Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I giggled when I read this one, sorry Dumuzi, but I'm at work and when someone goes to do "paperwork" they are taking a nap in the office....
    /end derail
    I used to do that by accident. I'd sit down to do inventory work on a store computer and I'd have to get up or I'd fall asleep staring at the screen. This is particularly bad since I didn't have an office to work in and was often the only one in the store.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well, it's still better than an excess of "paperwork at the office" that I'm familiar with.

I'll just give you all a hint: Toilet paper.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

All I did was change out the freakin' GPU. Y u no work nao, computer?!
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Less than 10 mins in and I had to switch on the English subtitles. Only 3 months left of 2012. This is not looking good. I surely have some kind of undiagnosed learning difficulty. I've taught languages and I am sure after 12 years of on-off study and 9 months of INTENSIVE study, I should be virtually fluent. Not kidding, I am honestly considering speaking to my doctor about the possibility that I have a genuine problem. A 5 year old kid can learn several languages at once. This is not a difficult skill and it's not a difficult language. If I don't have a cognitive problem, then I suppose I'm just really dumb.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Less than 10 mins in and I had to switch on the English subtitles. Only 3 months left of 2012. This is not looking good. I surely have some kind of undiagnosed learning difficulty. I've taught languages and I am sure after 12 years of on-off study and 9 months of INTENSIVE study, I should be virtually fluent. Not kidding, I am honestly considering speaking to my doctor about the possibility that I have a genuine problem. A 5 year old kid can learn several languages at once. This is not a difficult skill and it's not a difficult language. If I don't have a cognitive problem, then I suppose I'm just really dumb.
            Oh hush. I've been learning French all my life and I'm still not fluent. You need to speak it, live it, breathe it, hear it in songs and stories and out of other's mouths in order to become fully fluent.

Mostly art.

Comment

This cough is being so persistent and it's really pissing me off.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

The reason babies & small children pick up languages so easy is that their brains are actually mapping the synapses at that point. Once you get older, right about puberty in fact, your brain 'solidifies'. As an adult, learning new languages means your brain has a hell of a lot harder time mapping those pathways - it's not mapping new ground, it's remapping existing territory. Which is also why people who suffer TBIs & strokes often have to relearn motor and speech skills.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  The reason babies & small children pick up languages so easy is that their brains are actually mapping the synapses at that point. Once you get older, right about puberty in fact, your brain 'solidifies'. As an adult, learning new languages means your brain has a hell of a lot harder time mapping those pathways - it's not mapping new ground, it's remapping existing territory. Which is also why people who suffer TBIs & strokes often have to relearn motor and speech skills.
                  I genuinely did not know this!! I seem to return to this dispair and rant here every 2-3 months. Last time, I remember coming to the conclusion that I'm not missing a chromosome. Yet here I am, feeling sorry for myself yet again, over an issue I had previously resolved in my head. It's just frustrating. I KNOW I have made progress, I know that I can express myself so much better now. It's just that, despite genuine bilinguals telling me how long it took them, there always seems to be someone, somewhere, boasting that they taught themselves Japanese from manga or anime in a year. Common sense and experience tells me they're probably fabricating the truth a little, but in the back of my mind I have this little voice saying 'HE did it, why can't I?'.

I'm meeting up with one of my Japanese friends next week Thursday. No doubt I'll be over feeling sorry for myself after that: I usually feel better after I've spent an hour or so being understood!

Sorry to be such a serial moaner!
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I genuinely did not know this!! I seem to return to this dispair and rant here every 2-3 months. Last time, I remember coming to the conclusion that I'm not missing a chromosome. Yet here I am, feeling sorry for myself yet again, over an issue I had previously resolved in my head. It's just frustrating. I KNOW I have made progress, I know that I can express myself so much better now. It's just that, despite genuine bilinguals telling me how long it took them, there always seems to be someone, somewhere, boasting that they taught themselves Japanese from manga or anime in a year. Common sense and experience tells me they're probably fabricating the truth a little, but in the back of my mind I have this little voice saying 'HE did it, why can't I?'.

I'm meeting up with one of my Japanese friends next week Thursday. No doubt I'll be over feeling sorry for myself after that: I usually feel better after I've spent an hour or so being understood!

Sorry to be such a serial moaner!
                    It happens to all of us.

