X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Yeah - you have freedom of speech. You can't be sued unless you slander/libel, and you won't get arrested unless you incite a riot.
    I was more thinking along the lines of people who've been sued or arrested for teaching minors witchcraft without parental permission. I know I've heard stories about stuff like that. And I'm not seriously worried about that, though I am pretty seriously worried about getting kicked out of the school. Pagan. Bisexual. Polyamorous. Etc.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Why would you be teaching anything in a class run by someone else? You are free to practice your faith, within the limitations of the property owner, so long as it doesn't interfere with others who wish not to participate.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        I started Tae Kwon Do again. I decided to go back to the school I'd went to in high school so I wouldn't loose all my belts. Fine and dandy, they gave me my belts back. The school has been bought by Dugger-look-alikes... Ugh. They've got ten kids. A mini bus for transport. None of their kids have been vaccinated. Ever. They're homeschooled.

The kids seemed shocked when I seemed shocked that none of them had ever had a shot. When I told the fourteen year old to be careful because I'd just had a shot in my arm that day and didn't want to be kicked there, she literally thought I meant I had been shot by a gun. They are all sooooo sheltered. And they make up half (if not more than half) of every class. I find myself having to watch what I say lest I offend them or (OMG) teach them something their parents don't want them to know (like their god isn't the only one worshipped in the world) and get myself kicked out of the school. I don't like it.

The seventeen year old typically leads the classes I go to. The only non-minor in the family that shows up at all is the nineteen year old brother and him not often. Is it wrong that I'm afraid of being sued for a misplaced comment?
        Would you still have the belts if you now walked away and joined another school?

Also why would your religion be brought up in a class?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Would you still have the belts if you now walked away and joined another school?

Also why would your religion be brought up in a class?
          Typically no. And we take breaks, chat, etc. We very nearly got into a debate on the vaccine issue. I wouldn't be surprised if religion came up at some point. And most Asian martial arts have a spiritual aspect, so there's a tie in right there. Idk. It's just frustrating and I'm probably overthinking it.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            Yep, or a few years older (I'm 31). I just can't get it, because I think childhood was great back in the day, without all the bells and whistles. I think it's kind of like an adult pissing contest, where they see all these aspirational images and try to outdo each other. Like, "Look how much time and money I have!"

Don't get me wrong....I love making stuff and I'm really crafty. But there's a line.

Yep were the same generation, I'm 29. I really don't get it. Maybe its because I don't have kids, I'm also not the crafty one thats my husband.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Re: Billy Cosby Is A Rapist

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
              I just don't understand why Bill Cosby raped all these woman? At first I didn't believe if all 50 women was telling truth that Bill Cosby raped them. But now I know the truth. Bill Cosby raped all these women. I used to be a fan of Bill COsby but not anymore. What's bothers me about this whole accusation why didn't any of these women come forward about by 20, 30, 40 or 50 years sooner. They should have report his behind for the beginning. I just don't get it.
              So you now and believe all their stories? ... Not one of them jumped on the band wagon for the notoriety? ... Maybe he did ... Maybe not ... But I doubt if it is all of them ...
              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                Typically no.
                Really? My coworker does karate, and is a black belt (he also teaches)...I was under the impression (at least in karate) that they transfer within that style--when he tested for his whatever degree he is (I forget) black belt, he had to travel to DC because testing was a regional thing.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Really? My coworker does karate, and is a black belt (he also teaches)...I was under the impression (at least in karate) that they transfer within that style--when he tested for his whatever degree he is (I forget) black belt, he had to travel to DC because testing was a regional thing.
                  It depends. I'm out of practice for one thing and would need to retest to prove I know my stuff in a different school. And there are a few different styles of forms in tae kwon do. The school I go to learns ITF and WTF forms, mostly focusing on ITF I think (if I'm not remembering it wrong). I've still got my forms up to about orange belt down, and I'm progressing fairly quickly in recall, but if I went to a different school they would probably place me at green. That means paying all over again for a couple hundred dollars worth of testing fees. And really, my technique is higher than that, but forms mean a lot in the tae kwon do I've done.

Comment

Just how many women can one man rape? I understand not wanting to report rape and I understand women coming forward after there are others coming forward. The problem is that there is no evidence of rape this long after the fact. It is unlikely that a conviction can happen but then there is the civil court and grabbing at that money is a lot easier than convicting someone of a crime.
                    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Most good Karate schools are part of a national/international affiliation. My first Karate instructor was banned from the American Karate Association for training competitors to maim their opponents in contact matches. I switched to a different Dojo and instructor and then left. I liked the discipline and the spiritual aspects but the limits on the actual combat conditions was the deal breaker. while talking to my instructor he told me that there were two conditions that Karate was not recommended, when your opponent was twice your size and when your opponent had a gun. I decided that I needed a gun in order to cover all the conditions of a good defense. Having a belt higher than green or blue, depending on state or local laws, the charge for using Karate wrongfully is the same as using a gun. It is assault with a deadly weapon. Since the person with the gun almost always has the advantage it is a much better way to go. If a person takes a typical "karate stance" it is considered assault and is defense for using deadly force. Take at least two steps away and then employ your gun.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        Just how many women can one man rape? I understand not wanting to report rape and I understand women coming forward after there are others coming forward. The problem is that there is no evidence of rape this long after the fact. It is unlikely that a conviction can happen but then there is the civil court and grabbing at that money is a lot easier than convicting someone of a crime.
                        You are right. He could maybe rape only 20 at most. And since it's so long...we will all call it a lie.

Good job.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Comment

Dragon, I don't practice karate. I practice Tae Kwon Do. It might not seem a significant difference, but it does mean that I'm not affiliated with any karate school. The master of my school is from Korea. He founded his own school here and we have branches in a few different states now, I believe. We use forms accepted by the ITF and WTF (international and world tae kwon do federations respectively). He recieved his ninth Dan in Korea from a Korean school. I don't know of we're registered through either of those previously mentioned associations, but I don't think we are. And, in my experience, that's not exactly uncommon around here. I did participate in one other school in college. They dropped me back to white belt and their technique and forms were slightly different. The main instructors were much more MMA directed and incorporated kick boxing and karate into the class, even though it was labeled tar kwon do. They weren't associated with either of the organizations I'm familiar with either.

Comment

Modern horror movies. Seriously? If the lights flicker, my basement door sloooooowly creaks open, and an evil sounding child-like voice says "Come play with meeeeeee" from downstairs, why would you go investigate? Grab your damn keys, go out the door, and don't look back! Idiots. Plus, what is it with the utter lack of plot devices these days? I can't count how many movies begin with "struggling family with two happy children move out to the country with hopes to get back on their feet, buying an old, dilapidated mansion-type home that surprisingly was so very inexpensive". At that point, we all know that it's haunted, their renovations will disturb some evil that will torment the children first, most likely kill the husband, and at the end the traumatized mom and her now sullen kids escape and drive off into the sunset. Oh yeah, just before the fade-out, one of the kids looks out the rear window and sees the demon-ghost watching from out of an upstairs window.

Comment

Medusa,
                                I was being sarcastic when I asked the question. Rape is a very strong subject for me.
                                Pressing criminal charges after all this time is really not a good thing. There is simply no evidence remaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X