Fire Drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Drills

Drills like that help to prepare people for emergencies that might arise. We perform drills at home for power outages, fires, earthquakes and wind storms. I have my home "earthquake ready" in that the book cases are anchored to the walls and heavy items that might cause injuries are fastened to their supports. We have fire extinguishers and practice using them. There is a lot of good in preparations as long as the process allows for changing circumstances. I have tools to shut the water off, shut the gas off and can shut the power of to all three buildings with a single switch. We have removed the trees from around the home and out buildings too. The winds at this time of year get quite high in the area, some have been recorded at 90 mph. Today is rather mild at 50 mph with gusts to 65 predicted.

Being prepared for the conditions in which you may find yourself is a good idea.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      Today at AHRC, we've fire drill practice and the whole building evacuated for practice. Here's my thoughts and experiences of fire drills. When I was in elementary and a special edcuation school there's always a fire drill at random. And I believe that fire drills are pointless. I mean what the point with so many fire drills and they never have a single fire before. I think it's get annoyed after while a while with so many fire drills and there won't be a single fire ever. So what's your take on fire drills?
      I'm an electrician that specializes in fire alarm systems. Fire drills are mandatory by most (if not all... I don't know every single jurisdictions requirements) jurisdictions and the mentality that a fire is never going to happen is flawed on every single level that I can think of. Just earlier this year, a condo building burned down completely and the reason why no person was injured is because the system worked, was tested regularly and maintained correctly. Most insurances require proof of this, too.

Fire alarm systems are not pointless or dumb. They save lives. Yes, the noise they make is annoying but that's the point. To make people get out. If it was a pleasant sound, do you think people would leave? Do you think people would evacuate a room of natural gas smelled like baking cookies rather than rotten eggs?
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
      X