This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

*sigh. Anne Rice audiobook on hold for the time being. I've decided to listen to The Road. And I know I'm going to just continue to be depressed. But I just Can't NOT listen to it. It's beautiful. In the way when you pick a rose and realize you've killed it beautiful.

I'm all sorts of dour.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      You might like EYES OF THE DRAGON as it is not his typical horror stuff but a fantasy novel he wrote for his daughter. The Richard Bachman books, THE RUNNINGMAN and THINNER comes to mind, that he wrote under the pen name of Richard Bachman are a little different from his usual fare as well. He also co-authored one one with Peter Straub that was sort of an interesting read in that King wrote all the other worldly stuff while Straub wrote the real world stuff supposedly. That book was titled The Talisman.

- - - Updated - - -

While I think about it the Gunslinger books are actually the Dark Tower series of books or novelettes.
      I'm actually a fan of supernatural horror, but my tastes branch out into pretty much anything that is meant to make us uncomfortable by visiting the reality of the dark side of humanity's psyche. I'm not usually into fantasy, but it would be very interesting to see Mr. King's take on it. In fact, my favorite of his titles so far is The Green Mile, which is not a horror.

I've had a copy of The Talisman for over ten years, started in on it a couple years ago but never went on. It just wasn't time yet, but its time will come.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

The green mile borders on horror I think when you consider some of the things that happen. Yet it's not a traditional horror but one of those long life and what you must endure as everyone and thing about you dies. Sort of would you want to live or have the power to heal at a touch?
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I guess I think of it more as a "psycho-supernatural thriller," haha.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

I can see parts of it as that easily. What is done to the one deputy is definitley psycho and supernatural.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I finished The Road. Bawled my eyes out...again. I should know better! Currently on the last hour of Of Love and Evil by Anne Rice. Then I move right into Stephen King's Salem's Lot. All this talk of him. I thought I'd go back to my high school days. Still waiting for IT to become available. I don't know why I'd do that to myself. It scared the pants off of me in school!

My 2014 reading list so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I finished The Road. Bawled my eyes out...again. I should know better! Currently on the last hour of Of Love and Evil by Anne Rice. Then I move right into Stephen King's Salem's Lot. All this talk of him. I thought I'd go back to my high school days. Still waiting for IT to become available. I don't know why I'd do that to myself. It scared the pants off of me in school!

My 2014 reading list so far!
                You know, now that I think of it, not a lot of books have made me cry, but 50% of the ones I can recall that did were from Mr. King - The Green Mile made me weep (and so did the movie, of course - "He killed them with they love." :'( ), as did The Langoliers (all I've got to say about that one is: Dinah and Mr. Toomy). Other than those, only Of Mice and Men and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows moved me in that way. (Spoiler Alert) When I first got to the part where Dobby gets killed, I think I cried for an hour or two.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Omg. Scratch that next book I'm reading. 12 Years a Slave finally became available on audiobook! So I'm all up in that.

Comment

I'm rereading New Amsterdam by Elizabeth Bear. I read this book a few years ago but then loaned it to a friend who lost it after her divorce. She had to move out of her house and could not find it afterwords. I just got another used copy of it on Amazon.com. I like it and am thinking of getting the other three books in the series.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I've been reading The Gods Are Thirsty by Tanith Lee. It's set during the French Revolution, and the main character is Camille DesMoulins. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it's interesting even though I already know a decent bit of the history. The atmosphere Lee evokes reminds me a lot of some of her other work, especially the Secret Books of Paradys, but with novel characters and situations. I also feel that she has a good understanding of the events, language, and culture of the period.
                      OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                      The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                      Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

I finished reading Neptune's Inferno and am reading Ship of Ghosts. The book is by the same author who wrote Neptune's Inferno.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

just finished Osage: Two Diamonds by Michael Bunker... it is a retelling of Vonnegutt's Cat's Cradle... and VERY much worth reading.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson on audiobook
                          The Barkeep by William Lashner on my Kindle
                          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

So I lied about what I was reading. Got caught up with The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Over 14 hours. Wordy. But it works in audiobook form. Compelling. And it turned into an interactive adventure. I found myself googling most of the objects and the art throughout the book. Well detailed. Included mystery, science, American history and occultism. Worth the lengthy listen.

And now onto another very lengthy audiobook. Patient Zero by Johnathan Maberry. About....ZOMBIES!!!

2014 Audiobook list

Comment

Oh Em Gee. I know I always say this. But Patient Zero was amazing! I'm going to read through Jon Maberry's books. Or er listen through!

And now? Stephen King's 'Cell'. People at a certain time all over hear a pulse through their cell while on it and they lose their ever loving zombie insane minds!

Comment

Finished Ship of Ghosts. Took me 6 days. It was a great book. I recommend it to anyone. I am now reading The Monuments Men. Really interesting so far.
                                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                                X