Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Someone told me my writing style is "quirky". I write how the words are thought in my head (and yes, I actually think parenthetically and with elipses--I feel like a cartoon with word bubbles in my brain sometimes).

the rant: It has occured to me, that "quirky" might not be a compliment.
    Your problem is that you write like you're smart.

That seriously reduces your potential audience.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Your problem is that you write like you're smart.

That seriously reduces your potential audience.

Damn.

I wonder what it says about my writing style...

Or lack thereof.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

AWWWWW, thanks Corbin!!

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        Damn.

I wonder what it says about my writing style...

Or lack thereof.
        You be genius!

Er...GENIUS!

(it needed more emphasis)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

AWWWWW, thanks Corbin!!

You be genius!

Er...GENIUS!

(it needed more emphasis)
          Is that a polite way of saying my "potential audience" isn't more than a handful? LOL

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            Is that a polite way of saying my "potential audience" isn't more than a handful? LOL
            If you don't know what you're saying, and, when you have finished speaking, your audience doesn't know what you've said, you've gotten your point across.

This is termed "effective communication."

Have you considered a career in politics?
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Someone told me my writing style is "quirky". I write how the words are thought in my head (and yes, I actually think parenthetically and with elipses--I feel like a cartoon with word bubbles in my brain sometimes).

I like your writing style!

Comment

I think I do this too, but I don't know what a parenthesis or elipse is lol.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Ugh, I'm so bored! I could be out doing things, I have money. It's still early yet, I could go to the gym, the movies, or just out to eat... But my stupid car only starts like half the time. If that.

Sometimes it just decides it doesn't want to start, so I have to wait for like twenty minutes then try again, at which point it may or may not start. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm bored right now, in front of a home theatre system with internet access. I'd be miserable in a parking lot waiting for my car to decide it doesn't want to be useless for a change. That's assuming I can get it started at all in the first place!
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                    I think I do this too, but I don't know what a parenthesis or elipse is lol.
                    A parenthesis is an aside (like here, where I'll add a little bit to the sentence but not a whole lot). That's distinctly different from a set of elipses where you just sort of trail off...

Comment

People have seriously lost their bloody minds. We just had our first Krispy Kreme donut shoppe open here in Adelaide, and people were camped out front of the shop for two days before it opened....

Not only that, but now someone has actually robbed teenagers at knifepoint to steal their six boxes of donuts...WTF...they're not even that good!!!!

Krispy Kreme bandit steals kids doughnuts at knifepoint from new store on Port Road, Adelaide

Comment

So, I don't notice anything odd about Thal's writing because I use both tricks far too often.
                        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post

A parenthesis is an aside (like here, where I'll add a little bit to the sentence but not a whole lot). That's distinctly different from a set of elipses where you just sort of trail off...
                          Ooo I do the parenthesis thing!! (A lot actually (my brain seems as weird/normal as everyone else here!)). And sometimes I do the elipse thing...

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                            People have seriously lost their bloody minds. We just had our first Krispy Kreme donut shoppe open here in Adelaide, and people were camped out front of the shop for two days before it opened....

Not only that, but now someone has actually robbed teenagers at knifepoint to steal their six boxes of donuts...WTF...they're not even that good!!!!

Krispy Kreme bandit steals kids doughnuts at knifepoint from new store on Port Road, Adelaide
                            Lol I saw that on facebook! It couldve been on your fb, I dunno.... bloody weirdos haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              You should get well first, then visit parties. Health is on the top of priorities. Heal soon, my friend
                              Thankyou but I'm not actually sick. My house is just freezing.
                              They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                              Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.
                              -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                                So, I don't notice anything odd about Thal's writing because I use both tricks far too often.
                                So the good thing about this is that you most likely will be able to pat yourself on the back for your mental acuity when you're 80, and remember why you are doing it.

Interesting research indicates that those who use complex grammatical constructions when young don't develop Alzheimer's disease.

Research Links Writing Style to the Risk of Alzheimer's

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Torey View Post

Those things are DISGUSTING!

Sticky, sweet, and gross.

I'd knife somebody for a cruller, but NOT a Krispy Kreme...

Comment

Working...
                                X