Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Terrorism in Orlando kills 20

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    America may not always be the true land of the free,and home to equality..BUT it is a damn site better here than in other countries. Unless you have visited other less progressive countries you have no idea how good we have it here. I see how screwed up things can be,but good things have also happened. Glass half full,or half empty,at least we have glass to empty or fill.
    I've never liked this logic. It reminds me of a saying we have in Alabama: Well, at least we ain't Mississippi. Sure, it could be worse but it has little to do with whatever the issue is and generally is an apathetic response to an attempt at positive change. And when it comes to mass shootings and gun violence we aren't ranked very high in the safety category among anybody.
    - - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    T

Really? Are you sure?
    Unless 911 is the new ISIS pledge line.
    Last edited by ThePaganMafia; 14 Jun 2016, 11:48.

Comment

So,fix the whole country...make people not hate each other,make sure everyone has enough to eat,and can get higher education so they can live a decent life. Teach male children they can't just rape women,and everyone is equal and entitled to their share of the pie. Just keep saying,give peace a chance,and Imagine how much better the world and the US can be.

- - - Updated - - -

I will admit,I have no real idea just why this guy did what he did,but as Duce said F'd up is F'd up period.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
        I've never liked this logic. It reminds me of a saying we have in Alabama: Well, at least we ain't Mississippi. Sure, it could be worse but it has little to do with whatever the issue is and generally is an apathetic response to an attempt at positive change. And when it comes to mass shootings and gun violence we aren't ranked very high in the safety category among anybody.
        Same. Germany does it all the time, and although we have it pretty good here, we also majorly fail in some areas. There's always room for improvement.

Personally, I can think of around 30 countries I'd prefer to live in over the US, but I'm sure I can find just as many that I'd find worse. When it comes to this sort of thing, something is going wrong, and I think it needs to get fixed. This doesn't happen in other places to anywhere near the same extent. And no, we're not naturally more peaceful or less multicultural (seriously, go to Vancouver or Toronto or London if you think that).
        Last edited by DanieMarie; 14 Jun 2016, 12:01.

Comment

I think we should stop looking for the 'reason' why he killed these people. I mean is there any valid reason other than they were like hostile aliens coming for us? No. It doesn't matter the reason. Because there are about 5 different groups we want to protest and call the bad guys. Humans are bad. I don't care why he did it. We still will be a homophobic country. We still will be a let's hide domestic battery country. We still will be a let the rapists off if the woman was to blame for her extra high heel. We still will be a country that will hate Islam and Atheists and that particular style of Christianity that isn't your Christianity. The reasons will mean absolutely nothing. Except on which symbol to change our fb profile pic to.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            I think we should stop looking for the 'reason' why he killed these people. I mean is there any valid reason other than they were like hostile aliens coming for us? No. It doesn't matter the reason. Because there are about 5 different groups we want to protest and call the bad guys. Humans are bad. I don't care why he did it. We still will be a homophobic country. We still will be a let's hide domestic battery country. We still will be a let the rapists off if the woman was to blame for her extra high heel. We still will be a country that will hate Islam and Atheists and that particular style of Christianity that isn't your Christianity. The reasons will mean absolutely nothing. Except on which symbol to change our fb profile pic to.
            I agree for the most part. His particular reason won't be the next one's reason. However, we could learn from history and get tougher on assault crimes, as I've said repeatedly. But we won't because the poor misunderstood bad guy blah blah blah.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I don't think that it's helpful to look into the reason this particular guy killed these particular people, but I think it *is* worth looking into the reasons why the US has so many more mass killings than the rest of the developed world.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                why the US has so many more mass killings than the rest of the developed world.
                Adjusted by proportion, that doesn't really hold up. We've had this discussion, it's also disingenuous to compare the US as a whole to pretty much any other country. We also look pretty good compared to Russia, on a murder to murder basis, which is one of the few developed nations that actually does directly compare to the US.

I still can't find any data about China though.
                Last edited by Denarius; 14 Jun 2016, 13:45.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'm sorry but this whole story is so confusing. Why was the gunman using the gay app on his phone anyway?

Comment

If we gots to explain BMH,we gonna need diagrams and pictures,and some of the words will be rated adults only...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      I don't think that it's helpful to look into the reason this particular guy killed these particular people, but I think it *is* worth looking into the reasons why the US has so many more mass killings than the rest of the developed world.
                      Freedom. Murica and all that crap. You give freedom to everyone that means you give freedom to everyone

We can't pick and choose. I mean we could. But then we'd be Hitlers.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This just about tops the republican mind set,ignore everything that are facts,and go with your really stupid vision of the world from inside the republican bubble.

Story here.

Asked on Tuesday afternoon whether the massacre of 49 people at an Orlando gay nightclub changes his opposition to a pro-LGBT bill, House Rules Committee chairman Pete Sessions (R-TX) denied the venue had anything to do with the gay community whatsoever. “It was a young person’s nightclub, I’m told. And there were some [LGBT people] there, but it was mostly Latinos,” told reporters, according to National Journal.

This guy needs to be dropped right in the middle of the REAL America,to get a really good tune up....

- - - Updated - - -

And then the GOP thinks THIS will work.

There appears to be a push in Republican circles this week to exploit the bloodshed in Orlando to woo LGBT voters. The pitch, in effect, is ugly but straightforward: a Muslim killed 49 people in a gay nightclub; Republicans are anti-Muslim; therefore LGBT voters should support Republicans.

If GOP officials seriously expect this strategy to work, they’re going to be disappointed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it kind of explains why no republicans can figure out why the whole mob is streaking towards that bottomless pit ahead...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I watched some of the speeches/coverage yesterday/ day before. The most valid and moving part was Anderson Cooper reading the names of the deceased. (I think this is a personal "trigger" thing for me because of the annual reading of the names from 9/11 where I totally lose it when they get to those I knew). And the ex-wife was hard to watch. She knew this guy was trouble, and got away from him, knowing but unable to prove that some vague "something" was seriously going on with him. Another trigger I guess, because it was the same for me. About a year after my divorce, my ex went on a rampage, holding people hostage, etc. No one was killed but he did 7 or 8 years for having an illegal gun and all the rest of it. And I knew he would do something someday, but of course had no idea what, nor had anything substantial to base that knowledge on, and everyone ignored me anyway. So I feel for her, and the survivors of the shooting.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Freedom. Murica and all that crap. You give freedom to everyone that means you give freedom to everyone

We can't pick and choose. I mean we could. But then we'd be Hitlers.
                            Sorry, but the US isn't the only free country in the world.

Comment

Not really sure Duce attacked any other country..and yes we have way to many mass killings...Hopefully we do not open any detention camps,as that has a bad history,with the Japanese Americans that happened too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if I veered off topic for a second there.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Here's another thing to ponder. The media made a big deal of the shooter's father saying he'll never forgive him. What if we're all reading that statement wrong. What if the thing he'll never forgive him for is being Gay? Then trying to find some sort of closure or acceptance he strikes at what his father will never forgive him for? Granted just speculation and mental musing on my part but it is something that crossed my mind.

Doesn't justify or condone what the shooter did in anyway so please don't even think I'm suggesting that.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X