Taken Off Life Support: Humane Or Murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken Off Life Support: Humane Or Murder

This is a good debate, taken off life support: humane or murder? In my opinion I consider that someone is taken off life support is consider murder because that person should rather be hook in the machine and to repair his/her brains cells. Miracles do happen but is very rare. If I know a friend or a family member who's on life support. I'll never take them off life support and to be charge with murder. What's everybody else opinions on this topic.

Re: Taken Off Life Support: Humane Or Murder

There are worse things than dying.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      There are worse things than dying.
      I agree. It is a difficult problem though, because we don't always know the outcome. For myself, I would most certainly prefer death than lingering on life support when there is little to no hope of recovering independent and reasonably competent function. I am then also faced with the fact that my husband spent some time ( weeks/months) in a coma when young, was technically dead for a matter of minutes, and recovered to lead a rather rich life. Which he pointedly enjoys with abandon. This has dampened my conviction on the topic to a certain degree, particularly when it comes to deciding for others. I think it is a matter of of accepting the moment when the odds are firmly against recovery, and respecting the wishes of the person at risk. A good reason to make your wishes clear to those who may have to decide.

Comment

My living will states "no extraordinary" means to prolong life. I stopped short of "do not resuscitate" because I might go down from anesthesia because I am so sensitive to it. I should have take drugs when I was younger and developed a resistance.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I, also, think that the best thing to do is make sure your wishes are clear - it is worth making a living will, just to be sure.

Not only does it ensure that your wishes are respected, it also takes the HUGE burden for a VERY difficult and traumatic decision off your family.

It is respectful all 'round.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I whole heartedly agree. My wife, if she was still alive, could never make that choice. We have talked a lot about our wishes for "end of life" situations. We will each be buried without embalming and in shallow graves so that we can return to the earth some of what we have taken. (green burials are expensive but worth it to us)
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Karen Ann Quinlan says it all
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                Karen Ann Quinlan says it all
                What a horrendous thing to befall a family. There are no winners in these arguments. Everybody loses...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  What a horrendous thing to befall a family. There are no winners in these arguments. Everybody loses...
                  Very much agree. People argue the ethics and such but it's the families that have to deal with it and live through it not those who argue about the right or wrong of it.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I, personally, would prefer that no extreme measures be taken.

That being said, I think there should be a medical standard for how long people are allowed to linger on life support. There are people that are on life support and have been for a decade or more. That's vastly excessive and a huge waste of medical funds in my opinion. I don't know what a reasonable amount of time is (if I were to rattle off a number in my head, I'd go with a year), but I'm sure the longer you're in a coma, the less likely you are to ever wake up. Taking someone off life support isn't murder because you aren't killing that person, something else has already done the damage. And we simply can't have wards full of people on life support because to take them off it would be "murder".
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

"Coma" and "brain dead" are two different things.

A person is likely to come out of a coma, but unlikely to come out of "brain dead."

It's important to know the difference, if one should ever be obliged to make hard decisions.

Comment

From what I've read, people never recover when they've been medically diagnosed as brain dead. Coma, vegetative state, and brain dead are all unique states.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Honestly...if I lost the use of my legs, I would request that somebody kill me. I certainly don't want to be alive if my life isn't considered a life.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Honestly...if I lost the use of my legs, I would request that somebody kill me. I certainly don't want to be alive if my life isn't considered a life.
                            Not to argue with you, but just to put this out there where it can be examined:

I come from a generation where many thought it would be better to die before one reached the age of sellout - 30-35.

Having passed that age (by a long shot) and discovered that the idea of "death before thirty" - was a total twiddle, I'd suggest that a person not decide before an event whether the events after an event are worth experiencing, iffin' ya know what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Not to argue with you, but just to put this out there where it can be examined:

I come from a generation where many thought it would be better to die before one reached the age of sellout - 30-35.

Having passed that age (by a long shot) and discovered that the idea of "death before thirty" - was a total twiddle, I'd suggest that a person not decide before an event whether the events after an event are worth experiencing, iffin' ya know what I mean...
                              Fair enough. But, coming from someone much younger than you, who has already had two knee surgeries, and had to learn how to walk again in her adult life...

I already know, that without the use of my legs, there is no life. I died, and was not reborn until I could walk again. That is no life I lived for the six months it took me to regain the use of my legs.

But I digress.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X