Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    I only have myself to blame, but just getting ready to go to a funeral and I've discovered I don't have any black tights that either aren't clicked to hell or are footless. I'm wearing court shoes so the footless ones are no good. Bare legs doesn't feel right somehow, especially when it's a funeral attended by my colleagues and superiors.

That said, if the deceased were around, he'd definitely want to see some leg...
    Ach, off to the shop with me I guess.
    Hooray for wardrobe malfunctions. I suppose with professional colleagues around, you couldn't really get away with the "it's in the deceased's honor" argument.

Comment

Today I learned that AT&T will stop at nothing from keeping you baited while trying to cancel service. Here I am, talking to person after person, telling each of them I want to cancel my internet. "Oh, you have the wrong department, let me transfer you." I get put on hold for at least 10 minutes each time, throughout the 20 or so times I was placed on hold. Yes, I went and made breakfast, washed the dishes, gardened, went to the store, came home, put my food in the respected places, and was still trying to cancel service. Finally, this man comes on, and tells me "I have some good news! I'll be the last person you talk to today." And continues to try to sell me on "new and improved" services. Are you freaking kidding? I ended up demanding for someone in charge, complained (went ape sh*t crazy at the dude, literally shouting at the incompetence of his workers, and filed a complaint through him) and was finally transferred over to the correct department. I mean, how disorganized is their company? I feel anyone else would have hung up and tried again later. I filed several complaints online about the predicament. That won't do me any good though.
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have two FB accounts. One is to keep in touch with extended family and friends. The other is solely my "witchy" profile. It's where I can "like" Pagan themed pages and join groups that focus on the craft. I use a made up name, but it's a real name nonetheless. And I use my real birthday. Today I tried to log in to check my group messages and I got a notice saying I needed to upload a color image of a government-issued ID, otherwise my account would be locked out. WTF? I'm not sending FB my driver's license or SS card. No way. Guess I'll have to create another account. Grrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxxie View Post
          I have two FB accounts. One is to keep in touch with extended family and friends. The other is solely my "witchy" profile. It's where I can "like" Pagan themed pages and join groups that focus on the craft. I use a made up name, but it's a real name nonetheless. And I use my real birthday. Today I tried to log in to check my group messages and I got a notice saying I needed to upload a color image of a government-issued ID, otherwise my account would be locked out. WTF? I'm not sending FB my driver's license or SS card. No way. Guess I'll have to create another account. Grrrrrrr.
          Sounds like

News, reviews, and discussion about desktop PCs, laptops, and everything else in the world of computing, including in-depth buying guides and daily videos.

Hit your account.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Today, I wanted to go hangout with my old roommates. About a month ago, I moved out with my girlfriend into our own place a couple towns over. So I give my friend a call from the old house, and ask. He says he'll ask everyone else (all the people I lived with) and all of them said no. Not only is this heart breaking, seeing as when I moved out, I made each person something to remember me by, of how nice and caring I've been for all of them, and how good friends we all once were.. But I cannot believe that because I leave, they no longer want anything to do with me. Very upset
            "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
            And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
            They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
            The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
            - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

We were at the store, and it was pretty much deserted, but with an older mom and her 13-14 year old son in there too. This mom was so incredibly hateful to her son that she made Chickadee cry--I'm talking crazy hateful. "you are so stupid", "I hate you", "you are the most horrible child in the world", "you are going to make me kill myself", "you are so ungrateful I should never have had you", and then (in the parking lot, as we were walking to the car) "I'm going to make you take a cab", "your sister never acted like such a dummy", "You should walk home, with any luck you won't make it", and then (when we got in the car) "look at what you did, you made a scene, that woman (meaning me) was looking at me like I was crazy". And that wasn't even half of it...plus there were a number of curse words.

Now, teenagers can be obnoxious (I know this because my brothers are 15 and 16...plus I was once a teen)...but there is never any excuse for anyone to talk to someone else like that, period. Much less an adult to a child and especially a parent to a child. I don't care if your child is the brattiest excuse for a human being that ever existed (and if he is, and you were anything even close to this when he was small, its no effing wonder he's an obnoxious little git)--though this kid was doing absolutely nothing in the 20 minutes in the store that any other 13-14 year old boy wouldn't do or say (at first it was just silly/dumb stuff, like "hey mom, we should get some silly string and have a family silly string fight" and, "lets get a whole bunch of popsicle sticks and build a *whatever it was*", and then it was a bit more like "mom, you are so mean" and at one point, I heard a "gee mom, you should go back on your crazy pills"*.

