X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Evolution Thread

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey I just thought of something. About by millions years from now, do you think that human beings will evolved into aliens?

Do you mean that in a million (or other unspecified time range) years we will look like the stereotype of what we imagine aliens to look like?

Emaciated giant heads with big eyeballs, like these guys (scroll down a bit for pic)?

Because human beings can't evolve into aliens. Alien, by its very definition, is a term that simply means something that is foreign--to another region, culture, country, or (in this case), planet. Its a term of relevance. If we go to Mars, we are technically aliens to Mars. A human can't become an alien by evolution, a human becomes an alien by travel. It we are talking interplanetary aliens, then we need space flight technology, not biological evolution.

If you are asking if we can evolve giant heads and sort of gender neutral androgeny, etc....that is something else. Evolution is just the shift of genes in a population. Sure, we probably could if there was something that selected for those traits (or against them) in our environment OR if something in our environment selected for or against a trait that "carried over" another trait with it--often sets of genes, even seemingly unrelated ones, are connected and when one is changed, so is another.

But then again, maybe not--a head that big would make pregnancy and childbirth more difficult, and would probably require other changes to the body; also carrying a head that big around would likely require differences in body structure.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Ok I understand now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't read the whole post. What I mean is that human beings can evolved to intergalactic space aliens.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't read the whole post. What I mean is that human beings can evolved to intergalactic space aliens.

Comment

So I guess that human beings are the final evolution from apes, right?

Comment

So I guess that human beings are the final evolution from apes, right?
          Well, no.

We are the most recent organism descended from a common ancestor with other apes, and we are still evolving (as are other species).

1) We are members of the superfamily of organisms called Hominoidea, which includes the family of lesser apes (Hylobatidae) and the family of greater apes (Hominidae). Humans (Homo sapiens), chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas are all great apes.
          2) We did not evolve from any of these species. We evolved from a common ancestor. If you compare this to a family, you were not born from your brother, you and your brother share a mother; you were not born from your cousin, you and your cousin share a grandparent, etc. Humans and chimpanzees last shared a common ancestor (around 4 million years ago), that common ancestor last shared a common ancestor with modern gorillas around 10 million years ago.
          3) There is no "end game" in evolution. The "final evolution" of anything is just whatever is here of any particular species, and over time that too will evolve. Evolution is just the change in genes in a population over time.
          4) Evolution is not progressive. Its not leading "up to" something. Evolution, as a process, is unconscious--it is purely a matter of what genes get passed on to the next generation in a population. Which genes get passed on are a matter of random chance and environmental pressure, as well as other selection pressures (like mate preferences).
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

If mankind establishes and maintains a community on the moon, Mars or other planet, those people could evolve separately from the humans on Earth but they could never really be aliens.

If life on earth came from outer space we could be aliens...
            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Well, no.

We are the most recent organism descended from a common ancestor with other apes, and we are still evolving (as are other species).

1) We are members of the superfamily of organisms called Hominoidea, which includes the family of lesser apes (Hylobatidae) and the family of greater apes (Hominidae). Humans (Homo sapiens), chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas are all great apes.
              2) We did not evolve from any of these species. We evolved from a common ancestor. If you compare this to a family, you were not born from your brother, you and your brother share a mother; you were not born from your cousin, you and your cousin share a grandparent, etc. Humans and chimpanzees last shared a common ancestor (around 4 million years ago), that common ancestor last shared a common ancestor with modern gorillas around 10 million years ago.
              3) There is no "end game" in evolution. The "final evolution" of anything is just whatever is here of any particular species, and over time that too will evolve. Evolution is just the change in genes in a population over time.
              4) Evolution is not progressive. Its not leading "up to" something. Evolution, as a process, is unconscious--it is purely a matter of what genes get passed on to the next generation in a population. Which genes get passed on are a matter of random chance and environmental pressure, as well as other selection pressures (like mate preferences).
              Wait I'm confused. We not come from apes but we have common ancestor with other apes? I really don't get it.

Comment

You wear a pair of pants.
                The ape wears a pair of pants.
                Inside the genes/jeans are similiar candy. Not the same candy, but similar candy.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Blink,blink!,blink!!...so that's how the whole genes thing works...wow,and now I am informed...depends if you wear Levi's or Wrangler,or even Lee Jeans...and the kind of CANDY(me thinks Duce has candy on her mind)
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wait I'm confused. We not come from apes but we have common ancestor with other apes? I really don't get it.
                    Apes are a separate currently existing group of species from humanity descended from not-ape-anscestor (Thal may know the name of the ancestor, I don't). Humans are descended from aforementioned not-ape-ancestor. Some of not-ape-ancestor's descendents became human, some became apes. TL;DR, Apes are cousins, not parents.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      TL;DR, Apes are cousins, not parents.
                      I dunno. Sometimes those 'cousins' look awfully close to each other.

Comment

Ok. That's make sense.

Comment

Have any of you watched the X-Files reboot that had it's finale last night? It was about how alien DNA was put in smallpox vaccine years ago to make us all susceptible to viral warfare, etc., so the elite could thin out the population.
                          Hey, anything's possible.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            Have any of you watched the X-Files reboot that had it's finale last night? It was about how alien DNA was put in smallpox vaccine years ago to make us all susceptible to viral warfare, etc., so the elite could thin out the population.
                            Hey, anything's possible.
                            I remember the original episode! We all had ourselves checking that small circle on our arms.
                            *go on. check. I'll wait here.

*sits and flips through 'I believe' today magazine.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me I completely forgot to watch the last episode. gdi

Anywhere online I can watch it?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                                Thanks for reminding me I completely forgot to watch the last episode. gdi

Anywhere online I can watch it?
                                Full Episodes, Clips and the latest information about all of your favorite FOX shows.
                                sigpic
                                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                                X