X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
    Ahh, I read them out of order since I was a nerd and wanted to read the original first. I didn't know it at the time either, that he went back and wrote the Homeland trilogy after Drizzt was met with such affection from his fans.

I LOVE Streams of Silver. It is seriously SO GOOD.
    I've only read the one Salvatore book, and it was the end of a trilogy I didn't read the rest of(Servant of the Shard). I still liked it, I'm just overwhelmed by starting the rest of them because there's SO MANY and I have so little time to read, especially now.

Comment

Did I already post that I'm reading the Tawny Man trilogy now? I finished the Farseer Trilogy. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
        I've only read the one Salvatore book, and it was the end of a trilogy I didn't read the rest of(Servant of the Shard). I still liked it, I'm just overwhelmed by starting the rest of them because there's SO MANY and I have so little time to read, especially now.
        I started with the Icewind Dale trilogy, which is excellent on its own. The rest of the books are all about Drizzt (and Entreri) and that's where I must agree with ThorsSon -- excellent writing, top notch fantasy, but I'm a little sick of Drizzt despite his awesome journey.
        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I started with the Icewind Dale trilogy, which is excellent on its own. The rest of the books are all about Drizzt (and Entreri) and that's where I must agree with ThorsSon -- excellent writing, top notch fantasy, but I'm a little sick of Drizzt despite his awesome journey.
          'twas MaskedOne that said he was tired of Drizzt. I'm only 4 books, into the series, so I haven't grown tired of him yet... it's only been a week, after all.
          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Not all Drizzt books are equal but you should have a while to go before he gets old TS. I've just been through most of the series pre-2008. I lost interest in most FR fiction when WotC inflicted the Spellplague and Drizzt specifically around the Obould trilogy when he was broken of from the Companions of the Hall.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
              'twas MaskedOne that said he was tired of Drizzt. I'm only 4 books, into the series, so I haven't grown tired of him yet... it's only been a week, after all.
              Ack, my bad. I am fired now.

Comment

Ack, my bad. I am fired now.
                Why would you be fired? That implies you get to escape. I have enough people trying to escape having their souls and sanity farmed. I'm not interested in more.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Why would you be fired? That implies you get to escape. I have enough people trying to escape having their souls and sanity farmed. I'm not interested in more.
                  ACK, I'M IN PRISON :O

-clings to the bars and looks sadly out-

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                    Did I already post that I'm reading the Tawny Man trilogy now? I finished the Farseer Trilogy. Good stuff.
                    Yup and I'm in agreement, they are good books.

I finished Allegiant. I was not happy. Will not say more don't want to spoil it for those who are reading it.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                      Yup and I'm in agreement, they are good books.

I finished Allegiant. I was not happy. Will not say more don't want to spoil it for those who are reading it.
                      I thought Divergent was pretty dumb. I can't imagine how dumb it gets later.

Comment

I've been reading PF lately...and I must say from action, to emotion, ranting anger, to sentimental stuffs, to full blown joy....it's all present...very good variety, ya never get bored!! So far I love the book

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Not all Drizzt books are equal but you should have a while to go before he gets old TS. I've just been through most of the series pre-2008. I lost interest in most FR fiction when WotC inflicted the Spellplague and Drizzt specifically around the Obould trilogy when he was broken of from the Companions of the Hall.
                          Strangely enough I got tired of Drizzt at that point too. Too me it felt like the character was just getting milked, that the author had lost interest and/or inspiration and was only writing for the money.

Do not mention the Spellplague. Ugh. I read two novels that took place post-Spellplague without having read the new FR rule book and I was just: "Wtf happened here! Would someone tell what is going on, please?" At the end of the second novel I finally borrowed the FR rule book from a friend and after reading it decided I now knew far too much and I really wasn't going back to that setting in its 4e version.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                          I've been reading PF lately...and I must say from action, to emotion, ranting anger, to sentimental stuffs, to full blown joy....it's all present...very good variety, ya never get bored!! So far I love the book
                          What's PF?
                          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                            What's PF?

Lol, I think she means us
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              Lol, I think she means us
                              PF - Pagan Forum
                              And I am talkin about you guys haha

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                                PF - Pagan Forum
                                And I am talkin about you guys haha
                                Ah, I see. The Never Ending Story in other words. Only with more snark.
                                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Working...
                                X