THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Our special roommate Mike is running up our electricity bill. Went to $200 for all 4 of us. It never goes over $100. I don't even run anything except my laptop and the light bulb over head. I run my space heater on low and it shuts off automatically. But this dude, he's like running either his space heater or his ac 24/7. Even now I can hear it going on. And it's a beautiful day. Not hot nor cold. Just perfect.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      Yeah. I think there is evidence that there are more of them, but I'm not sure it's as bad as everyone thinks. A lot of people suffered in silence in the past. I have quite a few friends with things like celiac who were just "sick" as kids. Now they know that they have a immune condition because diagnostics are a lot better. I think way back, a lot of people just died. My boyfriend asked me once why people in developing countries didn't have deadly allergies (this was way back before he'd been with me long enough to know what it's really like to live with someone who has serious allergies). I told him that they probably do and just die from them.
      I think another part of the problem though is introduced environmental stressors from human industry and agriculture over the past century. We've made it worse, not from a genetic POV, but from an environmental one. Allergies and asthma used to make people sickly, and likely to die sooner, not generally kill them outright. This means they often still had kids.......................
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        I think another part of the problem though is introduced environmental stressors from human industry and agriculture over the past century. We've made it worse, not from a genetic POV, but from an environmental one. Allergies and asthma used to make people sickly, and likely to die sooner, not generally kill them outright. This means they often still had kids.......................
        I think you're probably right. But I don't think they didn't exist all together. I'd imagine that if you didn't know what an allergy was, it would just be one of many weird deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          But I don't think they didn't exist all together. I'd imagine that if you didn't know what an allergy was, it would just be one of many weird deaths.
          I don't think they didn't exist either...I think 1) we don't teach the social part of history enough and 2) (possibly as a result of #1) we don't give people enough credit in history. For example, folks knew more than we think about diseases, but often they went by different names...carpal tunnel, for example, was called "knitters wrist" in the 1800's, and "pointer's rot" (an occupational illness during the 1600's) which belongs to the same family of lung diseases as black lung and asbestosis.

Asthma has been around (and been named thus) since Hippocrates (previously it had been described in medical literature in China since 2600 BC and in ancient Babylon since 1700 BC)...the first medical text on asthma (by Mamonides in the 14th century) forbids the consumption of legumes, milk, and nuts (among other things). The first medical description of (seasonal) allergies (coryza, which is the latin-from-bastardized-greek for "runny nose") comes from the 9th century Persian physician Rhazes--he called it "rose fever". But, as a problem of the immune system, these folks probably died of other stuff, like the flu and pneumonia (that the allergies or asthma contributed to). I'd also guess that part of the reason for less food allergies was local food was the only food for all but the very rich for most of history (even so, Hippocrates recognized lactose intolerance, and many physicians through out history have been aware that food influences health (and I'd guess people were about as bad at following doctor recommendations than as they are now)

Of course...the treatments sucked (if they existed at all) and didn't do any good, but the conditions were known. With that being said, another reason why more people seem to have allergies--better clinical diagnosis (and, IMO, more people using webMD that are diagnosing themselves).
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            I don't think they didn't exist either...I think 1) we don't teach the social part of history enough and 2) (possibly as a result of #1) we don't give people enough credit in history. For example, folks knew more than we think about diseases, but often they went by different names...carpal tunnel, for example, was called "knitters wrist" in the 1800's, and "pointer's rot" (an occupational illness during the 1600's) which belongs to the same family of lung diseases as black lung and asbestosis.

Asthma has been around (and been named thus) since Hippocrates (previously it had been described in medical literature in China since 2600 BC and in ancient Babylon since 1700 BC)...the first medical text on asthma (by Mamonides in the 14th century) forbids the consumption of legumes, milk, and nuts (among other things). The first medical description of (seasonal) allergies (coryza, which is the latin-from-bastardized-greek for "runny nose") comes from the 9th century Persian physician Rhazes--he called it "rose fever". But, as a problem of the immune system, these folks probably died of other stuff, like the flu and pneumonia (that the allergies or asthma contributed to). I'd also guess that part of the reason for less food allergies was local food was the only food for all but the very rich for most of history (even so, Hippocrates recognized lactose intolerance, and many physicians through out history have been aware that food influences health (and I'd guess people were about as bad at following doctor recommendations than as they are now)

Of course...the treatments sucked (if they existed at all) and didn't do any good, but the conditions were known. With that being said, another reason why more people seem to have allergies--better clinical diagnosis (and, IMO, more people using webMD that are diagnosing themselves).
            All really good points....thanks for the interesting read!

