Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Yeah! It is really hard to correct a German who is convinced the wrong grammar he's been using for years, isn't the right way. You also have to try to explain that the 'correct' way, isn't always the best way when it comes to everyday chatting. The Japanese, maybe because of their vast array of colloquialisms and levels of speech, just seemed to grasp that sometimes we'll use expressions that, yeah, might not be grammatically perfect, but which add a friendly, down-to-earth conversational flavour to what we're saying. Tell that to a German and they'll just assume you're making up excuses!

I noticed in Germany that language schools gave you very little space to be creative. The school in Japan provided course material to cover a quarter of lesson time, but we decided what target dialogue we'd use and designed the other three quarters ourselves. In Germany, not that I got any work through the schools that took me on their books, but I was told to stick exactly to the lesson plan THEY provided. Maybe they're scared we'd use too much 'real' grammar.
    The colloquialism thing can work both ways as well. People DO use them (probably especially here in Berlin), because there are a lot of English speaking people living here, and there are also cinemas that show movies in English, and they pick them up. It can be really hard to explain to them that you can't write like that. I don't know why; written German and spoken German are drastically different, so it shouldn't be a new concept. I also find that they'll do things that -are- correct, but awkward, like using "too" instead of "also" or "as well", and they don't want to let go of that.

It's not just language schools that give you little space to be creative...it's a general problem (yes, I think it's a problem) in German culture. They're not comfortable with things that go "outside of the box", and in the 21st century, things change too much. I think, unless Germans learn to adapt, we might see some cracks start to show over here. It can be really frustrating in an international office. They'll pride themselves on their international team, but they'll make ZERO effort to consider the fact that people from different countries work in different ways. At my last job, the English team often tried to find ways of making boring, repetitive tasks fun. For example, one time, we played a battleship game where every time we got to a certain amount of the boring work we were doing, we got to make a battleship guess. Our German managers HATED this; they just couldn't understand how we couldn't repetitively boring task all day for several days, and why we had to make it "fun". They told us to stop it, and as a result saw our productivity drop, then complained about it. Ugh. Working in marketing jobs can be very frustrating as well, because they have NO IDEA who their target demographic is a lot of the time. They have a lot of trouble understanding that, if their target demographic is 30-something professionals, how those may differ between when they were that age, and how those people can differ between countries. They'll describe this person, and they'll be describing a German 33-year-old ten years ago, not a German 33-year-old now, or especially an American 33-year-old.
    This BAFFLES me in Berlin, because it's a place that has seen drastic change over the past 60 years on a continual basis. I sometimes wonder if they just got stuck? Or that this element of German culture is so strong that it's hard to get rid of?

Comment

Do you think it might be related to the history of germany after the wars Danie? They saw profound poverty maybe that has had a legacy on management styles there. Stability being more a concern then flexibility.

Thinking about it the bureaucratic management style was started by a german in the mid twentieth century... Weber.

My ranty bit would be speculators continually rating ireland poorly when they considered big companies aaa well into thex recession when they were the cause of it. Do a job dangit, stop puttin nh us in the dog house when were the yard stick for recovery

Comment

I didn't even know that was happening JB. It hasn't been covered by the news in England. We're FAR more concerned with Princess Kate's tits! In fact, we're so cross with the French tabloids over this, that we might even have to put down our earl gray and crumpets and get out the armada...

My rant is that my phone ate the reply I wrote to Danie's last message. Not the first time replies have been eaten. I wrote a really nice long reply to the horse thread about different breeds that are popular for different activities and that never posted. Dunno why my phone hates me so much, I really don't...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
          Do you think it might be related to the history of germany after the wars Danie? They saw profound poverty maybe that has had a legacy on management styles there. Stability being more a concern then flexibility.

Thinking about it the bureaucratic management style was started by a german in the mid twentieth century... Weber.
          I hate Weber so much. I mean, I don't hate him as a historical viewpoint, but his style of management is no longer valid in 2012, and hanging onto it is about as useful as hanging onto Taylor. Weber published long before the internet and globalisation, and during his time you could spend time throwing things through departments and getting through ridiculous amounts of red tape. Change also happened a lot slower and competition wasn't as fierce. Now, it's a different story.
          My other issue with ALL early management theory is that back then, the lowest levels of employees were largely less educated than people are now. In Germany, if you're working somewhere, generally you're at least literate and have been through at least secondary school (I know this is also true for many developed countries). When you're in an office with knowledge workers, that bar is raised even higher, and most employees have a degree (as was the case in the job I used as an example). Better educated people need more challenging, less grinding, more interesting work. Yes, I understand that not ALL of your work can be interesting. I like to go by the 20-60-20 principle. 20% of your work will be mind-numbingly boring, 60% will be kind of "meh", and 20% will be interesting and challenging. If you keep that balance, it's motivational for most people.

