Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I find them really creepy. I swear, animals can sense the death there. They're probably the stillest places in Europe, in a creepy way.

I'm sort of done with them. I've been to three (Dachau, Sachsenhausen, and Auschwitz, in that order). I guess you sort of feel obligated to go to them when you're nearby, but I've had about as much as I can handle. Auschwitz bothered me a lot...the exhibit is really informative, but it's full of tourists who kind of treat it like Disneyland. I don't really think selfies at concentration camps are acceptable. Almost no one goes to Sachsenhausen (just outside of Berlin), so the atmosphere feels a lot more respectful.

It doesn't bother me that lots of people go to them...I think it's an important learning experience. It's just how they go about it. They're pretty serious places.

So this brings to mind a conversation I had with a few people a couple of weeks ago( I think I ranted about it). We have a small but very informative Holocaust museum. One of my guys was talking about going and asked if anyone wanted to go with him, I kid you not the bar manager spouted "I don't understand the point of a Holocaust museum." This bothered me just as much as a selfie at a camp...people amaze me.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      This twit. I wish I had a better job so I could buy a car. Get me some Geiko insurance. Travel with my car to wherever she is. Find her. Get a license in that state. Get cute tires with treads that say see you in tee. And then run her over.
      The end.
      This bitch.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit to add. But someone can say they want to smile at her dead dad and she threatens to kill them. She doesn't get it. At all.
      She doesn't, but she strikes me as a dumb kid on the Internet. We've all done and said some really dumb stuff when we were younger. Now, a bit of trolling on the net won't hurt anyone, but a lot of Internet shaming cases have ruined people's offline lives. I'm not really ok with that. I don't care if what the person said or did is dumb. It almost never warrants them losing their jobs, homes, partners, and all that jazz. I'm not sure what her aftermath was, but I doubt it was pretty.

I was 23 when I visited Sachsenhausen, and I went with a couple of friends. One of the friends had a really good sense of humour, and she had a way of saying things that she didn't really mean to be funny, but ended up being pretty funny. On the train home, she said "The concentration camp wasn't as fun as I thought it would be." She meant that she was a bit disappointed by the sparse exhibit, but that's how it came out. At 23, we kind of thought it was hilarious (FYI, I don't really think it's funny now). I took a video and put it on MySpace. This was back in the day, so nothing happened, but I'm sooooo glad I didn't do that now and put it on Twitter, YouTube, or something like that. I'm pretty sure it would have been brutal for her (and probably me, too). The point is, we all say and do stupid things when we are younger, ad sometimes, we either intentionally or unintentionally don't give things the sensitivity they deserve. Now that I'm older and more mature, I frown on that a lot, but I'd prefer to keep it to frowning and maybe saying something in person if it's really bad. I don't want to see millions of people harassing people online for making mistakes that we've probably all made in some form or another when we were younger.

Comment

While I think she's a twit and should be run over.... I would actually never go and harass her on social media. I only harass face to face.

Also I'm awake at 4am. Because I'm so used to going in so damn early. I have 2 days off. Not today Satan. Not on my watch.

Gonna put on Judgement at Nuremberg and listen and go back to beddy
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I need to make an appointment for my dog to get groomed. Her nails need trimming, badly. We have hardwood in our house, except the bedroom. She woke me up at 3am because hubby was waking up on the couch (he falls asleep watching daily show and that show after - used to be Colbert report) and she apparently decided she was going to dance around for him.

Also can't put down rugs because my bastard cats pee on those. I don't know why.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Damn Mother nature once again...snow for tomorrow after almost 60 degree weather the whole week..says about 4 inches...
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              Damn Mother nature once again...snow for tomorrow after almost 60 degree weather the whole week..says about 4 inches...
              It's the same over here! It was 65 three days ago, and it's going to snow on Monday! Ridiculousness.
              "Just so everyone knows, it's Spring break, and was nearing 70 a couple days ago. It's going to snow in a couple days, But global climate change is a lie brought to you by devil worshipping liberals"
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Looking out the window,where the snow had mostly melted this week...Now I see snow falling,and not a Florrie,full blown snow,and everything is covered again..supposed to be about 4 inches for this..and it is the first day of spring...slaps Mother Nature hard..Stop playing with me Mother..
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's quite nice out here in Illinois. I'm up in an oak tree in a local forest, without a shirt. I'm sorry to hear your Ēostre isn't the warmest though. That blows.
                  "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                  And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                  They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                  The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                  - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have the a/c on. It's 81

Comment

I have the a/c on. It's 81
                      I have the A/C on. It's 60F.
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                      Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Send some of that heat this way guys! I've had to go back to my winter clothes again.
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

There seems to always be that one person in a group who says hurtful things. Sometimes they don't even know it. Ugh.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It's funny but I can recall winter and snow running right up and into April over many years growing up in Virginia, District of Columbia (D.C.) and West Virginia. In that regard this year doesn't seem much different to me.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Sometimes my fb friends ride my nerves. And it's not like I can just not see them. Most of my fb friends I know irl. A lot I work with etc throughout my work history.

Today was day full of (lemme check mah list)
                              let's bring America under one god like it was in the beginning.
                              (my reply being would that be the Native American gods? And what would the Pilgrims say about this?

Another is like I went to Olive Garden and the menu was in a second language as well. Isn't this America?
                              (my reply was of course..would that be the Native American language or maybe what you thought was Spanish was actually..I dunno...ITALIAN (he is Mexican btw)
                              Or another friend (who is a member here and I had to call her out on her mommy overboard (but in total gest)
                              You never ever will know love until a bunch of stuff about baby toes and baby fingers.
                              (to which I replied. I love them in hot sauce)

Sometimes my fb feed gets a bit obnoxious with my dear friends trying desperately to be hipster edgy I guess.

And I just post stuff about Wolvie's butt and cats.

Comment

Sometimes my fb friends ride my nerves. And it's not like I can just not see them. Most of my fb friends I know irl. A lot I work with etc throughout my work history.

Today was day full of (lemme check mah list)
                                let's bring America under one god like it was in the beginning.
                                (my reply being would that be the Native American gods? And what would the Pilgrims say about this?

Another is like I went to Olive Garden and the menu was in a second language as well. Isn't this America?
                                (my reply was of course..would that be the Native American language or maybe what you thought was Spanish was actually..I dunno...ITALIAN (he is Mexican btw)
                                Or another friend (who is a member here and I had to call her out on her mommy overboard (but in total gest)
                                You never ever will know love until a bunch of stuff about baby toes and baby fingers.
                                (to which I replied. I love them in hot sauce)

Sometimes my fb feed gets a bit obnoxious with my dear friends trying desperately to be hipster edgy I guess.

And I just post stuff about Wolvie's butt and cats.
                                You know what gets me about those types of people? When they visit other countries, they complain about how they can't find menus in English. You wouldn't believe some of the irritating privilege I see here. A lot of places DO have English menus, but if they don't and it's somewhere that tourists might go, you'd better bet that they complain. It's such a double standard. I swear, it's usually the same sorts of people who complain about other languages in English-speaking countries (it's not just Americans) and who complain about a lack of English in other countries. Maybe it's because people who are more accepting of languages at home are more willing to try another language or at least buy a phrasebook.

Comment

Working...
                                X