Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

[quote author=Juniper link=topic=8.msg21550#msg21550 date=1292022538]
    A yes or no question calls for a yes or no answer. In most cases "I don't know" is acceptable, too.

That is all.
    [/quote]

Well, maybe. It really depends on the question and the individual being questioned, as well as the circumstances and details; one of the most common clarifiers being semantics. And then, of course, there's the smart-assed MFKIA bastards that just like to play with unintended ambiguity, in simple yes or no questions. Though, technically, a "yes or no" question only has two options? Once one can introduce a disclaimer, like "I don't really know," The field *could* be wide open for a variety of non- affirmative/negative responses.

Hmmmm....

I better shut up. Yes?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=8.msg21429#msg21429 date=1292003585]
      I try to make a point of voting, at least i can justify complaining when they raise my taxes again, when they increase VAT again, when they reduce budgets to pay for a deficit that was caused by Bankers and people gambling with Other people's money.
      [/quote]

Like i said, i don't vote because there's essentially one party. Its not exactly a vote when you've only got one party to vote for.

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=8.msg21684#msg21684 date=1292083412]
        Like i said, i don't vote because there's essentially one party. Its not exactly a vote when you've only got one party to vote for.
        [/quote]

Aren't there other parties that you can vote for, besides those three?
        Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

[quote author=Shadow Dragon link=topic=8.msg21690#msg21690 date=1292086135]
          Aren't there other parties that you can vote for, besides those three?
          [/quote]
          There's the BNP (neo-nazis) Theres Greenpeace (hippies) theres UKIP (a non-racist BNP) Monster raving looney party (obviously so people dont waste a vote) They're the only ones i know of besides the main 3 parties. I'd rather not vote than vote for any of them. I personally believe that my vote doesnt count anyways. The government are gonna do what the fuck they want to without thinking about/talking to the people its governing so whats the point.

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=8.msg21706#msg21706 date=1292089058]
            There's the BNP (neo-nazis) Theres Greenpeace (hippies) theres UKIP (a non-racist BNP) Monster raving looney party (obviously so people dont waste a vote) They're the only ones i know of besides the main 3 parties. I'd rather not vote than vote for any of them. I personally believe that my vote doesnt count anyways. The government are gonna do what the fuck they want to without thinking about/talking to the people its governing so whats the point.
            [/quote]
            Damn, that's a hell of a choice you all are given.
            Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Why am in in such a bad mood?
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Shadow Dragon link=topic=8.msg21708#msg21708 date=1292091685]
                Damn, that's a hell of a choice you all are given.
                [/quote]

I have seen poll cards with over 20 candidates from different parties, you will get even more in Wales (Plaid Cymru) and Scotland (SNP) just to mention one. However, the more candidates there are, the less votes are needed for one party to win the constituency. i have, in the past, seen areas won by a party with less than 15% of the total cast vote.

Over in the States, you have 2 main parties and the odd independent don't you? are there no other parties? so at least you can get a candidate with a decent majority to win in most cases.

.. Right so as not to derail/ Hijack the thread, i had better have a rant too :P

Why oh why can't i think of any thing to rant about?!

M
                In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

[quote author=Maulus link=topic=8.msg21742#msg21742 date=1292106496]

Over in the States, you have 2 main parties and the odd independent don't you? are there no other parties? so at least you can get a candidate with a decent majority to win in most cases.
                  M[/quote]

There are a handful of small parties here, but it's rare for anyone to get enough funding to win who isn't Democrat or Republican. That's why some of the Tea Party types are really turning heads right now. Usually, if you disagree with both parties, you don't have many options, so my generation doesn't really get out and vote.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

And here in the states it is set up so that only the two major parties CAN win ... Noone else can be elected ... The "electoral college" actually elects the president ... A few times one candidate got the popular vote but the winner got the electoral college vote ... And the electoral only votes for either a Democrat or a Republican so even if an independent or Peace and Freedom or (thank the Lords of Cobal) an American Nazi Party won the popular vote they would lose ... What is really interesting is that originally the president and vice president were elected separately ... So you could have one of each party in office ... Now they run together and are of the same party ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

You talked about yellow banana stickers. I said if I had the paper I'd oblige you. You know, sticker paper. How on earth is that a drug reference!? I don't even know what "banana" would be code for. And, yes, I know it's from Metalocalpyse. Love the show. Love that episode, even.

Seriously, dude. What's up with people in my family thinking everything is a drug reference or sexual content?
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Dude, you're 16 years old. The fact that I don't talk religion with you is not because you're so much smarter than me, its because I don't want to waste my breath.
                        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

[quote author=Caelia link=topic=8.msg21798#msg21798 date=1292126922]
                          You talked about yellow banana stickers. I said if I had the paper I'd oblige you. You know, sticker paper. How on earth is that a drug reference!? I don't even know what "banana" would be code for. And, yes, I know it's from Metalocalpyse. Love the show. Love that episode, even.

Seriously, dude. What's up with people in my family thinking everything is a drug reference or sexual content?
                          [/quote]

Can I has a banana sticker if I admit I watch Metalocalypse? I think Nathan Explosion is one of my spirit guides.

"You will not prevent me from throwing a tantrum!"
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=8.msg21824#msg21824 date=1292134053]
                            Can I has a banana sticker if I admit I watch Metalocalypse? I think Nathan Explosion is one of my spirit guides.

"You will not prevent me from throwing a tantrum!"
                            [/quote]

LOL, ok *hands a banana sticker over*
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

to descend."

Comment

I just got home a bit ago. I put in a french bread pizza in the toaster oven. I waited my allotted 30 damned minutes. I took a look at it. And the pepperoni looked sorta old darkish. And the sausage looked grey. For f's sake. I just wasted my damned dinner! I ate cheeken and an orange instead. But I really wanted french bread pizza! >
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

No, I don't want to go to my brother's graduation. He didn't show up for mine except for the reception, I can't eat anything at the reception, I'm getting one of my headaches that travels down into my jaw (and just learned those are cluster headaches), I think I'm getting sick, and the weather sucks. I could keep going, but I don't really want to. I'll just sum it up with I don't want to go.
                                my etsy store
                                My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                                X