Witches, chicks, and your brain on juju

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witches, chicks, and your brain on juju

Make of this what you will, you witches...

The Neuroscience of Witches
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Witches, chicks, and your brain on juju

"To begin with the obvious, witches are women." I will bring my witch stepfather the news...
    Always so amusing when non-Pagans explain the core of witchcraft :P

Comment

Originally posted by Thrudr View Post
      "To begin with the obvious, witches are women." I will bring my witch stepfather the news...
      Always so amusing when non-Pagans explain the core of witchcraft :P

witch (n.) Look up witch at Dictionary.com
      Old English wicce "female magician, sorceress," in later use especially "a woman supposed to have dealings with the devil or evil spirits and to be able by their cooperation to perform supernatural acts," fem. of Old English wicca "sorcerer, wizard, man who practices witchcraft or magic," from verb wiccian "to practice witchcraft" (compare Low German wikken, wicken "to use witchcraft," wikker, wicker "soothsayer").
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If that article isn't the worst bogus psuedo-science I've ever read, I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
          If that article isn't the worst bogus psuedo-science I've ever read, I don't know what is.
          Really? Which bits?

Personally, I think justifications for the power of juju based on quantum-crap, pyramid power, and ancient astronauts is "the worst bogus pseudo-science I've ever read."

But I'm a sucker for footnotes linked back to peer reviewed journals...

Comment

Well, I never make it past the first paragraph of most of those type things, so I can't really have been said to have read them. I might have been a bit hyperbolic, but still. Relating everything to 'neuroscience', no evidence of a scientific study, etc. Terrible form.

Mod note: Please use only the default colour. Changing the colour makes it hard to read on certain themes. Thank you!
            Last edited by volcaniclastic; 03 Nov 2015, 07:16. Reason: Edited back to default colour

Comment

Its absolutely not a scientific study, its an article in Huffington Post... And as such, it wasn't bad article. There were some problems with it--but its in a format that is basically an editorial, so that is forgivable.

But really, if you look at witchcraft as a social phenomenon and then look at the neuroscience of the social phenomenon, he's not wrong in his conclusions as a historical social average. Witchcraft is the tool of the opressed--it subversive by nature, to give powerless people agency in areas where they have little or no power. Just because we've made it something else doesn't change it historically.

Which he clearly talks about right here: "It is important to emphasize that we are speaking here of the evolution of the human brain over eons, which is the product of the traditional roles of males and females in a struggle for survival in the wild, and we are speaking of population averages. Today human beings enjoy diverse varieties of interpersonal relationships in a very different environment. Technology has given women control over their reproductive ability and expanded opportunities for women. While drawing these general conclusions, it is important to remember that everyone's brain is different. However, every biologist knows well that sex is the hub of animal behavior and the driving force for evolution."
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

St. John's wart ??? Really? I wonder where it was...

That said it was gloriously vague... 'in prehistoric times,' I mean, WHICH prehistoric times are we talking about? And where?
                As for the ergot poisoning...
                Yes, there were references, but they were barely related to the subject matter for the most part. If I were marking it, the words 'Must try harder' would probably have sprung to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I wanted to add but had to go away and check I still had the document first... one of the problems with claims of witchcraft (whether we claim it for ourselves or accuse someone else of doing it) is that we can be mistaken. I have a fascinating article from a journal claiming that one reason for the witchcraft trials in various areas was a complete misunderstanding of the effects of certain plants upon animals. Fascinating read - if anyone would like me to send it to them, please pm me with your email address and I'll gladly send it over.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Well, I never make it past the first paragraph of most of those type things, so I can't really have been said to have read them. I might have been a bit hyperbolic, but still. Relating everything to 'neuroscience', no evidence of a scientific study, etc. Terrible form.
                  The author is, actually, a well known neurobiologist, Dr. Douglas Fields, so it's not surprising that he launched his Halloween blog post with neuroscience

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  Something I wanted to add but had to go away and check I still had the document first... one of the problems with claims of witchcraft (whether we claim it for ourselves or accuse someone else of doing it) is that we can be mistaken. I have a fascinating article from a journal claiming that one reason for the witchcraft trials in various areas was a complete misunderstanding of the effects of certain plants upon animals. Fascinating read - if anyone would like me to send it to them, please pm me with your email address and I'll gladly send it over.
                  I've also read that it was a land-grab plot.

I imagine it was a few things mixed together...

Comment

Huh, no surprise about that then. Still, I like my articles with unbiased studies attached, rather than off the wall speculation by someone who I'm certain is generally competent, but knows relatively little about what he's writing.

Comment

Huh, no surprise about that then. Still, I like my articles with unbiased studies attached, rather than off the wall speculation by someone who I'm certain is generally competent, but knows relatively little about what he's writing.
                      Well... it is gonna depend on what one takes as "real knowledge."

There is the archaeological study of witchcraft, which is one thing, the historical study of witchcraft, which is another, the study of witchcraft legends/stories/myths/literature, which is again different, and the religious history of witchcraft, which is yet another another... and they don't match up real well... no, not at all...

Comment

That was the quality of writing I expected from the Huffington Post.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                          That was the quality of writing I expected from the Huffington Post.
                          Huff Post is actually pagan-friendly.

Comment

*checks supply cabinet, altar, library ... hmmm witch

*checks shorts ... hmmm ... no witch ...

Oh yeah ... wizard ... heh heh heh
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I can't day o read the ENTIRE article, but I read quite a bit of it before I had to go on to doing other things. But he's sort of onto something in what he was saying, and his arguments for such are well laid out and can find support in archeological and anthropological research. Another aspect of it that I'm not sure many have noticed is that it is about women and empowerment, and was written by a MAN. That right there is something to be taken into consideration as a leap forward in and of itself.

And as to the reference to witches being female, take a look at the Norse myths. Seidr was practiced by women, and could be looked at as a type of magic and witchcraft for that culture. Odin had to sacrifice much to learn of it, showing that it is something natural in women, but men (and even a god, at that!) had to struggle to gain that knowledge. So in a way, even myths can be used to support his case, as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X