X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ONLY AUTHORIZED ELECTION NEWS THREAD--no debating allowed

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    The really sad thing is that it isn't just Trump or Trump supporters. It seems to be taking place in far too many situations. It seems like what used to be called "bad behavior" is now "regular behavior," and there isn't "bad behavior" unless you kill a puppy (on TV).
    Yes. It starts in the home. I hear things that outright shock me because they are so contrary to how I was raised. (Kid says they want a certain thing for dinner, mom makes that , then kid takes something different from dad's plate and eats it instead, and this is all good. I would have been made to stand by my choice.) Those little everyday things add up and you get people with less respect, less ability to commit to and understand the ramifications of, decisions, etc. I'm not saying parents should be dictators or be mean to kids, but there are so many opportunities to gain valuable life lessons that are lost. The depreciation of honor and respect shows in general public attitude, and is reflected in some leadership candidates as well. As above, so below, and all that.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Actually, when you have a large, economically undeserved population and a Presidential candidate is openly hostile to said economically undeserved group you have a recipe for violent clashes that has nothing to do with whatever acceptable behavior is.

But, what's really amazing how the older generation, like my father or grandmother how I hear things that outright shock me like how things were better in colored neighborhoods or referring to black people as negro or nigger, all quite openly. I was most definitely not raised like that. We really need to do something about that older generation and their 1950's values.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
        Actually, when you have a large, economically undeserved population and a Presidential candidate is openly hostile to said economically undeserved group you have a recipe for violent clashes that has nothing to do with whatever acceptable behavior is.
        I assume that you mean undeRserved. Otherwise I assume you are saying that Trump protesters are people who didn't earn their money. Which is something that I would say, semi-facetiously, but is uncharacteristic of you.

Also, Trump's voting base is largely disenfranchised blue collar workers so the candidate you mention can't possibly be Trump.
        Last edited by Denarius; 03 Jun 2016, 12:34.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

But, what's really amazing how the older generation, like my father or grandmother how I hear things that outright shock me like how things were better in colored neighborhoods or referring to black people as negro or nigger, all quite openly. I was most definitely not raised like that. We really need to do something about that older generation and their 1950's values.
          I hear plenty of racism from teenagers/young adults, too. It's sad how that stuff continues on. It shocked me as a child to be a racial target, too, since it isn't something I would ever have thought of! Now, the word "negro" was acceptable/preferred when I was a kid, and there have been several changes since then. I also remember hearing "cracker" but not so much "honky".
          sigpic

Comment

Trump supporters aren't disenfranchised, they are (at best) disenchanted and (more often in my observational experience) ignorant. And by ignorant, I don't mean they are stupid, but poorly educated. Also generally overly religious, but not necessarily church-going, and often nationalistic to the brink of jingoism. And that is without taking account of the coded language about women and minorities.
            Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jun 2016, 13:12.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post

Who loves your liver baby...
              And I'M the one with the strange mind? :lol:
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Trump supporters aren't disenfranchised,
                Right. Their jobs were outsourced overseas because they were ignorant and poorly educated, and not because of corporate interest. It's not like corporate exploitation of migrant workers has negatively affected the working class. They're just racist and ignorant.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                  Right. Their jobs were outsourced overseas because they were ignorant and poorly educated, and not because of corporate interest. It's not like corporate exploitation of migrant workers has negatively affected the working class. They're just racist and ignorant.
                  to deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity; especially : to deprive of the right to vote… See the full definition
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

To deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity
                    Exactly. Corporate interests have hijacked the GOP, undermining workers' rights and making their votes worthless.

The adjective disenfranchised describes a person or group of people who are stripped of their power.
                    Last edited by Denarius; 03 Jun 2016, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      Exactly. Corporate interests have hijacked the GOP, undermining workers' rights and making their votes worthless.

The adjective disenfranchised describes a person or group of people who are stripped of their power.
                      That's their own fault for voting for them.

At least they can vote..unlike work, voting is an enumerated actual right, Constitution-wise (and what disenfranchised generally refers to historically*). They created this for themselves...they re the ones that supported deregulation, union busting, etc. Don't complain that your jobs moved to China when you bought half the stuff in your home there. Middle and lower class Americans sent jobs overseas from their consumptive habits far before trade agreements did. And the guy they are supporting rode that pony to town and back.

Besides, many of these are the same people that DON'T think working is a right and that people with cruddy jobs should go get a better one since they grow on trees. By their own logic, it's their own fault.

*you aren't disenfranchised because you have a smaller share of the voting population because voting rights have been expanded...no matter what some people like to think
                      Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jun 2016, 14:02.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        they re the ones that supported deregulation, union busting, etc.
                        No they're not. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...publicans.html

Comment

If they voted Republican, they absolutely did. http://web.utk.edu/~nkelly/papers/in...y_Preprint.pdf
                          Last edited by thalassa; 03 Jun 2016, 14:10.
                          sigpic

Comment

Interesting, then, that they now support a candidate who is considerably anti-Union and anti-regulation.

Comment

You don't need to tell me that the Republican party is full of corporatists who don't actually represent the interests of workers. That's what my link was about. That's the point.

considerably anti-Union
                              http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/8/donald-trump-i-have-tremendous-support-within-unio/

and anti-regulation
                              That is especially ridiculous. http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Free_Trade.htm

Comment

First of all, free trade isn't free of regulation, closed trade can have less necessity for regulations plural (through the breadth of them is often more sweeping), and regulations exist for far more than trade, period.

Also, my grandma didn't lose her job because it went to China and Mexico, she lost it because people wanted cheap, disposable goods (made by nigh slave labor) over higher quality American-made goods (made by men and women paid a living wage, thanks to unions and worker protections). Also because American bought into the racket of the stock market in unprecedented numbers (which is really just legalized gambling over corporate reputation and worth these days, and not actually an investment in corporate ownership).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X