Organ transplants from pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ transplants from pigs?

Next up on the operating table is a pig and a man (don't ask how to tell the difference. I've heard that joke before). The magic trick is that the pig heart will be placed in the man's chest, replacing his real heart.

All this because the little piggy has been given some 5 human genes so as to avoid rejected organs.

Oh. And the pig gave it's life.

Debate - Is it ethical to raise animals specifically to harvest their organs for human implants?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Organ transplants from pigs?

A bit off topic I know,but I always remember the myth of I think Circe turns men into pigs. What comes to mind when they talk of using pig parts for transplant is the pigs were once men. I also at times wonder if that is why the ban on eating pork.

Just my take,but it does seem interesting about pigs...also this little piggy went to market.. also human flesh is called long pig...
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It all depends on whether or not you place the value of the life of humans above the other animals. As a member of the species, I do. Life is all about giving your descendants the best chances in life, really. That's a pretty scientific view, but it is a visibly obvious one, too. We have different ways to put our kids chances ahead (supporting to end private schools; sending your kids to provate schools; supporting to improve state schools; cutting funsing to state schools; supporting the continuation or abolition of inheritance tax) if we want kids, we want them to be the best they can. Whether you like it or not, it will be at the expense of someone else. So, can we say that the death of an animal may give our species better chances? Is harvesting organs for tra splants any worse than animal husbandry and farming? Not really. Not unless we support a Bronze Age farming revival. If you eat meat, as I do, I don't think it's possible to condemn this. Particularly as none of us have been in the situation to say we wouldn't do the same.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Can we still harvest the ham and bacon?
        We already raise animals for the specific reason to keep us alive. What is the difference in whether we use the organs to replace our own or eat them to stay alive?
        This isn't any more an ethical question than the raising of farm animals for food. Just because we introduce a process by which the organs are not rejected changes nothing.
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I wonder if people who object to using an animal host body to grow the parts would object when it is another human, especially a sibling, that is used as a replacement source? Reminds me of the movie MY SISTER'S KEEPER where the story line is a younger child produced to keep the older child alive and provide some replacement parts.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Well, I eat bacon. I can hardly object to using a pig's flesh to save a man's life when I eat it for a hearty breakfast. I'm not saying that it's moral, but it would be rather hypocritical to frown on doing an equal degree of murder to the one I make when hungry to delay death.

Comment

Ghost organs. Its basically pig parts "washed" of their cells then able to be transplanted and used as a framework to inject the hosts cells and stem cells to make it 100% compatible with the host. It would be as if you regrew a heathy heart or lung or liver etc. Right now it's just hearts I think. I believe there was a Ted Talks as well on the subject. They hope to eventually do this with human donor hearts, so as usual animals are the test subjects.

Comment

Margaret Atwood has forever claimed my imagination on this topic. Pigoons!

Comment

I do believe it is unethical, but then I believe the same for raising animals to kill for food etc.
                  But then although it's unethical, I do eat meat myself, it is a requirement for most people to live, so although I do wish the meat we consume was a product of naturally caused deaths and I would never accept a transplant myself, it's not anyone's place to judge those who would. And as for the people that agree with raising cattle for meat but disagree with raising them for organs, that sort of opinion just makes no sense to me.

Comment

You eat meat ... You find it unethical to raise animals for food ... ?????
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I find it unethical, but sadly something. that has to be done in this day and age, I hate it, but I won't be hypocritical, I go against what I believe for the need to survive, I may not like it and may express my views agaimst it, but I won't be hypocritical by judging those who are all for it... if that makes sense

Comment

in a strange way it does ...
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Wild animals are prey or predator depending on the situation. Death by killing is natural in the wild. animals don't die of old age, they die at the terror of tooth and claw.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                          X