This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

So I finished up Sleepless by Charlie Huston. And now I'm listening to a new audiobook called Gemini Virus by Wil Mara. Another medical sci fi! What happens where there is a super bug and the whole world loses their sh*t! That's the only way I can say this.

My review of Sleepless
    Also it's my new book shelf site!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series because it is summer and I am an adult so I do what I want.
      I'm on The Prisoner of Azkaban now.

Comment

'A Witch Alone' by Marian Green and '78 Degrees of Wisdom' by Rachel Pollack

Comment

Anna Karenina (and loving it).

Just finished A Charming Crime by Tonya Kappes, which was awful. My deserved punishment for delving into the free ebooks section of Amazon again *sigh* I should know better by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
            I picked up a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein the other day. A short book, but so far it's a great 19th century read.

Frankenstein may be a short novel, but it's one of the very best ever written. I also highly recommend reading Milton's Paradise Lost before or with it. Shelley references Milton constantly. I just wish someone would do a movie version that actually follows the book - which even the movie called Mary Shelley's Frankenstein does not.

I'm reading a short biography of Albert Einstein. And I just finished The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch - a masterwork by a master writer.
            OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
            The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
            Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

The Fruitful Darkness by Roshi Joan Halifax.

Comment

Back to a Dance of Dragons. It's such a long book, I may not be done until the summer is over.

Comment

I started Burned Alive by Souad. I rather like it despite the supposed inconsistencies. It's in the school library though and even though I know I could read it all in a night I can't check it out since school ends so soon. So I'm stuck reading it in my study halls.
                  Circe

Comment

Finished up The Gemini Virus by Wil Mara. Go HERE for my review!

And now I just started tonight the audiobook The Colony by F.G. Cottam. Some weird ghost story about what happened on an island years ago etc etc. I heard good reviews on it, so I'm giving it a chance.

Comment

I took a break from my history book, Vietnam: A History, and read Animal Farm by George Orwell yesterday. Such a sad story in my opinion, but it teaches a lesson too.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Children of Dust, memoir of a Muslim man. Plain Secrets, an outsiders view of an Amish family. Pagan Prayer Beads, pretty self explanatory. Inner Temple of Witchcraft, somewhat self explanatory. Picking up bits and pieces from Dictionary of Demons. Oh, and Discipline and Dignity, a book about reviving the Buddhist order of nuns. Which is amazingly complex. I can't decide which one so I keep flipping between them.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I finished F.G Cottam's The Colony.

My scathing review can be found HERE

I'm now starting the audiobook Dead Run by Adam Mansbach. Some serious evil is going on at the border. And one man is gonna find out what it is! Dun dun duuuuun

Comment

One of my favorite science writers - Stephen Pinker, The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence has Declined.

Currently, we are living (despite what many people think) in the Golden Age of peace. On average, a person has less likelihood of meeting a violent end NOW, than at any time in history... unless you live in Washington, D.C., in which case you may as well just shoot yourself right now...

That's "on average." There are still very dangerous places to be, like war zones.

Anyway, Pinker is looking at data and exploring theories as to why A. Peace has broken out in much of the world, B. Why some places are still in a perpetual state of warfare, and C. Why some places have enjoyed some backsliding, and rebecome violent.

These are three interesting interrelated questions, and pretty meaningful, if you want to understand the world.

Warning: data heavy book, but also so nice bits of humor.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have a couple of books on the go at the moment the first is Celtic Heritage by Alwyn Rees and Brinley Rees, being honest I find it hard to follow at times, but Ill stick at it. The second is Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark, and I am finding that interesting as I am considering finding a course on it. I thought I would read up on it first to make sure it was the kind of thing I would like or not.
                              When life hands you lemons make lemonade and find someone else who life handed them vodka and have a party.

Comment

Awww yeah! Finished Dead Run by Adam Mansbach! Five stars all the way! You can read my review HERE if you so choose.

Now listening to Amped by Daniel H Wilson. It was on my reading list, but it got bumped off. So back to the Mutant story of amplified people too smart for the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X