This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Didn't read Of Love and Evil yet. I had a book come in off a waiting list. The 33 Men. The story of the 33 Chiliean miners stuck in the mine for 14 weeks. A quick read. I did it in about a day and a half. Maybe 7 hours. I couldn't stop listening to it. It was like CNN in my headphones. Detailed, thorough, human interest story. I had NO idea what went on behind the scenes!

Next: The Grifters!

It's January 20 and I've busted through 4 books already!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Ok, finished The Grifters. Fun, quick witty read. And dark too. I loved the movie so I thought the book will be good. And it was! A film noir done with a very good narrator. Made the book come to life for me.

I'm back into Of Love and Evil by Anne Rice. 20 minutes in and I was already getting teary eyed. Damn her!

Comment

Just started in on The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I'm back into Of Love and Evil by Anne Rice. 20 minutes in and I was already getting teary eyed. Damn her!
        If you haven't read it already, Rice's Cry to Heaven was amazeballs!
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post

If you haven't read it already, Rice's Cry to Heaven was amazeballs!
          OMG Yes! I loved that book.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            I like that book. I had my Advanced Placement students read it for summer reading.

Man, were they ever pissed! A lot of knee jerk Christians here in hillbilly land.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I like that book. I had my Advanced Placement students read it for summer reading.

Man, were they ever pissed! A lot of knee jerk Christians here in hillbilly land.
              I felt the same way about having to read The Pilgrim's Progress my sophomore year, lol. And we were in California! The nerve of those liberals!
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm working through Christopher Penczak's Inner Temple of Witchcraft and T Thorn Coyle's Evolutionary Witchcraft. Also reading To Light a Sacred Flame and To Stir a Magick Cauldron by Silver Ravenwolf along with dipping into a few books on chakras.

Comment

Right now I'm reading The Secret Doctrine of the Kabbalah by Leonora Leet, and The Living Goddessess by Marija Gimbutas.

Comment

Weather Wisdom by Albert Lee

Comment

Last read World War I, now am reading Neptune's Inferno.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Anyone got any ideas for a human rights type memoir? Looking for something new and that sounds up my alley about now
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I had thought about putting Stephen King away for a while, but then couldn't decide what to read next so I caved and started on SK's "Secret Garden, Secret Window."
                          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                            I had thought about putting Stephen King away for a while, but then couldn't decide what to read next so I caved and started on SK's "Secret Garden, Secret Window."
                            I used to like King's stuff but then so much of it seemed to take a major change in writing style. I think the last thing I enjoyed by him was Gerald's Game though parts of the Gunfighter series were good. Wonder if you see a difference in his older works compared to newer things. Usually right around the point where he wrote Four Seasons is where it seemed to really change.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              I used to like King's stuff but then so much of it seemed to take a major change in writing style. I think the last thing I enjoyed by him was Gerald's Game though parts of the Gunfighter series were good. Wonder if you see a difference in his older works compared to newer things. Usually right around the point where he wrote Four Seasons is where it seemed to really change.
                              You've just named a bunch of his works I'd never heard of before, haha. I haven't read even half of what he's done, but I have read various books from Carrie to Doctor Sleep. The latter was certainly a tad different from his earlier stuff, but I still found D.S. an enjoyable read.
                              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

You might like EYES OF THE DRAGON as it is not his typical horror stuff but a fantasy novel he wrote for his daughter. The Richard Bachman books, THE RUNNINGMAN and THINNER comes to mind, that he wrote under the pen name of Richard Bachman are a little different from his usual fare as well. He also co-authored one one with Peter Straub that was sort of an interesting read in that King wrote all the other worldly stuff while Straub wrote the real world stuff supposedly. That book was titled The Talisman.

- - - Updated - - -

While I think about it the Gunslinger books are actually the Dark Tower series of books or novelettes.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X