Somehow, I totally forgot about the local food thing, even though that was a major point that I made in my comments on that facebook thread. Haha.

Comment

Lindsey Stirling made one of those "And I'm a Mormon" ads. I haven't been this pissed off about something in a long time.
              A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
                Lindsey Stirling made one of those "And I'm a Mormon" ads. I haven't been this pissed off about something in a long time.
                Why does that piss you off?

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I will never understand Sweden and it's healthcare. Yeah it is free, but at what cost? State owned hospitals are paid a set sum of money by the state, but privately owned healthcare centers, are not. When it comes to elderly care, elderly people would rather die, then spend the rest of their days in an elderly center. Why? Because the owners only care about saving money. The elderly get treated like shit. They have to shit themselves because the owner does not want to pay for extra diapers for them. One elderly person could not eat solid foods because he had no teeth, but they fed him so anyways, which led him to starve. A nurse felt bad for him and gave him yogurt in which he ate 2 liters of it, he was so hungry. She got fired.

Elderly people have spent their lives going through hardships and work. They want to rest and relax and spend their last days as they will. But now, they would rather die. They get treated like shit because others wish to have more money. And no one does a damn thing.

My mother-in-law's father is in the hospital due to heart problems. He had a pacemaker put in, was sent home and 45 minuets later had another heart attack. The hospital did not want to keep him for observation since they did not want to "waste" their resources. They sent him home again a few days ago, and now he is having horrible pains in his chest that make him scream. So he must go back, but for what? To be sent home again, and to suffer even more?

I understand the need to save money, but come on. It's a piece of fucking paper. Don't people have morals anymore, or did greed get in the way of those too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukali View Post
                    I will never understand Sweden and it's healthcare. Yeah it is free, but at what cost? State owned hospitals are paid a set sum of money by the state, but privately owned healthcare centers, are not. When it comes to elderly care, elderly people would rather die, then spend the rest of their days in an elderly center. Why? Because the owners only care about saving money. The elderly get treated like shit. They have to shit themselves because the owner does not want to pay for extra diapers for them. One elderly person could not eat solid foods because he had no teeth, but they fed him so anyways, which led him to starve. A nurse felt bad for him and gave him yogurt in which he ate 2 liters of it, he was so hungry. She got fired.

Elderly people have spent their lives going through hardships and work. They want to rest and relax and spend their last days as they will. But now, they would rather die. They get treated like shit because others wish to have more money. And no one does a damn thing.

My mother-in-law's father is in the hospital due to heart problems. He had a pacemaker put in, was sent home and 45 minuets later had another heart attack. The hospital did not want to keep him for observation since they did not want to "waste" their resources. They sent him home again a few days ago, and now he is having horrible pains in his chest that make him scream. So he must go back, but for what? To be sent home again, and to suffer even more?

I understand the need to save money, but come on. It's a piece of fucking paper. Don't people have morals anymore, or did greed get in the way of those too?
                    I agree,and it is not at all better here in the U.S. people forget just how much these elders put into the system when they were younger and working. Being younger they did not require a lot of medical help. So,at an advanced age they should be covered 100%,and every effort should be made to see that they are taken care of in the best manner. I also hope people(Younger) might think how their parents at times went without to make sure the "Kids" had the best for them. The old ones are the core of who you younger ones became..You are not completely responsible for your success. without the "help" of your parents,would you really be where you are at now?

Rant done,thank you Dukali for speaking out on this subject.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      I agree,and it is not at all better here in the U.S. people forget just how much these elders put into the system when they were younger and working. Being younger they did not require a lot of medical help. So,at an advanced age they should be covered 100%,and every effort should be made to see that they are taken care of in the best manner. I also hope people(Younger) might think how their parents at times went without to make sure the "Kids" had the best for them. The old ones are the core of who you younger ones became..You are not completely responsible for your success. without the "help" of your parents,would you really be where you are at now?

