Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pretty privelege

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I only know four people who have had plastic surgery, and all four were incredibly attractive to begin with. Three of them didn't do anything to their face, and the one who did looked significantly worse afterwards (seriously, I don't know why absolutely stunningly attractive women would get lip injections).

I'm sure it's different in California (I have a few friends who moved to LA and they always talk about how people just get it there like it's nothing), but I don't think that most people who are attractive paid for it in the rest of the world.

Anyway, the most successful people I know aren't particularly attractive. They're not unattractive, but they're average. BUT they know how to present themselves (well dressed, well groomed), they have amazing personalities, and they're fairly outgoing. I think those three put together can do a lot more for you than looks ever could.
    I'm in LA county. You know. where Hollywood is. And Beverly Hills. Next county over is Orange. Ever see The Real housewives of Orange County?
    In my experience living here in Southern California, I could lay odds in my favor of a beautiful person having had work done. I'm tainted because I'm in Beautiful capital of the USA pretty much.
    Even our pets get work done on them.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      I'm in LA county. You know. where Hollywood is. And Beverly Hills. Next county over is Orange. Ever see The Real housewives of Orange County?
      In my experience living here in Southern California, I could lay odds in my favor of a beautiful person having had work done. I'm tainted because I'm in Beautiful capital of the USA pretty much.
      Even our pets get work done on them.
      That's exactly what I meant. I know it's like that there. But that's not how it is in the rest of the world.

I also know that expectations are a lot different there. It's so normal to get surgery there that pretty much everyone feels the need to look like that. Over here, "attractive" is more about making the most of what you've got.

Comment

That's exactly what I meant. I know it's like that there. But that's not how it is in the rest of the world.

I also know that expectations are a lot different there. It's so normal to get surgery there that pretty much everyone feels the need to look like that. Over here, "attractive" is more about making the most of what you've got.
        Well that's because Germans are just horridly naturally beautiful

lol. We had a foreign exchange student in hs from Germany. Just stunning. And super nice. And I hated that I didn't hate her.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

People who get work done on their pets should have their pets taken away.
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I agree. And if knowing how people are biased toward beautiful, I'm not one to be a hater to someone who takes advantage of that.
            To be honest, why do I have the job I have now?

In part because I had two school age kids when I applied. That, I guess, is "privege." Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well that's because Germans are just horridly naturally beautiful

lol. We had a foreign exchange student in hs from Germany. Just stunning. And super nice. And I hated that I didn't hate her.
              Nahhhh we're normal looking people. Some of us are attractive, and some of us are not. Most of us are average

Comment

Well, average Finns look like bloated turnips so I would say that average Germans are quite pretty.
                baah.

Comment

Lots of Germans look like bloated turnips! Funny though, because if you asked German people if they thought Finns were attractive, they'd come back at you with Scandinavian stereotypes. I think we all think our neighbours are more attractive than we are.

Comment

So while thinking about this thread at work today and then later in the shower, cause I have been meaning to get to this for days, the joke at work for a long time was that Fearing's had all the attractive cooks and banquets had all the unattractive cooks. The reason for this was because Fearing's is an open kitchen meaning you can see us at all times. There is no glass or walls that separate me from you. You can see me the entire time your in Dean's Kitchen, you can hear me yell, cuss, sing, see me scratch my nose, and prepare your meal. So in reality this wasn't a joke. Not to say banquets didn't have pretty people, but Dean wanted attractive people to show case his food. At one time the line was full of very attractive mid 20's men, later we added very attractive mid 20's women. We are still for the most part a pretty attractive line.

Is it wrong that one of the things we look for is how pretty you are in addition to how well you cook? Yes, yes it is. But I also know if you can show case a great personality that will get you pretty far. I know this because I am by no means a stunningly beautiful girl but I've got a great personality and a willingness to learn. I have only not been hired for 2 positions that I've interviewed for.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Lots of Germans look like bloated turnips! Funny though, because if you asked German people if they thought Finns were attractive, they'd come back at you with Scandinavian stereotypes. I think we all think our neighbours are more attractive than we are.
                      I live in America, y'all(because stereotypes) are considered attractive and you aren't even our neighbors. But then again we have a horrid obesity issue here, like bloated turnip is probably a compliment to some of these whales walking around.

Comment

Working...
                      X