THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Is it wrong to want people to use some semblance of common sense? I don't expect it anymore, but when I know a person is capable of it and I watch them continuously refuse to do so, It breaks my mind... I know I should give up, but I can't! I want people to learn!
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

What the heck are my neighbours doing??? OMG. STOP IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
        Is it wrong to want people to use some semblance of common sense? I don't expect it anymore, but when I know a person is capable of it and I watch them continuously refuse to do so, It breaks my mind... I know I should give up, but I can't! I want people to learn!
        I seriously want to say, "Yeah, good luck with that!"

Common sense is decidedly uncommon. I know I'm cynical. Society (I won't say "The World") made me so.

Life is but a fleeting glimpse. Be it a Mayfly, Methuselah or Mediterranean giant seagrass, it's finite. Only, people seem to view it as perpetual. Like thinking they've always been here and always will be, as they walk down to the local grocer for more popsicles. There's a very distinct disconnect, there, between reality and the human perspective. It's probably most obvious in the self-aggrandizing "Save The World" idea, like human's are some custodian of the planet(s). As individuals, there are birds that live longer than we do. As a species, we're still young and already too big for our britches. What an ignorant lot. And willfully so.

"If it's not on the end of my nose, I can't see it." Or, better yet, "Out of sight, out of mind."

The slow extinction of common sense is a clear indication of the coming extinction of the higher, primate brain.

/rant & rave

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

The games people play will never stop amazing me. Is there some little island country somewhere where all the decent, honest folks have gone?
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I hate sentence modifying adverbs of certainty. I hate them so much...
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I think ive sprained my wrist. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                I hate sentence modifying adverbs of certainty. I hate them so much...

Uh oh. I'm sorry.

I just have a knack for being incorrectly, or at least indecently, passionate about writing that I definitely annoy at least some people, all the time, with it.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                  Uh oh. I'm sorry.

I just have a knack for being incorrectly, or at least indecently, passionate about writing that I definitely annoy at least some people, all the time, with it.
                  I swear it wasn't you. It's yet another language learning rant... Jap has way too many adverbs. They come in different categories, some are onomatopoeic (way more than English, and we don't use these as adverbs 'the baby is boohoo crying'), some are adjectives conjugated to modify a verb, then there is the nicknamed 'bikkuri' adverbs, a different group again, and then, if I'm not already fed up of having several different ways of saying the exact same thing, there are a ridiculous number of words like our 'perhaps', 'maybe', 'surely' that alter the meaning of the entire clause that follows..

My tummy hurts...
                  Last edited by Jembru; 27 Nov 2012, 16:10.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

So yesterday a man comes into the tool store and begins to talk to me in Spanish. He's Mexican. I'm Mexican-American. I understand 85% Spanish because it was a SECOND language in my home. Being American I was raised in English. I am uncomfortable speaking Spanish though. I will talk simple to a Spanish speaker and they will talk simple to me in their language and we work together and figure things out. I get it if you are here and just don't speak it. It's not my place to give you a lecture on it. I don't care. I'm just gonna be a nice human being and try to help a person out.

So I say right away No Habla Espanol Senor. And he say IN ENGLISH 'Why not?'. So I am stunned. And I just say the honest truth. I'm American.

So then he proceeds to ask me what he wants in English. Just fine.

Fuck you pendejo. Stop being so fucking lazy.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I hate being stupid... I cant bloody remember how many bleeding days are in november!
                      Somebody frickin kick my stinkin head!
                      Maybe that'll jolt it back into place...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

*smacks back of Maria's skull*

30 days hath November...
                        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          *smacks back of Maria's skull*

30 days hath November...
                          thank you...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

I don't wanna do this essay, but it's already late and if I don't hand it in soon I'll fail.

I'm working on it right now anyway and I'll work on it even if it takes all God damned night! x
                            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              So yesterday a man comes into the tool store and begins to talk to me in Spanish. He's Mexican. I'm Mexican-American. I understand 85% Spanish because it was a SECOND language in my home. Being American I was raised in English. I am uncomfortable speaking Spanish though. I will talk simple to a Spanish speaker and they will talk simple to me in their language and we work together and figure things out. I get it if you are here and just don't speak it. It's not my place to give you a lecture on it. I don't care. I'm just gonna be a nice human being and try to help a person out.

So I say right away No Habla Espanol Senor. And he say IN ENGLISH 'Why not?'. So I am stunned. And I just say the honest truth. I'm American.

So then he proceeds to ask me what he wants in English. Just fine.

Fuck you pendejo. Stop being so fucking lazy.
                              Not only does his stupid @$$ assumption make me twitch but, actually, so does the fact that you have to clarify what type of American you are, with saying Mexican-American. It REALLY gives me the willies, in that it reminds me of Japanese-Americans in WWII.

I know it's heritage, it's history, fact and family, and it's a useful tool to have, for example, when companies can't seem to come to grips with Equal Opportunities, etc., etc.. I feel it's too much of a hurdle. As a society, it's what holds us back from coming together as ONE. I'm not picking on you for saying it, Medusa, you know me.

I'm just remembering the differences in definition of racial and nationality. Latino-, Hispanic-, Asian-, African- (ad nauseum) Americans are all Americans, and Americans, first.

Which leads me to the misnomer, that it is, being that both North and South America, as well as Central America, are populated by Americans. There's a major disconnect there, that the U.S. of A has monopolized the classification, America, from every other country on these continents known as America.

Probably went too far into a raving rant, there, but I didn't want to start a whole thread on "The Americas, and their subcategories."

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                                Not only does his stupid @$$ assumption make me twitch but, actually, so does the fact that you have to clarify what type of American you are, with saying Mexican-American. It REALLY gives me the willies, in that it reminds me of Japanese-Americans in WWII.

I know it's heritage, it's history, fact and family, and it's a useful tool to have, for example, when companies can't seem to come to grips with Equal Opportunities, etc., etc.. I feel it's too much of a hurdle. As a society, it's what holds us back from coming together as ONE. I'm not picking on you for saying it, Medusa, you know me.

I'm just remembering the differences in definition of racial and nationality. Latino-, Hispanic-, Asian-, African- (ad nauseum) Americans are all Americans, and Americans, first.

Which leads me to the misnomer, that it is, being that both North and South America, as well as Central America, are populated by Americans. There's a major disconnect there, that the U.S. of A has monopolized the classification, America, from every other country on these continents known as America.

Probably went too far into a raving rant, there, but I didn't want to start a whole thread on "The Americas, and their subcategories."
                                I get it. When I was younger I would get paperwork sent home from school all the time. Like packets of days off and various school info stuff. It would be in Spanish. And my mom would ask me to read it. Because I can read Spanish and then she can tell me what it says because she can speak Spanish. And when I was older (within the last 10 years of taking care of my mother) when she was sick and going in the hospital or ambulance, whatever. They would always ask me 'does she speak English?'

It pissed me off. I have a Spanish last name. Doesn't mean I'm off the damn boat. In fact when I had problems getting my health insurance (because I needed a birth certificate) the lady whispered to me 'Were you born here?'. I was so angry. I'm like do you hear my valley girl accent?
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X