Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    I've talked about it once before on here...

What do you guys think: busuu, Duolingo, or Rosetta Stone? I found busuu to be tedious and slow. I like Duolingo because I learn multiple languages and I like the pacing, organization, and simplicity. Rosetta Stone is okay but it costs money, and sometimes I have no idea what is going on in the pictures. But if you all have

You can download pre-made decks to save time, but I like adding cards myself as I come across words. Then I have some kind of context in mind when I'm reviewing them. I recently worked out how to add images, so I'm taking screen shots from videos I was watching when the word came up and so on too. It's a great little app.
    I'm going to have to look more into this... ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      Jembru, I was given an Iphone 4 not too long ago. It's very nice. All the apps, the camera. But there are 3 things I hate in it.
      1. It's slow;
      2. I hate the sensory screen;
      3. The battery is consumed too quickly, sometimes for nothing, just for being active.

So I still kinda prefer my old phone with keys. But it's my personal opinion. Just my two cents.
      Hmm.. I'm not a big fan of apple to be honest, and I don't like that you have to pay for most apps when exactly the same thing on android is free. Still, if one was given to me like yours I'd probably give it a try. I wouldn't be going out and buying one though.

Which brings me to my next rant.. So, I said I was going out to buy these on Monday. I mentioned this to JP in case he wanted to come to meet me after work and he points it it's a bleeding bank holiday. Due to the funeral last week and a boss who just generally can't write a decent rota to save his life, I haven't had a full day off where I'm free during the day for 9 days. Currently working 4 nights in a row and then off over the weekend. The thing is, I don't like crowds (don't like the general public at all in fact), so I was going to wait until Monday when students are in classes/exams, kids are locked away in schools and at least some people are at work. But nooooo apparently the schools and colleges are closed, along with many offices (including JP's.. which is good thing I guess). So.. no phone for Jemma this week either.

On the brightside, ankidroid is working just fine on my phone so far and doesn't seem to be taking up nearly as much space as I had expected it would!

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      I'm going to have to look more into this... ^^
      Ooh, lemme know what you think. It takes a little getting used to, but once your decks are up and running it is so cool. You can use it to memorise all kinds of things, people's birthdays, the atomic weight of elements, important dates in history.. pretty much anything that can be answered in a word or two.

Ankidroid is compatible with most devices, although you need to install the main program (the 'desktop client' as anki calls it) to your PC to access all features and regularly sync up to ankiweb to keep your decks safe from technical faults. The first day I used it, I wiped over 30 cards I'd sat for almost an hour making, and I didn't know about ankiweb at that point. I won't lie, tears were shed and wails of anguish cried that night.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Warning : talk about rape.

So I read the news... three boys aged 16, 17 and 18 raped a drunk sleeping girl (16 years old) at a party. Their sentence? 6 months jail. But only if they commit crimes again... so they're basically free. They've been declared guilty of taking afvantage of a girl who was unable to agree. How does that not get a much bigger sentence?

But it gets worse. I went on Facebook. Bad move. My fiances step brother is an idiot of epic dimentions... he's part of what's wrong with the world. He decided to comment on the story. And I want to hit him. Hard. He's sorry for the boys because some drunk slut didn't say no and then called it rape. He actually thinks it's her fault, it's not really rape because she didn't say no - never mind that she was out cold. Stupid slut she was, going to sleep in another room so they could sneak in, huh?... so it's nice to know that if I'm not awake, anyone can do as they please to me because I should just have been awake to say no... I can't describe how mad this makes me!
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I would be very careful about passing out in a place where your fiance's step brother happens to be staying...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            I would be very careful about passing out in a place where your fiance's step brother happens to be staying...
            My thoughts exactly
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Someone should rape your fiance's step brother. Word.

In other news, they paved our street. Which means when I order pizza, I have to walk to the corner to meet the pizza man and walk on the grass lawn of my neighbor. I am literally playing 'the floor is lava' game! Thank gawd for all those years of practice in the living room!
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If I see one more person write "threw" when they mean "through", I'm gonna throe the book at them in throws of anger.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  If I see one more person write "threw" when they mean "through", I'm gonna throe the book at them in throws of anger.
                  Good thing yer not an English teacher. You'd torch the school the first time some kid writes "2" for "to."

I kid you not...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Good thing yer not an English teacher. You'd torch the school the first time some kid writes "2" for "to."

I kid you not...
                    I don't have the patience for that! I don't mean when texting, or even abbreviating intentionally, I mean people who really don't know the difference, especially when they're trying to sound important.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I just spent an hour fretting and worrying about something that was based on the wrong information; and had I known the right information from the beginning it wouldn't have been any kind of thing to worry about. -.-

Comment

I'm experiencing my first legit flu in close to a decade. -.- And the hubby picked it up too at the same time. We're quarantined inside our home until future notice.

Comment

Avast Mobile is pretty cool in most regards so far but as an app locker, it leaves much to be desired.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Had a good day at work, get home and my dog has had an accident in the create. Clean it up walk them, sit on the couch he proceeds to throw up all over me, and then goes and throws up all over my clean clothes. I think I'm done for the night.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

So today I had to take our trash out to the trash receptacle out back. It's like a metal box with a metal gate you open up. And inside are 2 industrial trash bins. So I'm going and I swing the door partially open. There is a man in there talking on his cell phone, with his bike parked in there. So I made Alex go take out the trash. The dude leaves. I go like 10 minutes later. There's another dude IN the trash can. So I told Alex 'never again'. Nope. So done.
                              A woman's worst nightmare.
                              no thank you satan.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I kid you not...
                                I would.... I could not teach for that very reason, that even makes me crazy while texting.
                                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X