Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: But is it meat?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    When I was a vegetarian, it was purely for environmental reasons. As such, I (very occasionally) made exceptions for hunted meat and for fishing. When I stopped being a vegetarian, it was for health reasons, and when it comes to what I feed my family, its local and sustainably raised meat.

IMO (as I said before) it only makes sense if it uses less resources (which only has a slight bearing on cost) than actual animal meat. And in that regard, there are lots of variables (like feed lots vs *real* free range, etc).
    Agreed. To add to that, variables on the lab-grown meat side could include the size of the production facility (larger facilities require more resources, but may involve fewer resources per pound produced), the energy efficiency of the facility, the distance from the facility to the point of sale, how long the meat is stored before it is sold, etc. Like factory-produced anything, the environmental impact of the production can depend on a lot of factors.

Comment

Wait. Is the meat grown without the animal? I mean it just grows hamburger patties?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

No, it would be grown as muscle tissue from the cells of a living animal. It would have to be exercised, given nutrients and oxygen to grow.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
        X