Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facebook Activism

[quote author=cesara link=topic=1091.msg20014#msg20014 date=1291565085]

Indeed...but it's not just a tiny icon/picture....it's thousands.....clearly it's had a big impact because people are actually talking about it.

[/quote]

But is it STOPPING child abuse? No.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=1091.msg20015#msg20015 date=1291565206]
      [/quote]

Really? Are you sure?
      Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=1091.msg20014#msg20014 date=1291565085]

Indeed...but it's not just a tiny icon/picture....it's thousands.....clearly it's had a big impact because people are actually talking about it.

and yes, they could have made support more readily accessible in the original post, but, IMHO, most people would opt to go to their local authories anyway....
        [/quote]

I will say that I wouldn't have Googled the number if we weren't having this discussion, and now I know what it is. So I guess some good did come out of it

Comment

[/quote]

But who actually said its supposed to STOP child abuse? Its raising awareness for the charities that deal with the child abuse, in the UK it happens to be the NSPCC. And like cesera says, thousands are doing it, im sure it wont be long before it's on the news here.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=1091.msg20017#msg20017 date=1291565269]
            I will say that I wouldn't have Googled the number if we weren't having this discussion, and now I know what it is. So I guess some good did come out of it
            [/quote]

Well, there you go...haha...I googled it too, and, incidentally, Canada has the same number. .....but again, the 'campaign' could have most certainly disseminated information more effectively, as you demonstrated.
            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

I totally support this cause, which is why I've decided to change my userpic to my favorite cartoon character, Pedobear.
              [4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=1091.msg20052#msg20052 date=1291573944]
                I totally support this cause, which is why I've decided to change my userpic to my favorite cartoon character, Pedobear.
                [/quote]LoL.

You know, if it weren't for this thread and Caelia's similar question, I wouldn't even know what this was about.
                But now that I know, I can say that the rumor mill alleges the cause was tacked on after-the-fact.
                "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

[/quote]
                  But it's made the rounds of news stations everywhere. And that's causing awareness. As for a cartoon being a trigger? Those poeple need to grow a pair. Unless of coursed they were indeed raped by Papa Smurf or something.

People change their pic for whatever reason they want.
                  Being this upset about it, is like being upset I get presents and Santa doesn't visit Dumuzi because Santa hates Muslims. Tough shit.

;D
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=AzazelEblis link=topic=1091.msg20152#msg20152 date=1291616348]
                    But now that I know, I can say that the rumor mill alleges the cause was tacked on after-the-fact.
                    [/quote]

'Eh, its not the first time a cause--or any other thing, hopped on the bandwagon of something popular.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

This was my fb status to all those people who got upset because I changed my profile pic:
                      Omg. How dare we ask you to change your profile pic that is something NOT of you. OMG. A day without your ugly fucking mug. How dare us. How.Dare.Us. DIE IN A FIRE...hopefully lit by some abused kid.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

see...now that is funny

...and I bet they all come down now anyway, because here's the latest message going around

HEY SOMEONE JUST POSTED THIS..TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO CHANGED THEIR PICTURES TO CARTOONS FOR NSPCC: IT WASN'T FOR NSPCC, IT WAS FOR A GROUP OF PEDOPHILES WHO SET IT UP SO THAT CHILDREN WOULD ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FASTER AS IT WAS A CARTOON PICTURE. THIS WAS ON AN INTERNET FRAUD PROGRAM AND THE NEWS TONIGHT....COPY AND PASTE AS YOUR STATUS TO LET EVERYONE KNOW!!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Lol i saw that too thal, there was also one with "anyone who has a cartoon profile picture on december the 6th will be kicked off facebook and reported to the police". i changed mine simply because it wasn't december the 6th anymore.

Comment

I've decided that my slacktavism contribution to Facebook is going to be this, if I can get it readable:

sigpic

Comment

yeah its pretty funny someone wanted to cause an uprising saying it was started by pedophiles (which had no evidence, and seems illogical to me) and THAT is what gets it real life news publicity. not the fact that within days at least on my friends list 90% of the people had changed their pic.
                              "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

I changed my picture to piglet with a balloon (don't know why that's relevant XD) just because it can't really do any harm to change your picture to a cartoon for 4 days. It doesn't stop child abuse, and barely raises awareness for it, but it's all a bit of fun really. Anyone who hides behind a charity obviously isn't worth the effort
                                "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                                - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X