Seriously, Chickadee was crying--like hair covering her face, trying to wipe them away before anyone noticed because she was embarrassed by it, crying. The clerk came up to see if she was okay, and she was so upset she did that hiccup talk thing and was like "how can a mom be so mean to her kid?" (but it took about 30 seconds of stuttering to get it out). The lady was so upset (that Chickadee was upset), she told them that they needed to pay for their stuff or leave.

*Normally, I probably would have considered calling the police (there's an auxiliary police station (er...really a "community service officer" station) in this particular shopping center because its on the edge of a sketch neighborhood) or asking the kid if he was okay, but this statement (along with how the kid reacted overall to this--mostly resigned and almost humored, rather than angry or defiant) and she wasn't at all violent...she honestly sounded insane...mostly because she said all this like you'd order a meal from a waitress. I mean, I don't know in what realm of sanity to talk to anyone like that at a store, in front of an audience, unless it was some bizarre humor ritual of theirs, which takes its own bit of insanity participate in as an adult (two teens, I can picture doing something like this...and then filming it and putting it on youtube or something...tbh, my friends and I did something stupid like that 17 some years ago--we would cause a scene at the mall and record it and watch it later in someone's basement).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                Hooray for wardrobe malfunctions. I suppose with professional colleagues around, you couldn't really get away with the "it's in the deceased's honor" argument.
                I managed to get some tights in the end.. then when I got there, one of the higher-ups was there with bare legs and I felt a bit silly about making such a fuss that morning!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                We were at the store, and it was pretty much deserted, but with an older mom and her 13-14 year old son in there too. This mom was so incredibly hateful to her son that she made Chickadee cry--I'm talking crazy hateful..
                What you've described is a lot like how JP's mum spoke to him all through his childhood. He was an only child and his dad was absent for most of his childhood. She'll never apologise or accept that her treatment of him was wrong, but she has done a lot of damage. I find it hard to like the woman as a result. We joke that he was raised by their dog, Benji, but the horrible truth behind the joke is that this dog cared more about young JP than his mum did. People like that don't deserve to have children. Absolutely sickening.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

People like that don't deserve to have children. Absolutely sickening.
                  Seconded.

Originally posted by Jembru
                  I managed to get some tights in the end.. then when I got there, one of the higher-ups was there with bare legs and I felt a bit silly about making such a fuss that morning!
                  It's funny how the things we fuss about tend to be so insignificant in the long run. I know I do it a LOT.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    We were at the store, and it was pretty much deserted, but with an older mom and her 13-14 year old son in there too. This mom was so incredibly hateful to her son that she made Chickadee cry--I'm talking crazy hateful. "you are so stupid", "I hate you", "you are the most horrible child in the world", "you are going to make me kill myself", "you are so ungrateful I should never have had you", and then (in the parking lot, as we were walking to the car) "I'm going to make you take a cab", "your sister never acted like such a dummy", "You should walk home, with any luck you won't make it", and then (when we got in the car) "look at what you did, you made a scene, that woman (meaning me) was looking at me like I was crazy". And that wasn't even half of it...plus there were a number of curse words.

Now, teenagers can be obnoxious (I know this because my brothers are 15 and 16...plus I was once a teen)...but there is never any excuse for anyone to talk to someone else like that, period. Much less an adult to a child and especially a parent to a child. I don't care if your child is the brattiest excuse for a human being that ever existed (and if he is, and you were anything even close to this when he was small, its no effing wonder he's an obnoxious little git)--though this kid was doing absolutely nothing in the 20 minutes in the store that any other 13-14 year old boy wouldn't do or say (at first it was just silly/dumb stuff, like "hey mom, we should get some silly string and have a family silly string fight" and, "lets get a whole bunch of popsicle sticks and build a *whatever it was*", and then it was a bit more like "mom, you are so mean" and at one point, I heard a "gee mom, you should go back on your crazy pills"*.

Seriously, Chickadee was crying--like hair covering her face, trying to wipe them away before anyone noticed because she was embarrassed by it, crying. The clerk came up to see if she was okay, and she was so upset she did that hiccup talk thing and was like "how can a mom be so mean to her kid?" (but it took about 30 seconds of stuttering to get it out). The lady was so upset (that Chickadee was upset), she told them that they needed to pay for their stuff or leave.

