THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Jesus, Fatboy and Little Man! Stupid politics at work! I have a co-worker that is a bully and we don't get along. Fine, it happens . You can't like everyone you work with. I don't put a flag up and she bites my head off, saying that I am slowly clinic rotation. She calls her boyfriend 6 times in a day and I get to not to worry about it from the clinic manager. It is "important personal issues" I know she is pregnant but that doesn't mean you can't do your job! I am not going to be nice and talk to her first. I am documenting everything and over the clinic manager to the dept supervisor.

Comment

It's taking too long. So long that it's beginning to put our long-term plans into jeopardy in a bad way. What should have been a 3-6 month process is now an 8 month process and counting. At month 10, we're in a very bad place if this isn't taken care of. If I don't have a hard end-date within the next week or so, we're going to have some problems. Not little problems either.

Grumble grumble. I'm going to make a phone call tomorrow in the hopes that someone can give me a little heads up about what's going on and when I can expect this to happen. I'm not sure it'll help, but it can't make things worse.

Comment

I got my first super angry "Men's Rights" comment on my blog. I'm wondering if I should approve it and engage with it, or just ignore it...

Comment

Is this like a guy complaining that he is being mistreated because he is a guy? As a guy,I think there is a name for a guy like this,but I am not allowed to type it in a PC thread....
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Apple was removing historical Civil War battle games from the appstore if they had the Confederate Battle Flag (what everyone calls "the" "Confederate Flag"), such as Ultimate General: Gettysburg which I own. It makes zero sense. The reason companies would have Confederate forces in BATTLE using the BATTLE Flag is because...well it's in the name. And it's how it was. In fact historically after awhile Confederate forces would have been much less inclined to use the official flag of the Confederacy, precisely because it looked too similar to the Union's flag on the field of battle--the Battle Flag helped Confederate commanders to identify friendly formations, especially if the flags were limp at the pole. So replacing the Battle Flag in games with the official flag is revisionist and defies both history and logic.

But I have heard that Apple is starting to readmit games with the Battle Flag because of backlash--good.

If anything I should think that the official flag of the Confederacy would be the real culprit, not the Battle Flag. The Battle Flag had utilitarian purposes for the battlefield and the Army. The official flag of the Confederacy on the other hand seems like it'd be more closely related to politics and policies of the Confederacy. Like slavery.

And hey, I'm not even really emotionally attached to the Confederacy, it just doesn't make sense to me to remove it from where it ought to be residing, in games or movies or whatnot which are about the Civil War.
            Last edited by Seax_Blade; 29 Jun 2015, 10:27.

Comment

The flag is really not the issue at all,it is what it represents BUT making it go away completely is like banning "Huck Finn" because it contains a word common in the period. To ban this book is to attempt to say,these bad things never existed. I think with the flag,it is almost the same...making the flag go away will not make racism go away,more it will go deeper underground..
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Is this like a guy complaining that he is being mistreated because he is a guy? As a guy,I think there is a name for a guy like this,but I am not allowed to type it in a PC thread....
                Yeah, more or less. I posted about a bizarre campaign called "Don't Manscriminate", which went viral over the weekend. I'm not positive whether or not the campaign is satirical, but I wanted to address the sentiments it expressed, as lots of real people say stuff like that. This guy made comments like "women have more rights than men in modern society" and whined a lot about child custody, divorce proceedings, and violence against men (which I have addressed several times in my blog, but MRAs don't seem to want to accept that feminists support equal rights to custody and alimony and child support based on the incomes of both partners, or do not condone violence against men). There was also a rant about "manspreading", which just baffles me because this isn't even a thing outside of the Anglo world. I even mentioned it on facebook, and some (male) German friends were like "yeah, that seems like a stupid thing to care about and large balls are not a real problem when sitting down on the subway."

I'm sure there's more. His comment was longer than my original post, so I actually haven't read all of it yet.

Comment

I'm considdering taking my drivers license... right now I'm looking at what it would cost us to get a car. In Denmark we have crazy taxes on them... just buying a car here is insane. Take the original prize, add 200% in taxes and welcome to Denmark! And then there's insurance, gas and of course owners fees, so yea... more taxes... lots of taxes. And the more gas it uses, the higher the taxes are. But diesel has even higher taxes... new cars are expensive beyond belief, but old ones have higher monthly taxes... taxes taxes taxes.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

To be honest, I don't think it's worth having a car in Europe. It's a lotttt cheaper in Germany, and those costs still add up. I'd rather keep the money!

That being said, it doesn't hurt to have a driving license. It lets you rent a car when you need one, and if you really feel like you need a car more often, you can join a car sharing service (if you have those there).

Comment

We don't plan to get one right now, but public transportation here is ****. My parents have two, so I can borrow my dad's to keep up experience. I'm just appaled at how much it costs!.. retning isn't much cheaper, but dad is a mechanic at a rental company.
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

That helps!

Maybe public transport will improve over time as well. If you want to boost the service, make sure you use it, but also complain and encourage others to complain. If the transport authorities think that no one cares about it, it just gets worse!

Comment

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a car. Perhaps it's the lack of public transportation in the US (at least where I live), or the fact that there aren't a large number of reliable jobs or services within walking distance, but I'd feel trapped.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            That helps!

Maybe public transport will improve over time as well. If you want to boost the service, make sure you use it, but also complain and encourage others to complain. If the transport authorities think that no one cares about it, it just gets worse!
                            Yea ^^ oh we complain alright! But it's state funded, they get money no matter what... train is still the easiest way of getting around as parking in town is hellish

Munin-Hugin it's also a question of size I think. I can get across Denmark by train in around 9 hours. It's just a tiny palce. Nothing is ever that far away.
                            What babe?
                            The babe with the power
                            What power?
                            The Power of voodoo
                            Who do?
                            You do!
                            Do what?
                            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

That's the big difference between there and this part of the world, though. Over here, there are definitely a handful of places where you can only get anywhere by car, but most places have public transport and at least somewhat bikeable roads. I think it's probably a bit less convenient where iris is, but in my part of the continent, I couldn't even imagine what I would do -with- a car. I'd have to find somewhere to park it! I'd have to worry about parking all the time! I'd have to wait at multiple traffic lights (you can usually get so much closer with a bike, which makes it faster to get through traffic if it's busy)!

People kept suggesting that we get a license and a car when we were going to move near Cologne because public transport is pretty bad there, but we couldn't justify the expense. My BF bikes there now and he thinks it's totally fine. I'm staying in Berlin now, so I'm glad we never did it.

If I moved back to Vancouver Island, I wouldn't drive. I sold my car a few months before I moved to Germany and started biking, and I thought "ummmm why haven't I been doing this forever?" Nowhere on VI is that big, so unless you live in the country, it's not really worth it. Nanaimo was the worst for driving because there are only three roads across the city for a population of 80,000, so I'm pretty sure biking would have been faster there! The past is the past, though. And Vancouver Island is pretty cyclist friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post

Munin-Hugin it's also a question of size I think. I can get across Denmark by train in around 9 hours.

Yeah, it takes a couple days to cross the US by train... Just DC to Chicago is something like 18 hours on an overnight express train.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X