This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

I have the free version of Adblock, which works well on Facebook. Sometimes when I want to read an article, I'm asked to disable my ad blocker. Haha! I can live without those articles.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I've started finding the odd grey hair. I'd be fine with it, we all have to age after all, if it weren't for the fact that the thick black hairs appearing on my chin don't seem to have any shortage of melanin!!
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        Ad blockers are your friend. I use one built for firefox but others exist. Given that ads are a convenient source of malware, finding a decent free one to lock your browser down with is a good idea on a number of levels.
        Oh I have pop up blockers but it's the nested adds that cause a lot of the problems. Whether they be nested to open within the browser page or launch a new window. Basically you have a center area where the article, etc is located then along each margin and header and footer adds that seem to grow larger and take more and more time to laod. I know they help pay for the page but darn it gets out of hand.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Welcome to the dilemma of not dieing,but gaining the ravages of age. (you ache in the places where you used to play)
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            I've started finding the odd grey hair. I'd be fine with it, we all have to age after all, if it weren't for the fact that the thick black hairs appearing on my chin don't seem to have any shortage of melanin!!
            Wait till you get those that seem to grow out of your ear as well. Swear I never had them in my youth but sure seem to find them quite a bit now.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              Wait till you get those that seem to grow out of your ear as well. Swear I never had them in my youth but sure seem to find them quite a bit now.
              That will suck. I have to use silicon putty ear plugs because the foam kind hurt my ears. They work great so long as your ears are absolutely clean and dry, otherwise they won't stick firmly enough. I'm not sure how hair in my ears would affect them. At the very least I can't imagine it would be fun removing the plugs.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Delivery, delivery, delivery, how you deliver a piece of information is so very important especially at 6:30 in the morning on a day when I didn't sleep enough. Starting off by telling me that I made a dough wrong because it kept growing because so and so said so really rubs me the wrong way. One, he doesn't know anything about bread or pastry, two when it proofs regardless if its in a proofer, counter covered with a towel, or in a cooler to slowly proof or retard it is going to grow/double in size. It means it was made right! I realize you are horrible at your delivery as I have learned over time maybe next time just wait until time Mr. Know it all gets here and he can tell me I messed it up.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Oh I have pop up blockers but it's the nested adds that cause a lot of the problems. Whether they be nested to open within the browser page or launch a new window. Basically you have a center area where the article, etc is located then along each margin and header and footer adds that seem to grow larger and take more and more time to laod. I know they help pay for the page but darn it gets out of hand.
                  Pop up blocker != ad blocker. I'll try to remember to toss up some examples of what I mean when I get off work.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Pop up blocker != ad blocker. I'll try to remember to toss up some examples of what I mean when I get off work.
                    So... ad blocker examples

https://adblockplus.org/ is a particularly popular option that tries to be available for most systems

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/ is what I normally use these days as an extension to firefox but I haven't done any extensive testing to pick which I like best, ublock was easily found, highly rated and did what I wanted when I went looking so I went with it

There are others available. They are useful for speeding web browsing (less crap to download per page), security (read this) and generally limiting the clutter on a screen. They aren't perfect (if you believe in perfect in IT then I have some property on Coruscant to sell you) but they are nice features. There's the downside that a number of websites do actually get revenue from ads and take offense at this trick. It's a small downside though and easily ignored when helping them earn money increases the risk of malware on your machine. A few of such sites take steps to identify ad blockers in use and prevent access to anyone with one on. I haven't found such a site that I really need anything from but your mileage may vary.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Ad blockers are your friend. I use one built for firefox but others exist. Given that ads are a convenient source of malware, finding a decent free one to lock your browser down with is a good idea on a number of levels.
                      yaaas. Google chrome is great. They have a good adblock. I haven't seen an ad in years. Well except for those I purposely white list (like this site and other ones I want to support).
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I felt like I was doing so well this year. My parents threatened to take me to the mental hospital then decided not to. My mom is doing shady shit. Now I'm back in my messed up mode and playing around with drugs and getting so drunk I can't walk almost every weekend. Life is so odd. People just aren't people anymore.
                        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

So... ad blocker examples

https://adblockplus.org/ is a particularly popular option that tries to be available for most systems

.. .
                          I installed adblocker plus and was surprised at the number of adds it has flagged as being blocked already. Never really though of just how many ads there are on any given net site.

Thanks for that heads up i'd probably not have made that connection otherwise.

Comment

I installed adblocker plus and was surprised at the number of adds it has flagged as being blocked already. Never really though of just how many ads there are on any given net site.

Thanks for that heads up i'd probably not have made that connection otherwise.
                            Ads are an easy source of revenue for popular sites. My largest issues are that some are simply annoying as hell (I really don't like random video ads) and more importantly, they're an avenue for malware due to reasons explained in one of the links I tossed up.

Comment

I use ad blocker and pop-up blockers. I've been using them for so long I have forgotten what it used to be like.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X