*Normally, I probably would have considered calling the police (there's an auxiliary police station (er...really a "community service officer" station) in this particular shopping center because its on the edge of a sketch neighborhood) or asking the kid if he was okay, but this statement (along with how the kid reacted overall to this--mostly resigned and almost humored, rather than angry or defiant) and she wasn't at all violent...she honestly sounded insane...mostly because she said all this like you'd order a meal from a waitress. I mean, I don't know in what realm of sanity to talk to anyone like that at a store, in front of an audience, unless it was some bizarre humor ritual of theirs, which takes its own bit of insanity participate in as an adult (two teens, I can picture doing something like this...and then filming it and putting it on youtube or something...tbh, my friends and I did something stupid like that 17 some years ago--we would cause a scene at the mall and record it and watch it later in someone's basement).
                    Poor kid. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

That being said, I'm super touched by Chickadee's compassion. People like that woman make the world a worse place, but people like that kiddo make it a better place.

Comment

We are below goal and it looks like we've been hit by a train. I don't know where this breed of customer came from but I want it gone.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I need a new mobile!

So my tablet broke. It's pretty old now and I was only using it for the flash card app 'anki', but when I say only using it for, anki is a pretty majour part of my daily study routine. I like, never miss a session because I need plenty of reinforcement to learn anything. You can study from anki directly from the web, but it's not so easy to edit cards, move them around to different decks and so on. It also requires me to scroll down to the buttons everytime I check an answer. An average daily review count is around 150-200 cards, so doing this 200 times can get old fast.

So I decided to install anki droid on my mobile. I thought that would be easier. What I had forgotten is that this useless bleeding android phone tells you it has no memery even when there's loads, only lets you move certain apps to a memory card and refuses to let you delete apps it came with, even if you'll never actually use them (I don't use facebook chat on facebook itself.. I have it switched off, so why do I need a facebook chat app on my freaking phone??)

So yeah, I had to switch on all these stupid automatic updates that eat my memory in order to even access the app store, and naturally, my phone is struggling to cope again.

I'm planning to go to Newcastle on Monday anyway, so I think I'll be coming home with a new phone and a new tablet..
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

What android are you using?

Regardless, you may be able to disable a lot of pre-installed crap so that at least the system isn't running anything attached to them in the background. I've done that with a lot of things on my Galaxy.

Comment

I need a new mobile!

So my tablet broke. It's pretty old now and I was only using it for the flash card app 'anki', but when I say only using it for, anki is a pretty majour part of my daily study routine. I like, never miss a session because I need plenty of reinforcement to learn anything. You can study from anki directly from the web, but it's not so easy to edit cards, move them around to different decks and so on. It also requires me to scroll down to the buttons everytime I check an answer. An average daily review count is around 150-200 cards, so doing this 200 times can get old fast.
                            I've never heard of Anki... I wonder if I can put it on my kindle.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              What android are you using?

Regardless, you may be able to disable a lot of pre-installed crap so that at least the system isn't running anything attached to them in the background. I've done that with a lot of things on my Galaxy.
                              I had done that but then it made me switch everything back on to open the app store and just started updating loads of things one after another. I can't remember how I'd done it last time, so I'll have to check out the web again. It's an HTC ChaCha. I got it because I wanted one with keys, but I type with the touch-screen half the time anyway, so next time I'll just go for something with a nice big screen. Maybe one with a camera that isn't completely useless would be nice too.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                              I've never heard of Anki... I wonder if I can put it on my kindle.
                              I've talked about it once before on here...

What do you guys think: busuu, Duolingo, or Rosetta Stone? I found busuu to be tedious and slow. I like Duolingo because I learn multiple languages and I like the pacing, organization, and simplicity. Rosetta Stone is okay but it costs money, and sometimes I have no idea what is going on in the pictures. But if you all have

You can download pre-made decks to save time, but I like adding cards myself as I come across words. Then I have some kind of context in mind when I'm reviewing them. I recently worked out how to add images, so I'm taking screen shots from videos I was watching when the word came up and so on too. It's a great little app.

Comment

Jembru, I was given an Iphone 4 not too long ago. It's very nice. All the apps, the camera. But there are 3 things I hate in it.
                                1. It's slow;
                                2. I hate the sensory screen;
                                3. The battery is consumed too quickly, sometimes for nothing, just for being active.

So I still kinda prefer my old phone with keys. But it's my personal opinion. Just my two cents.
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X