This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

It really depends...in the car driving, especially with non-fiction, it doesn't bother me to listen to an audiobook.

Otherwise I like to read myself. We've gotten to the point though, where we only keep reference books or books we want to keep long-term, and then kids books, as physical books. Everything else is electronic--it saves tons of space.

(and right now I'm reading 3 books--Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms: Journeys into the disappearing religions of the Middle East, The Paper Magician (a new fantasy series by a newer author), and (a reread) Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire)
    Last edited by thalassa; 25 Oct 2014, 10:53.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I have never, ever listened to an audiobook. I struggle to even read e-books. There's just something about the feel of a book in your hands.

Comment

I am addicted to audiobooks. They are the perfect thing for my work commute. And perfect for in bed. Except don't listen to scary ones in the dark. I love the narrators. And I look for specific works of my fave. I listen so much I can spot who the narrator is. When I was very small, my father and I would listen to old radio shows on the am stations. I guess that comfort stays with me when I listen. Reminds me of those days before he passed.

Well...I finished up Joe McKinney's short audiobook called Quarantined. Think flu virus gone steroid! You can read my review here called: We really don't need Texas, now do we?

And I am currently listening to a very weird 1970's story called Nightwing by Martin Cruz Smith. It takes places on a Native American reservation. Vampire bats (the actual species) are spreading their 'plague' (something like rabies via their fleas) to the population. And a bunch of Native American mythologies added in. It's so far one read listen. The narrator sounds just like Willem Dafoe. It's awesome! But it's also very...spacey trippy man. Very....free flow poetry style with the dialog. Think dialog ala David Lynch's Wild at Heart. You just follow along.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

"The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" like 100 pages in of a 600 some page book, but fantastic so far!
          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

The Secrets of Building an Alcohol-Producing Still by Vincent Gingery.

For ethanol fuel production, of course
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

So that is what you are building in the deep woods..a secret fuel source,that is named Lightning juice,cause it makes a car go like greased Lightning(sounds like a song might be titled that)

Does the machine use a lot of GREASE???
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Let the Dog Decide, Dale Stavroff, and Severed Souls, Terry Goodkind.

Mostly art.

Comment

Trench Warfare Under Grant & Lee by Earl J. Hess and for fun Angel of Fire by William King ( A Warhammer 40K novel)
                  "I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here
                  (in your head) and here (in your heart) and what you decide to do every day, you will be a good man - or not."
                  ~from Kingdom of Heaven

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
                  ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Finished Stalin: A Biography, now am reading Temple Magic.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

So readers, I go the Prince Lestat come through my Overdrive audiobook. Gonna let it sit there a while before I dare to start listening. :=I:

Comment

Is this an Ann Rice one?
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The new Anne rice book, I was looking at that too but I can't justify spending any extra money right now. Probably in a few months though when the snow really starts to roll in and it gets very dark...

I love my kindle. I'm weeding down my home clutter and going into minimalist mode so when we are ready to move we won't have to pack up oodles of stuff to ship. The ereader really facilitates that process.

Right now, I'm digging back into H.P. Lovecraft again.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Is this an Ann Rice one?
                            Yup. I'm still reading about the bat carrying plague. Then there's Pandemic and then maybe this. Meh. I'm really not in the mood for a complete and utter let down of my first undead baby daddy Lestat.

Comment

Finished reading Temple Magic and am now reading The Battered Bastards of Bastogne (I'm serious that is the name of the book).
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm reading a book my Mum has loaned me at the moment but as soon as it's finished I'm going to dig out my favourite book, The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris. I read it every year around this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X