Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
    I suppose an answer of, "They are an American and deserve to live and/or die on their own soil" is far too noble a reason for it to have occurred to the US Gub'mint? I'm completely serious (no snark)...I'd love to think that was the reason, but suspect (as you) otherwise.

*sigh*.

Now I'm bummed.
    The two patients are being transported to Atlanta, Emory Hospital. I live 15 minutes from there. Many of the people in my community either work there or know or live with someone who does.

It is, admittedly, a very scary thing, and I am still not sure how I feel about it. However, I have also lived 15 minutes away from the CDC for over a decade ( Emory and the CDC are practically neighbors ) and the CDC is pretty damn good with their protocols. I suppose if the American Ebola victims had to come anywhere, logically I would rather it be Emory ... even if my illogical reactionary portion of my brain is uneasy as hell.

Comment

I did a quick search on the Fire Challenge thing since I was curious to see how much of a 'trend' it really was or if it was just a couple of isolated incidence. I immediately got articles on no less than 5 kids between 11 and 15 who did exactly this with rubbing alcohol and ended up hospitalized with 2nd degree burns within the last few weeks. I didn't have to do any digging. When I was a kid my mom would say things like "If your friend set themselves on fire would you?" and it was meant to be sarcastic because pft duh who would actually do that. Are kids that freakin retarded now?

Comment

Originally posted by Girlgoyle View Post
        I did a quick search on the Fire Challenge thing since I was curious to see how much of a 'trend' it really was or if it was just a couple of isolated incidence. I immediately got articles on no less than 5 kids between 11 and 15 who did exactly this with rubbing alcohol and ended up hospitalized with 2nd degree burns within the last few weeks. I didn't have to do any digging. When I was a kid my mom would say things like "If your friend set themselves on fire would you?" and it was meant to be sarcastic because pft duh who would actually do that. Are kids that freakin retarded now?
        Oh these kids have always been around. It's just that nowadays, with social media and all, they're just that much more noticeable.
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
          I suppose an answer of, "They are an American and deserve to live and/or die on their own soil" is far too noble a reason for it to have occurred to the US Gub'mint? I'm completely serious (no snark)...I'd love to think that was the reason, but suspect (as you) otherwise.

*sigh*.

Now I'm bummed.
          Every once in a while the government is capable of not being dickish and the CDC is moderately capable at containment so it could easily be, "They're American, we can contain the disease and it doesn't cost us anything vital so why not?" or for mild cynicism, "They're American, we can contain the disease, it won't cost us anything vital and sentencing them to die on foreign soil can be used against us in the press so why not?"
          Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Girlgoyle View Post
            I agree with MoonRaven. These tards aren't new. I went to elementary with a disabled kid that had drank, yes DRANK, something like liquid plumber. He was just a normal kid, though with a decidedly obvious lack of smarts, before the messed up drain cleaner episode. 40 years ago.

Though, since he survived, I suppose it's possible that his offspring are now dowsing themselves with rubbing alcohol and lighting themselves on fire, or eating half cupfuls of cinnamon at a time. Evolution at it's finest. Good thing we have crap like youtube to document the idiocy that kids can get into without adult supervision. AND the stupidity of the adults that don't qualify as supervisors.

I wish we'd have had something akin to it when I was a kid. Not for the "hey, let ME try that" effect but for seeing the results of DECADES of moronic behavior and the plummeting level of intelligence, therein, that qualifies as the cut-off for retardation.

And the subsequent question: how in the hell do such imbeciles ever figure out how to breed??

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              I agree with MoonRaven. These tards aren't new. I went to elementary with a disabled kid that had drank, yes DRANK, something like liquid plumber. He was just a normal kid, though with a decidedly obvious lack of smarts, before the messed up drain cleaner episode. 40 years ago.

Though, since he survived, I suppose it's possible that his offspring are now dowsing themselves with rubbing alcohol and lighting themselves on fire, or eating half cupfuls of cinnamon at a time. Evolution at it's finest. Good thing we have crap like youtube to document the idiocy that kids can get into without adult supervision. AND the stupidity of the adults that don't qualify as supervisors.

I wish we'd have had something akin to it when I was a kid. Not for the "hey, let ME try that" effect but for seeing the results of DECADES of moronic behavior and the plummeting level of intelligence, therein, that qualifies as the cut-off for retardation.

And the subsequent question: how in the hell do such imbeciles ever figure out how to breed??
              I had to look up the cinnamon thing because I'd never heard of it. Related articles featured the "salt and ice challenge" which honestly I find extremely interesting more than anything.
              They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
              Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
              -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

I know that kids have done stupid things since...well, I guess since humans have existed, but I think that kids do more stupid things now than they did before all the various forms of media came out. I believe the stupidity stunts is a way of getting attention and since there are easier ways to get that attention now with there being things like YouTube, kids are acting up more. It's just not as much fun for the kids if there isn't an audience to witness their idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post

Whatever happened to good ole' fashioned teenage fun like tipping over the soft drink machines? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Arella View Post
                    I know that kids have done stupid things since...well, I guess since humans have existed, but I think that kids do more stupid things now than they did before all the various forms of media came out. I believe the stupidity stunts is a way of getting attention and since there are easier ways to get that attention now with there being things like YouTube, kids are acting up more. It's just not as much fun for the kids if there isn't an audience to witness their idiocy.
                    It's like this bizzare synergistic effect....when stupid people have too much direct access to/ influence from other stupid it intensifies exponentially. It's like a stupid black hole that sucks in and destroys any remaining good sense.

Comment

The Ebola thing. I'm ready for the apocolypse.
                      I can't tell you how many books I read this year about viral outbreaks. Only one came out 'ok'. :=I:
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

It is extremely irritating when I've got a flyswatter out waiting to hit a fly that's been buzzing around and the stupid (or I guess I should say ridiculously smart) fly lands ON the flyswatter! I can't kill it that way! (And I bet it knows it, too.)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I've got at least one mosquito in my apartment and she is eating me alive! I'm going to be nothing but a big red bump in under a week.

Comment

Well, the smoke has officially won. I'm getting sick.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Well, the smoke has officially won. I'm getting sick.
                            Welcome, welcome. We can be sick together. On opposite sides of the world.

I have a feeling my flu is gonna stick around a while longer. Four days of ear aches, ear popping, sore throat, headaches and muscle aches and today my nose is starting to block up. Yay.

Comment

These brainiacs closed over two hours ago. Could they please finish so I can head home.
                              Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

8 scotches and a car bomb in under 3 hours..... Not doing this again for a loooong ass time....
                                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X