Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

That's all true.

When I first moved out, my dad was saying "about damn time" and my mom was saying "why on earth do you want to move out?" After I got married, and the "adopted" kids started moving out, I didn't want them to. I was scared for them, worried and seriously of the opinion that they could remain living here indefinitely. Not that I felt they couldn't handle it but that *I* couldn't handle them being gone.

That said, I do actually love the bit of a rude demand, asking if they don't have faith in their parenting skills. That's something I would still ask, yet, today.

All I can really say, though, is good for you, Cuckoo. Good luck and be a little wary of having to be *too* dependent on roommates holding up their end of the bargain. it can be a challenge, sometimes. But all in all, it's a learning experience, a joyful act of independence, and a chance to explore a different living situation. One that you'll never forget, even 40 years down the road.

It may sound trite but I am very proud of you. Honest. It's just too bad I don't live closer to you. I'd so love to drop in, at the new place, with a housewarming "care package". (Besides, I have a weakness for chinches and would so enjoy meeting the little munchkin.)

<3

ETA: I forgot about my rant, duh. Exhaustion, overdoing it, rainy weather, all joining forces to require of me, a high dose of hydros. I'm ready to pass out! Now, why isn't it happening?!?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

That said, I do actually love the bit of a rude demand, asking if they don't have faith in their parenting skills. That's something I would still ask, yet, today.

Anyone that says they have faith in their parenting skills is lying or in denial! Parenting is nothing more than the fierce hope that feeding it, loving it, and teaching it some manners will be enough, because there's no shortage of bad advice on that matter and no actual consensus for good advice...

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Anyone that says they have faith in their parenting skills is lying or in denial! Parenting is nothing more than the fierce hope that feeding it, loving it, and teaching it some manners will be enough, because there's no shortage of bad advice on that matter and no actual consensus for good advice...

Oh em gee, that is so true! I wasn't even thinking of that, just admiring what MoonRaven had said. You know, with my being a bit of an antagonist.

Also, I forgot to mention something about a 13" black and white TV, that I used to have. It was a hand-me-down, from my mother, when my dad bought her our first color TV. In the mid 70's.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I'm always tired. And no matter how much I do, it's just not enough. I really need a vacation, but I can't afford it. -.- I can't wait for this phase to end.

Comment

I woke up at 4am for some awful reason and can't get back to sleep. I'm pissed! And my damn cats and dog decided also decided they want to be awake AND ANNOYING. Grrr
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

For the next 4 days I have to wake up at 6am. Probably get home at 8:30pm. Mind you, my current sleep pattern is go to bed at 3am. I have no idea how I'm going to force myself to sleep tonight.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I just want a day off... I need people to stop quitting.... I get it, what goes around comes around... But imma lose my freaking mind... This is too crazy...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I absolutely hate it when people mistake nicety for goodness. No way, folks. Nicety is generally just an excuse for apathy, the facilitator of evil. Goodness has an edge.
                  OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                  The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                  Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

This thug just came looking for my step brother. He rang the door bell and when we said he wasn't here he steps inside a looks around the living room like he's gonna find him hiding somewhere. We insist that he's not here and he leaves. What a creep.
                    Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      This thug just came looking for my step brother. He rang the door bell and when we said he wasn't here he steps inside a looks around the living room like he's gonna find him hiding somewhere. We insist that he's not here and he leaves. What a creep.
                      Yikes. Hope your step-brother is okay.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                        Yikes. Hope your step-brother is okay.
                        The guy has been around before. He probably won't hurt him, not that I care. When my brother got back he didn't seem terribly worried. I think they're friends, probably.
                        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                          The guy has been around before. He probably won't hurt him, not that I care. When my brother got back he didn't seem terribly worried. I think they're friends, probably.
                          Well alrighty then. Glad nobody's trying to hurt him.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                            Well alrighty then. Glad nobody's trying to hurt him.
                            I just can't get over how he walked into our house. I was livid.
                            Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                              ^^^ Just go and do it. Do NOT tell them any minor problems you encounter (and you will encounter some) - just make it work. Transitioning into an adult relationship with one's parents is a minefield. I managed it OK with my father but my mother never stopped her undermining ways. It's not about YOU, it's about THEM.
                              This... except, I am 33 years old, and the eldest child... but I am from an EXTREMELY Fundamentalist Christian home... and I am the only one of my siblings that is unmarried... and unmarried = not an adult (ie not really a person).

At family gatherings/holidays/etc (such as Christmas dinner), I am still (at 33) relegated to the "kids' table"... I am expected to "look up to" my 18 year old cousins that got married right after high school.

"For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh" - Matthew 19:5

But my family reads that as "for [ONLY] this cause shall a man leave father and mother..."

On the other hand... I live my own life, as much as I can.

I am limited by the fact that my parents' business is dependent on me (thus the reason I work construction with a Computer Science degree)
                              And I am limited by the fact that part of my salary is living in my parents' guest house, because they can't afford to pay me what I am worth... and I can't afford to move out on my salary.
                              And the fact that I love my family, even with their wacked out religious beliefs, and their strange idea of personhood... I can't quit my job and doom my parents to failure (my siblings already did... leaving me to quit my high paying job and come work for them, 7 years ago)... The business is struggling, because there isn't much work to be done, and I am IT Manager, OSHA Certified Safety Manager, Bid Estimator, Driller, and general laborer... all for little more than minimum wage + free rent (granted, free rent is HUGE... utilities and internet included!).. but... there is NO WAY that they could replace me, for what they pay me (even if you include the rent/utilities/internet)... it would break them, put them out of business. I can't do that. I feel an obligation to them.

Sorry to turn a response to your rant into another rant of my own... but, then... take me as a warning... break free, do your own thing... define your relationship with your parents as one of adult-to-adult rather than parent-to-child. Learn from my failure. I should have taken this stand at 18-20. I shouldn't be dealing with it at 33. I have noticed my failure to handle this situation correctly, only in the last few years... but the older I get, the harder it gets to talk myself into dealing with it, because the older I get, the more I am inclined to simply tell my family/parents to fuck off, rather than rationally discussing how adults should deal with each other... and I don't REALLY want to tell my family to fuck off.

Learn from my mistake. Be up front. Stand up for yourself. Make the transition to the adult-to-adult relationship while it is still easy... don't do what I did.
                              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

So and old geezer and his lovely wife came in during our parking lot sale. It's like Christmas crammed into 3 days. It's nuts. We have a bin that says $1.00 items. It always has misc nuts and bolts from when customers return stuff or open packages. We just throw it all into a little bin and sell them individually. We do this every.single.day.

Man brings the whole bin up. Wants the whole bin (with like 30 pieces in it) for $1. I explain no, that it's each item. He yells at me. That's not what it says! I say yes, it says that. He says YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!

So I snap. Look. I work here. I know how it works. You are wrong. And I don't got time for you. NEXT!
                                He wants to talk to the manager (who slyly slipped away smiling) and I'm like go to him! And he waits and he waits. Because you know, we have a line to the back of the store and curbing around. No lie. And he's like I WANT TO MAKE A POINT!!

He left. F him. Hope he gets a stroke. For realz.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X