Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's ready for the hurricane?!?!

<-----------------ready for the hurricane

I like this line in the report from the National Hurricane Center: "Confidence remains very low in the eventual track of Joaquin and any potential impacts for the United States"
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Who's ready for the hurricane?!?!

I am keeping a weather eye on this one for sure Thal.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

This brings up a good question;
      Are you prepared for an emergency? Do you have a week or two of food and water to stay healthy in an emergency? Do you have enough fuel in your vehicle and supplies you can grab and go if you must? Do you have a safe place to go in an emergency? Do yo have medical kits, spare glasses, and enough of the prescription medicines to last two weeks? How about clothing appropriate for emergencies, like boots, heavy pants and long sleave shirts and good protection from the elements where you live?

Ate you even aware of what events might happen in your area? Floods, Tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes? All of this is part of taking control of your life and staying healthy.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
        This brings up a good question;
        Are you prepared for an emergency? Do you have a week or two of food and water to stay healthy in an emergency? Do you have enough fuel in your vehicle and supplies you can grab and go if you must? Do you have a safe place to go in an emergency? Do yo have medical kits, spare glasses, and enough of the prescription medicines to last two weeks? How about clothing appropriate for emergencies, like boots, heavy pants and long sleave shirts and good protection from the elements where you live?

Ate you even aware of what events might happen in your area? Floods, Tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes? All of this is part of taking control of your life and staying healthy.
        This is something Torey and I have been meaning to work on for a while now. We DO have a comprehensive emergency hiking/road trip kit that we take everywhere with us (first aid kit, rope, shock blankets, rain ponchos, microfibre blanket, knife, firestarter... and next to be added will be freezedried rations, water sanitiser tablets and foldable bowl/water collection device, if they don't add too much weight) but we've never done one for the house in general. Our pantry is always really well stocked with tinned and dry goods, so that's never a problem... but we don't buy water so if the water went out or was suddenly not potable we'd be screwed. When our new house is built, we'll be in a bushfire area, so we'll need to have a bushfire plan and emergency kit... so that'll be a good excuse to have an 'emergency anything kit' at the ready.

I remember a link that was posted a while ago (by Thal, I think) about the zombie apocalypse emergency kit that was really just a natural disaster emergency kit dressed up in a fun concept... I like that. I'm going to make a zombie apocalypse crate that lives in the garage and can be loaded into the back of the car in one easy step.

Comment

I have been called a "survivalist", "paranoid" and a "prepper" what ever that is but I have always worked to be ready for anything that is likely to happen. One of the minor reasons I left the Seattle area is the Cascadia fault. There are no preparations that are good for that one, and it is more likely to let go every year.

For those of you who don't know the Cascadia fault is just off the coast of Washington and Oregon. It generates earthquakes that are 9+ on the Richter scale and is is something like 30000 years past the median eruption time. That means it will be a big one this time. The geologist are predicting 9+ maybe as high as 10. The quake will destroy roads and flatten even the most well built buildings. About twenty minutes after the quake will come a tsunami that will likely flood the greater Puget sound area to an elevation of 100 feet. Seattle, Tacoma, and Everett and all points west will be a wasteland without power, drinking water or food. Natural gas fires will start what is left of the area burning and without resources it will just burn until only ash is left. I am in a fairly safe area right now with no big storms in the history and only minor quakes.
          I would advise anyone living in the western parts of Washington, Oregon and northern California to get out NOW. If you think I am wrong just look up the Cascadia fault and go to the UW geology department. The truth of this thing is stranger than fiction.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been called a "survivalist", "paranoid" and a "prepper" what ever that is but I have always worked to be ready for anything that is likely to happen. One of the minor reasons I left the Seattle area is the Cascadia fault. There are no preparations that are good for that one, and it is more likely to let go every year.

For those of you who don't know the Cascadia fault is just off the coast of Washington and Oregon. It generates earthquakes that are 9+ on the Richter scale and is is something like 300 years past the median eruption time. That means it will be a big one this time. The geologist are predicting 9+ maybe as high as 10. The quake will destroy roads and flatten even the most well built buildings. About twenty minutes after the quake will come a tsunami that will likely flood the greater Puget sound area to an elevation of 100 feet. Seattle, Tacoma, and Everett and all points west will be a wasteland without power, drinking water or food. Natural gas fires will start what is left of the area burning and without resources it will just burn until only ash is left. I am in a fairly safe area right now with no big storms in the history and only minor quakes.
          I would advise anyone living in the western parts of Washington, Oregon and northern California to get out NOW. If you think I am wrong just look up the Cascadia fault and go to the UW geology department. The truth of this thing is stranger than fiction.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Now thats a thread i could open again....

Lools like Joaquin is headed east and all we'll get is rain rain rain
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

<--- essential personnel working during Hurricane

Comment

From what I heard, Joaquin isn't going to make it as far inland as Phoenix, but after all the rains it's surely going to create at least one river.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Lools like Joaquin is headed east and all we'll get is rain rain rain
                  Yep, as of this morning. But a hurricane draws its strength from the ocean. If it sits over the Atlantic it could build up more power, and if we get easterly winds, it could track back towards shore. We have bagged ice in the freezer, and an upright freezer in the garage. If we lose power, and don't keep opening the refrigerator and freezer, they can stay cold for 24-36 hours. The Wegman's near us, where I food shop anyway, has their own generator. During Sandy they had more ice than Antarctica. There was no limit on how many bags you could get. We have candles up the wazoo, and a gas stove, which is not electronic ignition. We fared pretty well during Sandy, having lost power for 3 days, but not losing any food. I was even able to make coffee by boiling water on the stove and then pouring it through the basket in the coffee maker.
                  śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                  śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

When I get home tonight I'll be making a dozen or so candles, and checking to see how much propane I have for the grill. I don't really worry about stocking up on things all too much because these days, you don't really get cut off from much. At least in this area.

Comment

Its just going to rain but to hear the Weather Channel tell it everyone on the East Coast is doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        Its just going to rain but to hear the Weather Channel tell it everyone on the East Coast is doomed.
                        Yea, models have shifted. That's why they are models. Weather=chaos theory. There are too many variables, and even small changes can lead to big changes down the road. As it is, the models can still change again, based on new information about the storm.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X