Comment

I didn't even know that was happening JB. It hasn't been covered by the news in England. We're FAR more concerned with Princess Kate's tits! In fact, we're so cross with the French tabloids over this, that we might even have to put down our earl gray and crumpets and get out the armada...
            Its rarely covered here Jembru! We're just told its too complicated for us to understand and the baddies in germany are responsible for our govts budget cuts.

Rant 2: How is it wasps can find the smallest crack in a window to get in but then cant find their way out a door...

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I hate Weber so much. I mean, I don't hate him as a historical viewpoint, but his style of management is no longer valid in 2012, and hanging onto it is about as useful as hanging onto Taylor.
            I agree Danie we havent escaped classical managerial styles even though society has changed completely. we're hired by taylorism since were all profiled as suitable for the job before we get in the door and once were there we follow processes and work to targets. Really arent the commission only sales jobs now paid on peice work. TQM training is just taylor with a facelift and since herding cats isnt more effective then bureaucracy we end up being spitroasted with ops on one side and upper management on the other... it only suits ego driven power hungry dictators and arms them a new set of buzz words to legitimise their trip.

Comment

Why is my chin breaking out?

That, and this summer has been too damned humid. If I wanted 80% humidity, I'd move to flippin' Florida.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

F'n Spammers!!! Die! In a fire!! With your eyelids stapled to your forehead!!

That is all!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                  F'n Spammers!!! Die! In a fire!! With your eyelids stapled to your forehead!!

That is all!
                  Can I second this rant? These poor fools honestly think we give a flying F about their crappy produce. They really believe their pathetic lives will soon be improved when we flood to their online rip-off bin. We have witches here, can't we curse them? Pleeeeaaaase...
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I keep trying to access my car insurance website. I can ALWAYS access it. Today it says I'm not registered. Yet it took my payments last month and I was able to see it on the website. I'm hoping it's a glitch with the website. Because the LAST thing I need is an issue with my car one more time.

Also apparently the apostrophe key is stuck.

And I made very little money today. We were DEAD. Thankfully I am taking my receipts for my work shirt uniforms in tomorrow to get reimbursed. That's $60. So Im pretending thats my tip.

fing apostrophe
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Tried an organic "health" drink yesterday, it tasted WRONG. Like the Lovecraftian sort of wrong.

I felt like I ingested pure evil, I feel dirty inside. Ugh.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Can I second this rant? These poor fools honestly think we give a flying F about their crappy produce. They really believe their pathetic lives will soon be improved when we flood to their online rip-off bin. We have witches here, can't we curse them? Pleeeeaaaase...
                        Thought about something like this.... couldn't think of an appropriate way to curse spammers in general... Maybe my brain is broken?
                        Also my cat has decided that all of a sudden the litterbox isn't the place she wants to pee... never been a problem before. I clean the litter box out daily, but she decided that my new bath mat was the perfect place to wee, while I was in the shower. This is exactly what I wanted to step in this morning before work and out of my shower! Stupid kitteh! see if I give you any wet food today!
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                          Thought about something like this.... couldn't think of an appropriate way to curse spammers in general... Maybe my brain is broken?
                          Also my cat has decided that all of a sudden the litterbox isn't the place she wants to pee... never been a problem before. I clean the litter box out daily, but she decided that my new bath mat was the perfect place to wee, while I was in the shower. This is exactly what I wanted to step in this morning before work and out of my shower! Stupid kitteh! see if I give you any wet food today!
                          You know, we're having a similar issue with baby Magpie. She is fine at using her tray, we keep it clean and skip out any poops as we find them (I use three layers of folded newspaper under the litter, and if there is any smudging, I remove a layer so the clean litter tips onto a fresh layer of paper below). Still, for some reason, she keeps peeing on our futon. It's a traditional Japanese style with a folding foam base, so wee soaks right through the quilt, mattress, base and then carpet, if we don't notice. I have borrowed an industrial steam cleaner but it's a pain to wait for the futon to dry. So I got a set of waterproof covers for the pillows, quilt and mattress (it's smaller than a standard double bed, so the mattress cover is large enough to cover the base too). This is great, but now there's no absorption so we wake up soaked in sweat. It's such a pain in the ass.
                          Last edited by Jembru; 16 Sep 2012, 14:47.

Comment

I can't believe the kind of trouble that I get into just trying to finish some paper work. I've started at the beginning of this month and I'm still not done. I hate paper work so much.
                            [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                              I can't believe the kind of trouble that I get into just trying to finish some paper work. I've started at the beginning of this month and I'm still not done. I hate paper work so much.
                              I giggled when I read this one, sorry Dumuzi, but I'm at work and when someone goes to do "paperwork" they are taking a nap in the office....
                              /end derail
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                                I giggled when I read this one, sorry Dumuzi, but I'm at work and when someone goes to do "paperwork" they are taking a nap in the office....
                                /end derail
                                Ha, I wish I was taking a nap! A 17 days long (and counting) nap!
                                [4:82]

Comment

Working...
                                X