THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

I don't really understand what people's issues are with other people's beliefs and practices. If you are against abortion, simply don't have one. If you are against same sex marriage, simply don't marry someone of the same sex. If you're against eating meat, then obviously don't eat meat! It's really not all the difficult, folks! It's my life, my body, my soul, my spirit, MY CHOICE.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
      I don't really understand what people's issues are with other people's beliefs and practices. If you are against abortion, simply don't have one. If you are against same sex marriage, simply don't marry someone of the same sex. If you're against eating meat, then obviously don't eat meat! It's really not all the difficult, folks! It's my life, my body, my soul, my spirit, MY CHOICE.
      I can explain the abortion issue. People who are pro-life consider a fetus a human being. To say "if you don't agree with abortion, just don't have one" is like saying "if you don't agree with murder, just don't do it," or "if you don't agree with slavery, just don't have a slave," or "if you don't agree with child molestation, just don't molest children," with the tacit understanding that you should just let people who do agree with those things continue to do them.

I understand that other people do not agree with the pro-life stance, but the reasoning behind it is not difficult for anybody who makes even a tiny effort to do so to understand.

I'm glad I could help you out on this.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There are those who live and let live within the laws of the land, and those who want to force everyone to bow to their religion.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

This is why I HATE Jersey Summers,it is almost midnight,and the temp is almost 80 degrees F,Albany was the same in the summer. I also still remember San Francisco summers,it could be 100 degrees in the day time,BUT at 5 o'clock the fog would roll in,and the temps went down to about 40 degrees,and you could sleep with no air conditioning on at all.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            I understand that other people do not agree with the pro-life stance, but the reasoning behind it is not difficult for anybody who makes even a tiny effort to do so to understand.
            While I'd like to see a world where people understand the reasoning of their opponents...

Far too much exposure to humanity tells me that the vast majority of humans (Pagans very much included) absolutely suck at seriously handling views sufficiently divergent from their own. Most people have a bit of leeway but after a certain point they suffer an understanding fail and start building 2d caricatures of the people they disagree with.

This is not unique to abortion though some of the worse examples pop up in it. Human beings just suck at being open-minded.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              This is not unique to abortion though some of the worse examples pop up in it. Human beings just suck at being open-minded.
              I'd just like to see people be rational in their decision making. I'd like to see people consider:

Where is the evidence that supports myopinion?
              Where is the evidence that doesn't support my opinion?
              How have I weighed the evidence before and against my opinion?
              Is my opinion consistent with my values? Is it consistent with my other opinions?
              What are the competing values that inform my opinion vs your opinion?
              How does acting on my opinion impact your ability to act on your opinion?
              Why do I think my opinion entitles me to attempt to restrict your ability to act on your opinion?
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I'd just like to see people be rational in their decision making. I'd like to see people consider:

Where is the evidence that supports myopinion?
                Where is the evidence that doesn't support my opinion?
                How have I weighed the evidence before and against my opinion?
                Is my opinion consistent with my values? Is it consistent with my other opinions?
                What are the competing values that inform my opinion vs your opinion?
                How does acting on my opinion impact your ability to act on your opinion?
                Why do I think my opinion entitles me to attempt to restrict your ability to act on your opinion?
                This would be a better world. It would also be a "wall-of-text" world. While you & I would read/listen/consider & thus grow in both wisdom and compassion, who else will?

Count 'em on yer digits (leave yer shoes on).
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  This would be a better world. It would also be a "wall-of-text" world. While you & I would read/listen/consider & thus grow in both wisdom and compassion, who else will?
                  So....this is where I come to the conclusion that either other people are really bad at showing that they have done this, or that my family (and yours) is really unique.

I'm not certain which is more rant worthy.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    So....this is where I come to the conclusion that either other people are really bad at showing that they have done this, or that my family (and yours) is really unique.

I'm not certain which is more rant worthy.
                    I'm an old guy. I learned this the hard way, by doing everything wrong, getting many bloody noses, and wondering why that guy in the mirror was such a jerk. I think this is something that takes a certain amount of bad experience to grasp.

But it begins best and takes firmest root early when kids are raised well.

Comment

As social media and such show, this is just not a 'wall of text' society. Maybe other periods in history weren't either, but it's also easier than ever before for a lie, stereotype, harmful rumor, and such to spread, and it's via social media. Not to mention TV and such. Much faster than the town crier anyways

On the other hand, good things and interesting things can also spread much quicker.

Lol, I jut had to edit because I accidentally put "and such to spread via social media" and then I realized. It did make me think of a comic the English department at college displayed which showed people at Shakespeare's Globe Theater tweeting about the play, lol.

Comment

It rained today. I like rain. I wanted to go for a walk, so I put on rain coat, rain pants and rain boots... that should keep me nice and dry... NO. Because two steps from my front door I had the pleasant sensation of wet feet. My rain boots let in water! Both of them. They're not even 2 years old, I've never had a pair break like that before... water just flows in on the side! They were fine last time it rained. *sigh*...
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I live in an apartment building for disabled adults. I have to go to a nurse to have my meds refilled. My mother needs me over at her house. It's past 4 PM and still I haven't gotten a call telling me to come up for my med refill. It's 4 fricking PM! To make things worse, a fly won't leave me alone!
                          "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

I'm really annoyed at all this flag hypocrisy. Traitor flag, racist history, used by the KKK... That's every bit as true for the US flag. People conveniently sidestep the fact that it wasn't just black people who were enslaved and/or oppressed, and it wasn't just in the south. The Irish, the Chinese, the natives, the Mexicans, the Japanese... All that is entirely whitewashed over, because that wouldn't make for as convenient a scapegoat.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                              I'm really annoyed at all this flag hypocrisy. Traitor flag, racist history, used by the KKK... That's every bit as true for the US flag. People conveniently sidestep the fact that it wasn't just black people who were enslaved and/or oppressed, and it wasn't just in the south. The Irish, the Chinese, the natives, the Mexicans, the Japanese... All that is entirely whitewashed over, because that wouldn't make for as convenient a scapegoat.
                              Just imagine what is being pushed in the shadows while the people are focused upon the red herrings? Give them a beast to raise their spears against and they shall never notice the rest of the things going on as they are to busy slaying the supposed dragon.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

My feelings about the "Flag",(the stars and bars) is ok so it is gone now,and it almost sounds like these people think its gone,no more racism. It is just a flag,and being gone is good,but there is always a deeper problem. Symbols may remind people why they hate,but the hate was there even without the flag...People are still dieing because of this OLD hate,and that is very sad to consider here in the 21st century(Flash Gordon anyone?)
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X