Rant done,thank you Dukali for speaking out on this subject.
                      Exactly. I lived in the US for 22 years and it was ridiculous when I could not go to the doctors because I had no money, or I could not get treated for my bi-polar because my dad had it and if he and me both went to see someone, then it would be double the cost and my mom was the only one working. And, I think it's even more ridiculous that you cannot get insurance for pre-exsisting conditions ( don't know if it is different now, however). It's like you have cancer and need insurance to help pay for the medical bills, but you cannot get it since you had cancer before you got the insurance. Basically they are saying "Better luck next time".

And the sad thing is, is that the people who work for insurance companies, they had morals once they started working there. They needed a job so they found one there. Then they could see first hand what others had to go through to get insurance, and then they had two choices, keep working there or not. They needed money so over time, they became immune to their feelings and became a robot so to say. And then that turns back around to the subject of greed.

Comment

I think I'd like to punch Michael Moore in his f***ing teeth. I don't think you have a right to call any person who serves in an armed force a coward when you, yourself have never done so. Never been in their shoes, never felt the fear or pain they have felt. And I think hes a damn hypocrite. Snipers are cowards but... "But if you're on the roof of your home defending it from invaders who've come 7K miles, you are not a sniper, u are brave, u are a neighbor." This disgusts me.
                        Last edited by MaskedOne; 20 Jan 2015, 20:31.
                        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                          I think I'd like to punch Michael Moore in his f***ing teeth. I don't think you have a right to call any person who serves in an armed force a coward when you, yourself have never done so. Never been in their shoes, never felt the fear or pain they have felt. And I think hes a damn hypocrite. Snipers are cowards but... "But if you're on the roof of your home defending it from invaders who've come 7K miles, you are not a sniper, u are brave, u are a neighbor." This disgusts me.
                          Removed your formatting so I can see the post. Past that...

Snipers as cowards........

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy who wanders out away from a formation and whose protection basically consists of

"Holy ****, I hope I didn't miss anything when I set up this position because d*** it's lonely and that's a lot of people who might like to kill me..."

Are there positions more likely to get one killed? sure

Has Michael Moore ever picked his butt up and gone out to experience one of them? Not to my knowledge, no.
                          Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            Removed your formatting so I can see the post. Past that...

Snipers as cowards........

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy who wanders out away from a formation and whose protection basically consists of

"Holy ****, I hope I didn't miss anything when I set up this position because d*** it's lonely and that's a lot of people who might like to kill me..."

Are there positions more likely to get one killed? sure

Has Michael Moore ever picked his butt up and gone out to experience one of them? Not to my knowledge, no.
                            Thank you for fixing it!
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

you know those poeple you would dearly love to give a dose of reality? yeeea... those. One of my classmates managed to get an article in the university paper, basically insulting more than half of the class... For being stressed. Her parents pay everything for her (including a year of travelling the world), she seems to think anyone who fnds studying hard are whining, because young people don't struggle with mental illnesses and stress, she knows noone, everyone in her class is just whining (I'm paraphrasing a bit, this took her a full page to say. but she did say it)... I personally crashed with stress well over a year ago, and suffer from anxiety. I know of one who has suffered abuse as a child and struggles with a while array of fun things, one diagnosed with severe depression and mild aspergers, then there's a few who are "just" depressed, one who's trying to juggle being a single mom and working a job on the side... I'm not saying we don't whine a bit once in a while (a lot of danish students DO whine that they can't afford to drink every weekend), I'm just saying that it's incredible how much you can learn about aperson by actually litsening to what they're saying instead of just telling them to stop whining... but no. apparently not. sorry about the rant.
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I'd really like to upgrade my acoustic guitar slightly...partly because the guitar I have right now is super cheap and although it's ok for such a cheap guitar, it loses its tuning really easily and doesn't really keep its tuning when you play up the neck (which is a problem for me because I play a lot with a capo), and also because my acoustic is a pretty large guitar and I'm a small person with really tiny hands (like, child sized hands...adult gloves don't even fit me!) I'd like to get a 3/4 size guitar like a Baby Taylor or a Martin LX1, but the problem is that they are SO EXPENSIVE in Europe. Like, Musician's Friend advertises both models for around 280 Euros (but won't ship to Germany, even though they display the price in Euros!), but everywhere here charges like 500 Euros. I could probably save up and spend 280...I cannot afford 500, ever. Such a bummer. Every other model I like is also crazy expensive here. The only ones that are cheap here really suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X