Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Good thing yer not an English teacher. You'd torch the school the first time some kid writes "2" for "to."

I kid you not...
    As part of my application for the college writing center I needed to read an essay on dialects written entirely in AAE. I'm being told this is an acceptable form of writing when my job would be to assist in writing academic papers and most professors only accept writing in SAE. I'm not really sure how this works.
    They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
      As part of my application for the college writing center I needed to read an essay on dialects written entirely in AAE. I'm being told this is an acceptable form of writing when my job would be to assist in writing academic papers and most professors only accept writing in SAE. I'm not really sure how this works.
      I think the idea is to make your brain explode....
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        Political correctness at it's finest.

When does someone tell them they won't be able to get a job?

(But the college will still get their money...)
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm picturing the results if I turned in a paper to any professor in AAE. It isn't a pretty picture. It gets less pretty if I turn one into an actual English teacher but it's always ugly.
          Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have a feeling my Jurassicness is gonna show here, but what is AAE?
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

AAE = African American English or "Ebonics."

SAE = Standard American English or "how people with good jobs write."
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ahhhh,you live and learn...thanks for taking the hit Hawk,I was also wondering...

Also shakes fist at you Young wippersnappers...OFF my lawn while you are at it....
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oh, OK. Ah knows whut Ebonics be.
                  sigpic

Comment

I had to google it. Came across a powerpoint arguing that it was a dialect with its own rules instead of bad English. I still hold to the position that, if I turned in an AAE paper, I would not like the results.
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      I had to google it. Came across a powerpoint arguing that it was a dialect with its own rules instead of bad English. I still hold to the position that, if I turned in an AAE paper, I would not like the results.

It is a language, with rules - but it is not generally accepted in formal writing... unless, maybe, in a "studies" class.

The academic Henry Louis Gates, Jr. doesn't write in it, but a writer of literature, like Zora Neal Hurston, can make it beautiful.

Comment

My phonetics professor would probably argue that it's a dialect of it's own. My grammar teacher migt say sociolect. Just last thursday we had a lecture on the difference between 'correct english' and 'standard english'. Aae is not incorrect, but neither is it standard - and standard is what works best in professional situations.
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I remember the first time I read "Gone With The Wind". There are several pages of Mammy talking, and it's written in her pronounciation. I am a nautural speed reader, but that really slowed me down as I had to really stop & figure it out! LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

It is a dialect in it's own right. The article argued that for personal essays, informal writing, and conversation it is appropriate. It brought in race and class connections between AAE and SAE. It made a lot of good points but I can't honestly say that I don't think everyone should learn SAE. The idea being that in schools now we punish people for not knowing SAE, despite it being possible they've never been taught it- and so we should teach this "more accepted" dialect, rather than just punishing them.

Of course this really puts the blame on whoever dropped the ball in teaching this kid English and I don't feel it's a college's responsibility to teach 18+ year olds how to speak. On the other hand I know plenty of highschool (and college for that matter) graduates who are just plain illiterate and I have no idea how they function. The article also had some weird statistics that were something like 30% of bluechip company employees write poorly when compared to the functional rules of SAE- this was meant to prove that dialect differences are not an intelligence/class value but are still viewed as being such.
                            They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                            Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
                            -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

I'm going to say this about speaking proper English and then I'll try to stay out of it: My maternal grandparents came to the USA from Italy as newlyweds in their early 20's, in the 1920's. They came through Ellis Island and settled in NYC. They saw signs in all the store windows that said "SALE", which, in Italian means "salt", so they thought it was a very salty country at first! My grandmother worked in a sewing factory and my grandfather did painting and handyman work. They lived in a small ap't. in a building like where Ralph & Alice lived on "The Honeymooners" - nothing fancy, and had neighbors from all over the world - Poles, Russians, Irish, Germans, etc. Everybody took citizenship classes, and everybody learned English. They didn't understand each other's languages, so they spoke English in the building. Whenever anyone got their citizenship, all the tenants got together with coffee & cake and celebrated. I have my grandparent's textbook "Practical English", published in 1923.

My Italian grandfather died before my parents met, but my grandmother lived with us, and lived to be 94. She always spoke with an accent, but she spoke English. And was damn proud. If I had told her that I was supposed to writre a paper for school in an Italian dialect, she would have been furious. We all have our personal dialects, idioms, and expressions, but when I need to be professional I can be. It would not have been allowed to be any other way. And we should not make concessions now for anything less. To do so destroys the very American dream my grandparents and their neighbors believed in with all their hearts. Be the melting pot, be the nation with freedom of religion, be what you were meant to be, America!
                              sigpic

Comment

False labor is an asshole....

That is all.
                                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X