X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    Well now i'm finished with Stalingrad and now i'm reading Army of Evil. Army of Evil is about the SS, which is Hitler's Army. Yes, I like reading about World War II. I'm a bit crazy.
    On a related note, this is on my audio book holds:
    The Nazis and the psychiatrist.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
      Well now i'm finished with Stalingrad and now i'm reading Army of Evil. Army of Evil is about the SS, which is Hitler's Army. Yes, I like reading about World War II. I'm a bit crazy.
      Can I make a recommendation?

Try The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust, by Heather Pringle

It's a very good look at the kind of "scholarship" engaged in by Himmler & company used to support the idea of a "master race."

It's also a very good look at what happens when scientific truth is sacrificed to achieve a political end.

I enjoyed this book a lot.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Any favorite poetry books? These days I'm much more interested in things I can read quickly and then dwell upon later, savoring the phrases and imagery so that the piece makes more sense the more I read it. I don't have much time to read/ don't make much time to read since I'm usually tired. However, I am have time galore to PONDER while at work, so poetry works nicely for me.

William Blake, Leonard Cohen, Lewis Carroll, Pablo Neruda, Rod McKuen.

I'd like to know what you poetry you guys read!
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Poetry. Trying reading Anis Nin's The House of Incest. Not poetry per say. But it's a dream like short read that I love reading over and over again. The words are just like pearls on my tongue.

Well I started to listen to Zone One by Colson Whitehead. A sarcastic tale of the post zombie apocalypse. Too damned wordy. Trying to draw out a small plot with too long descriptive words. As if they just went to Word and the dictionary and went to town making each sentence 3 times longer.
          From Amazon review:
          That said, Whitehead is this book's worst enemy. He takes every opportunity to show off his inventiveness, preen his considerable literary plumage and display his intimate acquaintance with the thesaurus. In playing with the narrative thread and timeline, sometimes just because he can, he adds unnecessary stress to what is not a terribly sturdy plot in the first place. Perhaps as he matures, he will write to make the story the thing instead of himself. If this book had 35% less exhibitionism and 30% more plot, it could have been a real showpiece. Instead, it is a pleasant, if sometimes tedious diversion written by an obviously talented, but all-too-self-indulgent author.
          So I'm going back to something different. Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' narrated by none other than herself! I'm sure it will be an emotional listen.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Can I make a recommendation?

Try The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust, by Heather Pringle

It's a very good look at the kind of "scholarship" engaged in by Himmler & company used to support the idea of a "master race."

It's also a very good look at what happens when scientific truth is sacrificed to achieve a political end.

I enjoyed this book a lot.
            Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into it.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I finished Army of Evil and now I am reading Inferno by Max Hastings (I think that is the author). It's about War World II. Yeah i'm crazy about War World II.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Beloved tanked 1 chapter in. Too slow. So I mixed things up. Went to Rabid. A true chronicle of Rabies from the beginning. Very interesting read that veered off to a place I hadn't thought about. Medical and entertainment all combined in one book. Now reading Shelter Island!

Comment

Way of the Shadow... pretty interesting.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Reminiscing with my old friend, William Blake. It's just a tiny book, probably not even 1/3 of his works, but it seems to have all my favorites.

Comment

Finished up Shelter Island. Which was narrated with such life, I felt I was watching a play. Amazing.

Finally one of my books on my wishlist became available. Lolita. Now I've read the book. Seen both versions of the movie. Love love LOVE the psychology behind the book. But the audiobook? Omg. It's narrated by...by...by...Jeremy Irons! (who starred in the remake). His voice is like buttah! I totally lucked out.

Comment

I really want to get Night by Ely Weisel (I think that's right) for my ereader... but I can't see paying that much for such a small book. Last time I checked, it was $10+ It's amazing and all, but still...

ETA: Elie Wiesel... knew I wasn't spelling that right.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                          I really want to get Night by Ely Weisel (I think that's right) for my ereader... but I can't see paying that much for such a small book. Last time I checked, it was $10+ It's amazing and all, but still...

ETA: Elie Wiesel... knew I wasn't spelling that right.
                          It's a great read but have your handkerchief ready. You might check Ebay, thrift stores, used book stores, etc to find cheaper copies. I bought "The Scarlet Letter" for a nickel at a thrift store. Unabridged. Talk about a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                            It's a great read but have your handkerchief ready. You might check Ebay, thrift stores, used book stores, etc to find cheaper copies. I bought "The Scarlet Letter" for a nickel at a thrift store. Unabridged. Talk about a steal.
                            I wish there were thrift stores for an ereader.... or a place I could take in my paperbacks and they'd exchange them for a digital copy (or at least give me a significant discount.) I want it on my ereader so I can pick it up whenever I feel like it and have something else to read if I decide I'm done with it. It's one of those books I feel like reading every now and then, but change my mind pretty often too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                              I wish there were thrift stores for an ereader.... or a place I could take in my paperbacks and they'd exchange them for a digital copy (or at least give me a significant discount.) I want it on my ereader so I can pick it up whenever I feel like it and have something else to read if I decide I'm done with it. It's one of those books I feel like reading every now and then, but change my mind pretty often too.
                              Oh DUH, get your head in the game Bjorn. Mah bad >_>

They really SHOULD have some things in the public domain as well. I mean, I can listen to all of Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto read by some tart on Librivox for FREE but you can't read one of the most powerful holocaust stories ever penned? Urf. Does that money go to something worthwhile or do the providers just pocket it?

Comment

I devoured Doctor Sleep by Stephen King over Halloween weekend... and I'm about to get my next fix of The Walking Dead comic. I know the show doesn't follow the comic exactly, but I read up to approximately where each season leaves off. It's cool for me to see the parallels and diversions. Plus, the comic is pretty good in its own right.
                                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X