X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=8.msg8158#msg8158 date=1288385426]
    I love that ^.

I saw a sign in a local gas station/convenience store (meant for both tobacco and alcohol): "Do not be offended if asked for your ID. If you even remotely look under the age of 36, you WILL be carded."

I wasn't carded. That's sad.
    [/quote]

I want one of those signs.

We're required to card anyone under a given age (not 18). I reserve the right to challenge anyone I don't think is over 35-40, which has led to carding 40 year olds and 18 year olds I thought were in their 20s. The lady in question claimed to be 26 which would still require carding. She also claimed to have gone to school with me. The catch, she theoretically graduated in 02, I graduated in 04. So she's one several hundred people who went to school with me and one of the ones I spoke with least. I had friends in upper grades but if she were an old friend or classmate then she'd have ID'd me and given her name. Instead she cursed and walked out.

I just really want to know what's hard about carrying a driver's license in public. It annoyed me when I was blocking blank credit cards or the really special people who wrote "Request ID" and didn't carry a license. It still annoys me now. It's really annoying when people start conjuring excuses out of thin air. My apologies to the human species but once I issue an ID challenge, it's near impossible to get out of it. Whining does nothing but use up time and energy. Eh well, human stupidity is still constant.
    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I work at a semi truck dealership in the parts department and I always ID on credit cards and checks and my favorite is "but I don't have a drivers licence"

My response: "Well....ya just drove up here in your rig and your telling me you don't have a licence to drive it"

Usually they end up leaving without their parts LOL

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=8.msg8168#msg8168 date=1288387749]
        I work at a semi truck dealership in the parts department and I always ID on credit cards and checks and my favorite is "but I don't have a drivers licence"

My response: "Well....ya just drove up here in your rig and your telling me you don't have a licence to drive it"

Usually they end up leaving without their parts LOL
        [/quote]

Good heavens, people actually try that line. I have to work for an example of that level of idiocy.

There is a doozy though and I still wish I remembered the # of the store across from me when it happened. Earlier in the year, a lady gave me a card to buy some games. The card was either blank or had a guy's name on the front, either way I asked for ID. She didn't have it. Her friend steps in to save the day with her credit card. The card was signed, it is very difficult to make me challenge for ID on a signed credit card. She should have been fine.

Just one minor flaw, when I flipped the card over there was a photo in addition to the sig. The photo was 10-20 years older and had a different hair color. I love humanity, really I do.... NOT. They should be happy that I didn't remember the number for the store across the way. The store across from me played host to summer cops. Traditionally, the only penalty to failing to prove ownership of a card is that I refuse the card. I was sufficiently pissed off that calling over the cop right across the courtyard would have been so infinitely entertaining that it's not funny. There may not have been any lasting penalty but really knowingly and willfully lying to my face when I've just banned one credit card over ID issues was not a way to make me happy. Ruining some idiot's evening by making them waste several hours dealing with local police would have been entertaining.
        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Try to upgrade your software by yourself, using the "simple, easy to follow directions". Give a guy in India who knows absolutely nothing about computers a job.

"Oh, okay, try pulling on it. Oh, that didn't work? Well try pushing on it then." ARGH. I finally figured it out by myself, and took a lot longer doing it because I had to wait on hold while you looked up a bunch of manuals that were completely irrelevant.

Comment

Tech support as a rule is weird. I've only come across one tech support company that I really like. Normally I solve the issue before they do or I solve the problem because while they are bungling around, they come across something relevant that I can use later to fix the problem. It's not absolute. There's a credit card processing company that's never done me wrong. They nearly did once but I got hold of an experienced tech partway through who fixed things before life got messy.

Comment

I hate it when kids half my age decide it would be GREAT to act like they know everything and talk down to EVERYONE. Little ones, I know you are zealous! I know message boards make you feel important, but you look like ASSHOLES! lol This really goes for every message board I've ever been on. hehehe It just irks me, is all.
              If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
              --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

Comment

Insomnia. I haz it.
                  [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=8.msg8483#msg8483 date=1288512036]
                    Insomnia. I haz it.
                    [/quote]
                    *gives you tea and rubs your belly...

I was the only waitress at work tonight. I am tired. :sleepy: <-----sleepy smiley does not work. It has the word SLEEPY but no smiley and this is what happens when you click it. :sleepy:
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[/quote]

Wow, that sounds like a truly suck-job. I'd either not go to the party or show up really, really drunk.

Comment

My ability to not say anything if I can't say something nice is wearing very thin. I think I may be taking a PF sabbatical soon.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

"The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=8.msg8641#msg8641 date=1288564690]
                            My ability to not say anything if I can't say something nice is wearing very thin. I think I may be taking a PF sabbatical soon.
                            [/quote]

That's my world. On a daily basis. My usual objective is to offend... I've had to tone that down, quite a bit, around PF. Still, the only way to NOT reply is to not read what I just can't help replying to. Catch 22.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I would like to preface this rant by saying that everyone is okay.

You fucking cunt ass whore. How dare you drive like a freaking idiot and come about 12 inches from causing an accident ON PURPOSE that could have injured or killed MY CHILDREN. Seriously. It is a HOLIDAY WEEKEND and AT THE END OF THE MONTH to boot, in a state that JUST RAISED THEIR TICKET PRICES. Yes, I am going to drive the SPEED LIMIT. If you don't like it, you have the right to pass me...NOT PASS ME AN THROW A 2x4 OUT YOUR WINDOW you FUCKING BITCH. #1 You are damn lucky that it only shattered my windshield, and didn't go thru it and hit one of my children. #2 I have your license plate number, and while I might have lost you at the gate, you have been reported to the base police, because you were dumb enough to think I couldn't get onto base. #3 while the state police might not have done anything about it, since there is no proof...and the base police don't have jurisdiction to do anything legally, their watch captain was upset enough that he's finding your chain of command. #4 be very very very happy I don't know who you are.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=8.msg8668#msg8668 date=1288573889]
                                I would like to preface this rant by saying that everyone is okay.

You fucking cunt ass whore. How dare you drive like a freaking idiot and come about 12 inches from causing an accident ON PURPOSE that could have injured or killed MY CHILDREN. Seriously. It is a HOLIDAY WEEKEND and AT THE END OF THE MONTH to boot, in a state that JUST RAISED THEIR TICKET PRICES. Yes, I am going to drive the SPEED LIMIT. If you don't like it, you have the right to pass me...NOT PASS ME AN THROW A 2x4 OUT YOUR WINDOW you FUCKING BITCH. #1 You are damn lucky that it only shattered my windshield, and didn't go thru it and hit one of my children. #2 I have your license plate number, and while I might have lost you at the gate, you have been reported to the base police, because you were dumb enough to think I couldn't get onto base. #3 while the state police might not have done anything about it, since there is no proof...and the base police don't have jurisdiction to do anything legally, their watch captain was upset enough that he's finding your chain of command. #4 be very very very happy I don't know who you are.
                                [/quote]

Oh, my gosh, thalassa! I'm so glad you and your children are okay! That is insane. That person needs to be locked up.

Comment

Working...
                                X