When I was 5, I spoke better, and more, Spanish than English. A few years of not being around anyone who spoke it, and I lost it all. Now? Food, Spanglish & insults that I've picked up online. I can order my own dinner in a Mexican restaurant, though.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      It happens to all of us.

When I was 5, I spoke better, and more, Spanish than English. A few years of not being around anyone who spoke it, and I lost it all. Now? Food, Spanglish & insults that I've picked up online. I can order my own dinner in a Mexican restaurant, though.
                      So it's normal then? I lost the ability to use German within months of returning to Japanese. I could still understand it when I read it though (assuming it was words I'd previously known of course). I even found I could work out the gist of what my Belgian friends posted on FB, because of the similarity between Dutch and German. Now, I've noticed I don't understand much of what my German friends write anymore. I had heard this happens with languages and even warned my students against it, but I didn't realise you forget it so completely, when you stop using it.

I guess I also underestimate the affect of the gaps in my study. I just think of the 12 years that have gone by since I picked up that first cassette course. I forget the three years I spent at uni without picking up that book, or the two years I was studying German. Each time I've returned to Japanese, I have the bulk of it to relearn before I can begin to learn new stuff. JP's photographic memory doesn't help. He learns so quickly and genuinly picked up Japanese simply by listening to it.

Maybe I need to up my exposure to the language for these last few months. That might be the missing detail in my study plan. If not, no doubt I'll be back in this thread, crying about it again!

Comment

Today is gonna be a crap day... It's too early for me to want them all to drop dead... But I really wish everyone would piss the hell off.
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yeh with language it really is "use it or lose it" As a young kid I spoke French when my Grandmother was living with us,She would only speak French even though she could speak perfect English. After she died my father wouldn't allow us to speak French anymore. I understand a little if I hear it,but can't speak it any more.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I belong to a lj comm called VaginaPagina. It's informative about everything vagina related. But it's also heavily word nazi. We have specific neutral gender words to use. You cant even same you are a female or male. It's fucking riddiculous. But I keep reading and I rarely post. Like I said I like the info.

Some girl posted she freaked out at yoga class because the instructors were adjusting her pose along with others. And she didn't like being touched. People replied. Giving their advice. I said this:

" I don't like being touched either. I don't even like my mother hugging me. So I told people don't touch me. Solved the problem."

I got accused by some mod of placing responsibility on the person being touched and not on the person who touched her. And that I wasnt offering a 'safe place'

I replied:
                            I'd like to point out that I did not place responsibility on anyone in my one sentence. I stated what my experience was and how "I" handled it. It is the truth. If one's personal truth is not allowed because it does not fit in with the word police, I cannot remedy that. I have become increasingly uncomfortable in the feeling of word nazis. And though I will sorely miss all the knowledge I have learned from such a wonderful site...it is not a fit for a direct woman like me. I will remove myself from the community and hope to find another similar that can accept who I am and how I handle my experiences.

No need for a reply.

Fucking femi nazi bitches and their political pc word police. They also busted certain posters for not posting under a cut because it could cause serious 'triggers'. Look. If you are incapable of using your fucking mouse to scroll past a post, you really shouldn't be on the internet darling. Go back to the fucking kitchen and pretend you can't get knocked up on the first try out.

Sometimes I fucking hate the female sex. Such fucking pussies.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So it's normal then? I lost the ability to use German within months of returning to Japanese. I could still understand it when I read it though (assuming it was words I'd previously known of course). I even found I could work out the gist of what my Belgian friends posted on FB, because of the similarity between Dutch and German. Now, I've noticed I don't understand much of what my German friends write anymore. I had heard this happens with languages and even warned my students against it, but I didn't realise you forget it so completely, when you stop using it.
                              This is actually totally normal. It's possible to be trilingual, but it takes a while to make 2 different language spaces in your brain. Until you learn the third one to a certain degree and use it fairly frequently, it will be in the same realm as your second language, and if you're using that one more, it will be pretty dominant.

I learned French before I ever learned German, and when I take French classes and work on it, I can still get by, but if I leave it for a while and then go to France/Quebec, I spend a good day or two blurting out German by accident.

Comment

After such kindness from PF members in convincing me I am NOT a few sandwiches short, I ruin it all by, despite having a degree in zoology, thinking, 'is that an egg? Nah, she's too young to lay eggs', while cleaning my kitten's litter tray.

Well, you're intentions were genuine, but maybe I'm not quite the full picnic after all! ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X