This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Finished the zombie anthology. Now listening to ROOTS! Gonna be here a while folks. It's 24 files and I'm on #9.

2014 audiobook list
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Finished The Library Policeman yesterday. It was a tad bit predictable and off-the-wall, but I still found it riveting. Next novella in Stephen King's "Four Past Midnight" collection: The Sun Dog.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Finished the fourth book of the Game of Thrones set (Feast of Crows). Think I'm going to take a break before diving into the 5th book of 1000 page weirdness...

It's a good story but.. man, I don't have the down time for this! 0.0

At least the 4th book read easier (and faster, less dense) than the first three.

Comment

So I finally finished Dan Brown's Inferno. I had to put it down and then pick it up a week later. (Still listening to Roots). But am also listening to Clive Barker's The History of The Devil. It's more of a serial drama listen. Quite witty. The Devil gets his day in court because he wants to go back to Heaven.

Comment

Finished "Dance with Dragons' by George R.R. Martin and started "The memory keeper's daughter" by Kim Edwards.

Comment

So I finished listening to this quick 5 hour audiobook by Clive Barker called The History of the Devil. It was more a audio radio drama done for Sy Fi channel. So it was pretty cool. And funny. I'm stiiiiiiiiil listening to Roots. But I am also listening to a vampire anthology called Bloodsuckers: The Vampire Archives vol 1. So a drift from zombies to the vamps.

Comment

I'm currently (actively) reading "God is Not One" by Stephen Prothero. I admit I use it mostly as a sort of sleep aid, but there are interesting things I had not heard before presented in it.

Books I started reading and really should finish:
                "Inheritance" of the Eragon series
                "Absence of Mind"
                Title escapes me but it's on spirituality and science and where they agree and disagree.

Comment

So the anthology on vamps sucked. I only got through about the first story. It was all Victorian type vamps and I didn't like the narrator. So I chucked it.
                  Buuuuuut...I finally got my hands on an audiobook that came out last year. Forgot all about it. And lo and behold! It popped up again. It's called The Good nurse. A true story of a nurse serial killer. It's awesome!

Comment

Finished up Good nurse. Woah. Amazing true story! Seriously how hospitals an get away with...well murder is friggin scary.

Now going to start the audiobook Catch me if you can.

2014 audiobook list

Comment

Well, being sick has allowed me to sit on my bum and do nothing but read, cause thats the only thing that doesnt seem to take effort to do, and I managed to almost completely finish Lauren Destefano's Chemical Garden Trilogy.

Its been.....interesting to say the least. Took a chance on it cause the whole series was $9 and 2 out of the 3 were hardback edition. Set it a mildly post apocalyptic world where the rest of the planet minus the US is basically either under water or inhabitable from the fall out from wars. Generation 0 decides to cure the human race of all major illnesses/defects (cancer, autism, downs syndrome, stuff like that-basic cold is still around, but not as deadly unless you're living in ultra crap conditions) and thinks "yay, we're saved". Generation 1 seems to be okay. Generation 2 however, girls start dying at age 20, and guys start dying at age 25. No real discernible reason, just....hey, there was a virus hidden in the cure that they didnt anticipate, and sucks to be you.

Cue main character (Rhine)-she's one of the ones living in sub par conditions, and has to deal with groups called Gatherer's who round up girls to be used as brides (yes, plural) for the wealthy. Her new father in law is a creep doctor/scientist who no one trusts and is creepy beyond belief. Rhine basically plots to escape, and the series follows her around while you try to figure out whats going on with finding a cure for the people dying.

Overall, its been better than I thought it would be considering none of the characters (except for the creepy father in law) are over the age of 20ish.
                      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                      sigpic

Comment

Whoa. Finished Catch me if you can. Amazing narration! The book was so fast paced and exciting!

I have decided to listen to 2 different audiobooks. Because one of them will cause me to need a break in the reading due to subject matter.

1 I have lived a thousand years by Livia Bitton-Jackson. Growing up a teenaged girl during the Holocaust.

2. Amp by Daniel Wilson. What happens between 'pure humans' and the 'amped' ones who have neural implants to help them become smarter by focusing in on beta waves .....or just cure your epilepsy. It's sort of a 'real' world version of X-Men cartoon show if you think about it.

Comment

Just finished 'Wages of Labour' by Karl Marx, and I am probably going to start 'Profits of Capital' by Karl Marx tomorrow. Outside of political readings I have almost finished 'Understanding Shinto' by C. Scott Littleton.

'Wages and Labour' was a very good read and, in my opinion, served to explain and depict its topic's economic features and criticisms very well and with accuracy. The only drawback is that some of things mentioned - like the sixteen hours' workday - are dated and the language can be properly confusing at times, but the core arguments still hold themselves as relevant.

'Understanding Shinto' served as a great introduction for me to the core concepts, beliefs and practices of Shinto. Even though it is a book that is meant to serve only as an introduction, I was pleased with how it respects the intelligence of its readers and is very informative. The book also served to help me realise how similar my spiritual beliefs were to Shinto.

Comment

Originally posted by LunarHarvest View Post
                            Just finished 'Wages of Labour' by Karl Marx, and I am probably going to start 'Profits of Capital' by Karl Marx tomorrow. Outside of political readings I have almost finished 'Understanding Shinto' by C. Scott Littleton.

'Wages and Labour' was a very good read and, in my opinion, served to explain and depict its topic's economic features and criticisms very well and with accuracy. The only drawback is that some of things mentioned - like the sixteen hours' workday - are dated and the language can be properly confusing at times, but the core arguments still hold themselves as relevant.

'Understanding Shinto' served as a great introduction for me to the core concepts, beliefs and practices of Shinto. Even though it is a book that is meant to serve only as an introduction, I was pleased with how it respects the intelligence of its readers and is very informative. The book also served to help me realise how similar my spiritual beliefs were to Shinto.
                            I've been meaning to read Marx for some time. The Communist Manifesto should really drop in on my reading list....
                            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Whoo! It was a big book. Over 700 pages. I don't suggest you read it unless you truly are a history buff. I'm now onto Hiroshima.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Finished I have lived a thousand years. Awesome book. Now reading *since it came up on my que* The Great Influenza epidemic of 1918. It first starts the first 5 hours about how medicine in this country started out. And how epidemics and vaccines work. Very interesting considering what's being talked about in the vaccination thread. First thing I found out was just how horrible the influenza was on your body. People literally turned blue from lack of oxygen in their blood. And when you touched the dead ones, they would leak all the fluid that was in their lungs. Just horrible. How can you say no to vaccines after reading this makes you a very strong human being. Not I. This book is giving me the heeby jeebies!

Comment

Working...
                                X