Thank you so much American education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank you so much American education

In high school and college I took a government class which discussed the supreme court, we also discussed all three levels of government. If your taking basics in college you are going to take a government class. There will also always be (and please don't take offense) dumb people who know nothing but whats going on but whats on their social media, and their scope of friends, and hometown life, and then you have those are interested in the world and its workings. It also seems these are the "know it alls" that need to be heard and know best for the country.

Hawk you are right I believe in the fact that younger generations are less prepared for the world. It doesn't mean they are less intelligent then the generation before them it just means their parents have not prepared them for life outside the home. They have very little life skills. Which I think is a topic for a different thread. And lets be honest who wants to pay attention to today's news when you have 3 major news channels that blow stuff WAY out of proportion.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

In Junior high we had a civics class,and if you did not pass it,you got held back. All about how the Government and kinda how society works. This was in California,and this was about 1961-62. Things change.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It doesn't change that much. My sister is a senior in high school, and she has to take a government class to graduate. The world is not doomed because of the young. Yes some of them are ignorant but there were plenty of ignorant ones in my generation just like there were ignorant ones in your generation. The world is just changing. Like it has been forever changing. If we want to say the world is doomed its because most of us don't do anything to save the world. Its not because of the next generation though.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

See the 9th planet thing and the end of the world AGAIN. I knew there would be another end of the world thing,and wondered what it would be THIS TIME!!!
          Not enough that we got so many fires burning around the globe,but we have to add another Mass crazy again.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Lol I think some people just need a purpose in life, and that purpose is predicting the end of the world!!!!!

Comment

You just know this gonna go viral on the interweb......I think it has already started...search for Nibiru and David Bowie.

Well,look at this.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                It doesn't change that much. My sister is a senior in high school, and she has to take a government class to graduate. The world is not doomed because of the young.

My brothers had/have civics (its a freshman/sophmore class, that one brother is taking and the other took two years ago), and yeah, its a graduation requirement to get your diploma pass for the state. The idea that kids aren't taught this stuff is silly, and quite frankly dangerous. Not only was it a high school requirement, but political science was a requirement for my degree, as was either US or World history (I took both because I have a history minor). Add to that, my daughter is in the 3rd grade and learning about the different branches of the government right now. Her study guide includes knowing the three branches of the government and what they do, the house and the senate and the differences between them, who her representative and senators are, and how many justices are on the supreme court, also the difference between state and federal government.

Heck, the hubby and I went and asked people where we worked if they could just list and name (without looking it up) any of the SCOTUS justices, and 11 of the 14 ADULTS that I talked to, my age or older couldn't manage a single person. No one got all of them. My department head got 7, which is the most of anyone I asked. The other two people got 4 and 5. When the hubby asked me last night, I could name 7 and say "damn, I forgot one of the female judges whose name escapes me at the moment...and that dude whose name I will never remember". After looking it up afterwards, I can totally name 8 of them--but there's this one totally nondescript guy that I can never picture, so I never remember him.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

All told, I can probably name about half the court off the top of my head but the SC's function means more to me than it's individual makeup. What perturbs me isn't that someone can't name all nine, it's that someone would confuse a low on the totem pole trial judge for civil suits with a SC Justice and that isn't a failing of the education system to teach government. It's a failing of significant parts of the population to care.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well,this is America....We get what we vote for,and that is saying a lot.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

It seems that the old traditions are going with the wayside. They have developed a new way of doing math for example. What's the matter with the old way? What about cursive writing? It seems like there are hardly anyone being taught that any more. We are moving forward in terms of technology, which is important, yes, but we also need to keep with the old type of education, maybe merge them together. Not just teach our children through technology. I know when I was in high school, way back in the day (I graduated in 2001), I had to take a language class, a math class, typewriting, and of course we had different electives. I do regret now that I hadn't paid more attention and done better back then, but we have to be responsible and make sure our children get that education and don't go in to the world blind. It's our responsibility for them.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        What perturbs me isn't that someone can't name all nine, it's that someone would confuse a low on the totem pole trial judge for civil suits with a SC Justice and that isn't a failing of the education system to teach government. It's a failing of significant parts of the population to care.
                        Yeah, but I can see, in a multiple choice question, using her REAL name (which, btw, I did not know until reading the article Corbin posted) that 9% of respondents might guess that. I mean, random chance alone would suggest that (given 5 possible choices) 20% would have done so.

Its not like the question was posed as "is Judge Judy a SC justice?"
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Yeah, but I can see, in a multiple choice question, using her REAL name (which, btw, I did not know until reading the article Corbin posted) that 9% of respondents might guess that. I mean, random chance alone would suggest that (given 5 possible choices) 20% would have done so.

Its not like the question was posed as "is Judge Judy a SC justice?"
                          That I can see happening easier than just having people randomly guess Judge Judy as an SC Justice. I'm not sure I'd make the error (I'd like think that given a list of names, I'll figure out who is who) but it's a less disturbing error to make.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

See, I follow politics heavily every day. But, even then there is so many players I can't remember all the names. Plus, I'm really bad with names.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                              It seems that the old traditions are going with the wayside. They have developed a new way of doing math for example. What's the matter with the old way?

Over the past week, I've seen this image multiple times on Facebook and elsewhere, a supposed denunciation of the Common Core version of math that kids are now learning: That picture is especially popular on conservatives' Facebook walls... and I'm sure one of your relatives has said something about it, too. On the surface, it seems ridiculous. The top makes sense; the bottom is silly; screw you, Common Core! Except that the top doesn't make sense, the bottom does, and the connection to Common Core is completely misunderstood. (Says this math teacher.) Here's what's going on:

Math can't catch a break. These days, people on both ends of the political spectrum are lining up to deride the Common Core standards, a set of guidelines for K-12 education in reading and mathematics. The Common Core standards outline what a student should know and be able to do at the end of each grade. States don't have to adopt the standards, although many did in an effort to receive funds from President Obama's Race to the Top initiative.

What about cursive writing? It seems like there are hardly anyone being taught that any more.
                              Why do you need it? Where do you work or live where anything is in cursive, other than your own notes? I don't turn in ANYTHING that is handwritten at work. My parents don't even use cursive...just my grandparents, and I don't get mail from anyone else.

We are moving forward in terms of technology, which is important, yes, but we also need to keep with the old type of education, maybe merge them together. Not just teach our children through technology.
                              How about we teach kids with stuff that we've determined works well, and not just stuff that works? The difference between education 100 years ago and today is that we have about 100 years (and several dozen countries) worth of data of what works and what doesn't, and what works better...

I know when I was in high school, way back in the day (I graduated in 2001), I had to take a language class, a math class, typewriting, and of course we had different electives. I do regret now that I hadn't paid more attention and done better back then, but we have to be responsible and make sure our children get that education and don't go in to the world blind. It's our responsibility for them.
                              Have you looked at state standards for education? Minus the typing, they still have to do this (and more).
                              sigpic

Comment

I do remember the "New" math that used logic diagrams That started just as I was graduating HS. Now I have studied Logic as part of my first job in the Navy(communications tech) and went to school for that(I did however change rates after a bit to ships serviceman,had to do with the clearance thing,I passed,but it made me think about what I was opting in to)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X