it so who knows, maybe one day it could save my life!
                            It will Where I'm from, we have bears. Lot's and lot's of bears. Most Europeans and Brits think that bears will eat you, but most bears aren't interested in eating you...they're not much in the way of hunters...more fishers and scavengers. Do that, and all is well most of the time. Also, don't go near its cub, and don't be tempted to climb a tree if it goes after you (they can climb, or shake you down because they're -that- strong).
                            If you don't want to see a bear while hiking, get a bear bell (large bell you attach to your backpack or jacket), or talk really loudly. They'll know you're coming and most bear attacks in the developed world (where they're not starving and desperate) are caused by the element of surprise. If they can hear you, they know you're there and they'll likely avoid you!

That seems like a really odd exercise for Japan though. More stuff I encounter for the US or Canada.
                            Last edited by DanieMarie; 02 Jun 2012, 01:52.

Comment

Bear meat (I hope Bjorn doesn't see this) is the best ever - bear jerky is just too tasty...

The main problem with bears is that they are - like most wild animals - unpredictable. And with their thee inch claws and physical power, even a little love tap can disembowel a person. That makes them something you really don't want to suddenly be saying "howdy" to...
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Exactly....bear bell!

Comment

Working...
                                X